X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillBramha
    • May 2006

New member with 805 S question

I'm just getting back into high end audio after a long, twenty year (!) absence. I have been amazed at the sound of the B&W 805 S and am considering acquiring a pair for a two channel system. My question: is there a noticable difference between the 805 S and the earlier N805?

Bill
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

For a good answer to that question, here's a link to a review from Hi-Fi Choice magazine (posted on the B&W web site):

Brad

Comment

• BillBramha
      • May 2006

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I'll definately be getting for the 805 S.

Bill

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

I just got them recently, along with the HTM4S center. Couldn't be happier!
        Brad

Comment

• BillBramha
          • May 2006

I have an old Audio Pro subwoofer that was once used with Quad ESL 57's. I'm hoping it will be a nice fit with the 805's as well.

Comment

• weijst
            • Jun 2004

I went from DM602 (S1), to DM602 S3, to 705, to N804, to DM603 S3 to finally end up with my current 805S. All I can say is, WOW!!! I am confident I have reached my final station. The accuracy of these little Nautili is simply amazing! Good luck end enjoy.

ps: do get them in black though :
            Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• audiojunky
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by weijst
              ps: do get them in black though :
              I second that!

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Bill,
                Congrats on your 805S's. My new bedroom HT system is based upon the 805S and it's sister HT speakers. I'm impressed with them. One should keep in mind the limited ultimate SPL available. In smaller rooms these speakers are magic.

Don't skimp on your amplification. Get good 'uns. I'm using Krell KAV series electronics. These speakers, without question, are good enough to justify high end electonics.

Subwoofers, what are you doing? I bought dual B&W ASW800 subs. Wonderful sound I say without any humility. I wanted subs that offered the best chance of a seamless integration with the main speaker. I think I got that and it is important. The bass ain't bad either.

Sparky

Comment

• BillBramha
                  • May 2006

I'm only thinking of the Audio Pro because I already have one and have always enjoyed its tight, coherent sound. I know there are B&W subs that will interface even more seamlessly and when it's time to upgrade, I'll probably head in that direction.

The beauty of these speakers seems to be that they allow the electronics to expand around them. For a while, I'll be using pretty basic Rotel equipment (RA 1062 and 1072) but when the budget allows, the sky's the limit. Class A amplification, tube McIntosh, whatever. Point is, they'll sound fine with the entry level stuff I already own and will only sound better as I upgrade.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"