X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonyle08
    • May 2006

FST Driver

Hey guys, I hada question regarding the FST drivers in the B&W series. Is the driver identical across the whole range. If it is, then should the midrange sound similar across the range, if not, then what makes the midrange different across the range. The reason why I ask this is because I currently have a pair of CM6 with the FST drivers. I plan on upgrading to the 804s which also has the FST drivers. I can't do any side by side comparison because the don't carry the cm6 anymore. I have this feeling in my head that the midrange will sound similar because they both have FST drivers.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

the 800 series has matrix bracing and a curved enclosure. the 802 and up has a marlan head which also helps significantly.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

Also, the cabinet volume differs from each model which will affect the sound.

Comment

• tonyle08
        • May 2006

So do you think this will be a huge step up from the cm6.

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

The size of the FST is not the same either, 160mm in 703 and 150mm in 80x, never understood why.

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

I always wondered about that. Perhaps the larger FST driver in the 703 is responsible for their somewhat overemphasised upper midrange. Maybe the bigger FST driver causes more beaming, and hence less smooth transition between midrange and tweeter.

Is the current 800 series fst driver the same in all models?
            Is the current 800 series newer than the 703?
            Don't get me wrong, I love my 703's (and couldn't have pushed my budget any more, though I would have prefered the 804) but I think they could have improved the sometimes critical midrange to tweeter x-over (I'm expect the 703 v2 will addresss this - we'll see . . .)

While i'm speculating, I wonder why b7w doesn't monitor this forum - it seems to be the main one for their products.

Comment

• tonyle08
              • May 2006

Yeah even though when I audition the speakers I can hear a difference, I always wonder am I paying more for the enclosure and tweeters. I just wish B&W would have differentiated their midranges more instead of just calling them FST drivers. It kinda makes me feel that if I got 800 series, the midrange isn't more special from any other model lineup. I'm paying more money for a higher lineup, I would like to know that extra money is also for an imporved midrange driver.

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

I bought the 703 because the midrange sounded better to me than anything
                else I could afford. Yes it is a little bright in the upper midrange, but it sounds more natural than many other speakers. I wouldn't concentrate on the "quality" of the midrange driver itself. It is a synergy thing.

One thing I noticed about the B&W speakers is that the sound always got better the more you could afford to spend. Maybe they cripple the 703 to make you want to spend more money. I'm not familiar with the model you have now, but most likely if you step up it will sound better. Can you take your current speaker into the store to compare with the newer upgraded model? If so, do that!

Sometimes I regret not waiting longer - not because the midrange driver is better in the next model up, but, because it seemed to be more well integrated. But I got a very good deal on the 703 ($1800 $US), with factory warentee, so I grabbed it.

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dknightd
                  I always wondered about that. Perhaps the larger FST driver in the 703 is responsible for their somewhat overemphasised upper midrange. Maybe the bigger FST driver causes more beaming, and hence less smooth transition between midrange and tweeter.
                  What does an "somewhat overemphasised upper midrange" sound like? I find my 703's to sound very natural. They also sound full (low frequencies) since I changed my CD player. These speakers love good electronics... :W

Comment

• dknightd
                    • Mar 2006

To me the 703 seem to have a peak around 4khz. I agree though, they do sound very natural (which is why I bought them). Maybe my old speakers just had a dip around 4k and my ears are not used to listening to flat speakers.

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
                      • Jun 2005

I'm not sure if the FST is the same in all 800 series floorstanders, but if that is true then midrange differences across the range would probably come down to enclosure and crossover componenets.
                      "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"