X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coxhaus
    • Apr 2006

Fishing for Speakers for Home Theater only

I bought a Krell HTS 5.1 and Showcase 5 amp. It is a great combination. I would highly recommend them. The quality of the sound is spectacular. I have pretty high-end tubes for my 2 channel and the Krell is along the same lines in quality. I am currently using B&W speakers. I tested some 600-series (LCR6 s2) in the front and rear. I thought the LCR6 s2 would work on my built-in cabinets up high. I forgot about the rear porting. The Krell was much higher quality than the 600s. I noticed right way with the 600s that there was not any top air. I want something better but only for home theater. I have a tube 2-channel in a different room for stereo. I am currently using a B&W CMDNT1 center with McIntosh ML1 which I bought new in ’73. I am using B&W LCR6 S2 in the rear. The 600s are definitely going. The CMDNT1 is not bad. It could use a little fuller sound. The McIntosh I have had a long time but they have a nice tone. I am still fishing for speakers. What speaker would you use for home theater only? With home theater only is there any reason to run large speakers in the front L & R? I have the large HSU sub which will rattle my windows currently. My room size is a rectangle 23x17x9 with acoustic tile on the ceiling and wood floors and walls. The room has nice sound but can’t tolerate a lot of bass.
    There is one more issue with my room. The back speakers need to sit on a built-in cabinet. There is not really room for floor standing speakers in the rear. Also I am looking for a good full sounding center speaker which can set on top of a very large rear projection HDTV to go with the rest of the speakers. What combination of speakers would you use?
  • coxhaus
    • Apr 2006

I guess I should add I have had B&W 801 for many years so I am looking for a B&W solution. I have thought about moving my B&W 801 to my home theater as the fronts. The Krell Showcase may be a little light as an amp. I also was thinking a speaker that large is not required since I was using a sub. What are your thoughts? Maybe 805s all around, but what center speaker? Anybody using Krell for home theater?

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

hve 805s all the way around...would the HTM4s not be the best match?

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

You know, I actually found the 704s to be a better HT speaker.

Read my comment in this thread:

At the time I had not heard the 704/703 with a movie, but you could tell just by the music. I have semi-watched (didn't watch the whole thing) a movie with a full 704 setup (Thanks Chris), and even though it was only powered by an A/V receiver, I did like the feel of it more with movies than my 805s.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Coxhaus,
          Welcome to the forum. IMHO you sound like you won't be happy unless ALL your HT components are evenly matched, both in quality and sound. I have Krell Amps as well and the HTS 5.1 and Showcase are nice pieces. I would look into 804S for L&R, then 805S for the Sr&Sl without stands, and would go the extra $$ for htm3s for the center.

The center IS the most important speaker in HT as all the voices and main action comes from the center. Also many more films have very little surround information and much more info directed at the front speakers.

The "timbre" of staying all in 800 series will match your Krell very well.

804S and 805S are considerably less $$ than the 803 on down.....

Comment

• Audiophiliac
            • Apr 2006

I agree. The Krell/B&W combo does AWESOME for theater. One of our clients has the Krell HTS, TAS 5.1 amp, FPB300 monoblocks, N800 for front, HTM2 center, 802 for rears, SCM1 for EX, and a DD18 sub. All I can say is wow.

Scale it down a bit and it will still sound good. Our demo theater used 802 front, HTM1 center, 4 SCM1 for rears/ex and an ASW800 with the Krell Showcase stuff and it was HOT! We have changed things around and are now using Anthem D1/P2/P5, and 803D, HTM2D, and 4 x CWM LCR8 in-walls for rears/EX and ASW825 and it is still HOT!

So, go with any of the 800 series and you will be in home theater heaven.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"