X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiophile100%
    • Apr 2005

Midrange comparison

I have doubts about the choice of the midrange as I wrote in the post.
    what do you think about these models:

SB12MNRX25-4 http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php...range-drivers/

MCA12RC http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ges&Itemid=463

12M/4631G00 http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/12m-4631g00.pdf
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What are your criteria for selecting a midrange? Freedom from linear distortion? (resonance, time domain artifacts), harmonic distortion? Specific frequency band? Sensitivity? (to match other system components) Cost? Color of the cone?

Without some stated goals, it is hard to make meaningful comment that doesn't just contribute to the noise floor. Of course, being an engineer, I look at this from an engineering perspective. Many times people will select a specific part for their own emotional response, due to appearance, use in other systems they admire- etc.- there is nothing wrong with that, but the input of others wouldn't help you make a selection.

OTOH, straight forward engineering criteria at least gives you or those responding to you a clear basic target.

In my own case, I find it's necessary to measure and evaluate the drivers personally to make a final choice- there's no substitute for first hand experience, but it does take more time and involvement. And I'll admit I do mostly use engineering criteria to make a final selection, especially lack of time domain issues and low distortion. For me, the rest is a moot point...

To your list of cone based candidates I would also suggest the Vifa NE149-4 5 ½”.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Audiophile100%
      • Apr 2005

no one compared the sb and seas

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

None of the drivers you've linked to contain any kind of shorting rings in their motors and from my perspective that completely disqualifies them all. The scan measures extremely poorly and is a disgrace to the revelator line up. The SB is an oddity, all SBs drivers contain copper in the gap for inductance linearisation, but for some reason their mid range specific, 4" drivers, do not. Al of the measurements I've seen of these display what you'd expect, significantly higher 3rd harmonic than with the other drivers in their line up, it's a bad apple. Then the SEAS driver, whilst certainly well built and with a smooth FR, it suffers the same disgrace as the SB, both measure similarly in that they have a higher and rising third order than drivers with proper shorting rings.

Jon's recommendation of the NE range from Vifa is a good one as those drivers have very well designed motors.

Another driver you may wish to consider is the Eton 3-400/A8/25/MG. Generally I dislike Eton's drivers because they suffer the same issues as the SEAS and SB above, no shorting in the motors and/or very basic motor structures. Typically Eton drivers have very high third harmonic from poor motor design and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot barge pole. This little drivers though measures superbly.

It is a true midrange only driver and must be crossed accordingly, no lower than 300Hz with a 4th order acoustic slope and ideally no higher than 3kHz, with a similarly steep acoustic slope, this being due to the inherent cone resonance. But if used appropriately it should sound fantastic.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
        5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
        Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Jonasz
          • Nov 2004

I would suggest SS 10F/4424 http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/10f-4424g00.pdf

Have them in my Notes and they sound very nice, measures decent and doesn't cost a fortune.

I only use these from 1kHz and up, so if you're crossing in the 300Hz range, I'm sure there's better choices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan-speak-10f-4424g00-hd.gif
Views:	49
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	935991
          Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 22:00 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Face
            • Mar 2007

The 10F is fine from 400hz and up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nb4ZuC9.gif
Views:	69
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	935992
            Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 22:00 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• AudioGurman
              • Jun 2014

If we are talking about 4" I would vote for ScanSpeak 12mu4731t00, very good driver.
              Vifa NE149W nice too but 5".
              Eton 3-400 - is very good but 3" and ask some work in crossover to sounding right way.

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Welcome to the HTguide AudioGurman, if you're the individual behind www.audiogurman.com/ then I thank you for your hard work, it is certainly appreciated! I just noticed that you've posted measurements of one of Morels more recent offerings, it's nice to see that they've got their motors into shape, those measure rather well - this bodes well perhaps for the Esoterics Jon
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• AudioGurman
                  • Jun 2014

Thank you 5th Element, I like HTguide and have been hanging here for some years. There is many interesting projects, clever thoughts and very friendly atmosphere here.
                  Yes, www.audiogurman.com is mine. Welcome to there too!
                  I'm sorry that site on Russian but on the next "engine" English language will be. And I'm sorry for my English...

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Interesting page. Google translate helps. I look forward to seeing the page in English.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"