Matrix 2 S2? does this speaker still compare?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kael6
    • Apr 2006

Matrix 2 S2? does this speaker still compare?

Ive just bought a second hand Matrix 2 S2 set of speakers. They sound great! My Uncle has the Matrix 3 S2 which inspired me to check them out. Im just curious as to how they hold up to the new 600s and 700s. Do they compare to the 800 series? Where do they fit into the economic line/ scale? Thanks and Peace.
    Last edited by kael6; 25 April 2006, 20:51 Tuesday. Reason: mistake typo
  • Graham
    • Feb 2006

The Matrix 802 are wonderful speakers. I have the 802s3. I believe you need to make sure that the circuit protection feature on the crossover is bypassed to get the best out of them though. The S2 had this built in, but it isn't on the S3.

I don't know the 700s but I used to have the 603s2. Frankly they are in completely different leagues. I liked my 600s but once you've tried the 800s there's no way you'll ever go back.

I'm sure the newer 800s sound better but I'm afraid it's unlikely I'll ever buy them. They changed them significantly after the Matrix so that they became much harder to drive (I suspect they changed to better sounding air core inductors which have a higher dcr resistance). My M802s3 sound great with a 50W tube amp but I know that wouldn't be enough for the latest models. And since I assembled the amp myself I'm not about to replace that. So instead I rebuilt the M802 crossovers and stocked up on four spare bass drivers and two spare tweeters and am going to hang on to them as long as I can!

Comment

• JürgenW
      • Jul 2004

@ kael6
      I understand that you have the Matrix 2 series 2. B&W has some information about it in their back catalogue.

I still use Matrix 3 series 2 in my second installation. They were replaced as front speakers by Matrix 801 series 3 and series 2.
      Of course there is a difference in quality between the Matrix 800's and the older ones. Main thing I think is that the older ones don't give so much details and bass, but there are musically nicely balanced.
      I would prefer them to the 600, but it's more difficult for me to compare them to the 700. The 700 is very much tweeter-orientated, so it has in my opinion another character and the question is what you like more.

Comment

• kael6
        • Apr 2006

Thanks for the reply, Yeah i have the older matrix 2 series 2 which are your matrix 3 standmount versions. I am blown away at he bass of these midsize speakers.(I do have a smaller livingroom so im sure that helps) Your bass must be amazing with the double 8 inch drivers! There are a set of these on ebay right now but i cant bid for they wont ship to Canada. So what you are saying is these matrix series predated the 800 series. So if im correct the 800s took the matrix tech and added the Natalus Tech and made an in between. Some day ill find some of you seconds(matrix 3s) and be very happy!! But can i complane? I have an amazing set of b&ws that make my jaw drop!!!!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"