X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jppenn
    • Mar 2006

What speaker wire for my 802D's??

Hello, I push my B&W 802D's with a Bryston 14BSST (600wpc 8 ohms). I am in a quandry as to what bi-wired speaker cables to buy. I have looked at Acoustic Zen satori's, Analysis Plus oval 9's, etc. I would like to stay around 600.00 used...so that would mean around 1000-1200 retail. I listen to mostly jazz and love the immediacy of acoustic bass, piano and drums, not to mention Enrico Rava's or Tomas Stanko's horn. thanks for the help!
  • r100gs
    • May 2005

Look below and click on Cat Cables.
    Jay

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

Oh please god not ANOTHER best cable discussion !

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Im rockin Monster Cable in wall 12 gauge right now...
        *shrug* It works... can i uprade? Sure! Will I? yes.. but I have other things to worry about first.

Sounds like your to the point where you have to start to think about cables!! Thats a nice amp!
        I R JEALOUS! :T
        B&W

Comment

• jppenn
          • Mar 2006

Thanks for the help Celeb. I did not ask for the "best" cable, rather, I asked for help. Everyone is in this hobby at a different place and time so disturbing someone who doesn't want to see another "best cable" discussion was the furthest from my mind.

Comment

• JudyLou
            • Apr 2006

Hi jppenn - try audioquest if you can - they 800 range seem to like them. They don't come cheap (well in South Africa that is)

Hope you come right!

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Dang... I'm surprise Lex hasn't jumped on this yet. lol
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JudyLou
                Hi jppenn - try audioquest if you can - they 800 range seem to like them. They don't come cheap (well in South Africa that is)

Hope you come right!
                Yup! I just I have a little over a doezen AQ cables on the way to me right now....

Although none are speaker, all audio and video.
                B&W

Comment

• GregLett
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                  Oh please god not ANOTHER best cable discussion !
                  :roflmao:
                  Greg

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Guys,

Be carefull - this is sooooo close to going outside the posting rules...

Geoff

Comment

• snowball
                      • Feb 2006

i never understood what are these gauges...

like a 16 gauge wire.i am sure it has to do with the metal of the wire,but what differences are there in using less-more gauge cables?

ex:

18 gauge wire vs 12 gauge wire.
                      what is the difference?how does it affect sound?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by snowball
                        i never understood what are these gauges...

like a 16 gauge wire.i am sure it has to do with the metal of the wire,but what differences are there in using less-more gauge cables?

ex:

18 gauge wire vs 12 gauge wire.
                        what is the difference?how does it affect sound?
                        Wire gauge is just a measurement of how thick the wire is. The lower the number the thicker the wire. It is believed that for longer runs, a thicker gauge wire should be used. Another theory is that for bass, thicker is better, but for treble, thinner is better.

I have heard some great thin wires and thick ones. There is more to it than just the gauge.
                        Steel

Comment

• bass007
                          • Feb 2006

I would recommend Cardas Neutral Reference, I think its a very good cable and very balanced without drawing attention to the higher Freq.

Alternativley Chord signature spk cables is a very good cable, and goes well with B&W spks. IMHO :T

Comment

• snowball
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LikeCoiledSteel
                            Wire gauge is just a measurement of how thick the wire is. The lower the number the thicker the wire. It is believed that for longer runs, a thicker gauge wire should be used. Another theory is that for bass, thicker is better, but for treble, thinner is better.

I have heard some great thin wires and thick ones. There is more to it than just the gauge.
                            Steel
                            thanks! :T

when you say long runs how long do you mean?
                            certainly,a cable cannot be judged just by its gauge,i just wanted to get some more food for my brain!

another q:
                            you say theory.so its up to my ears to decide right?
                            like,if i was getting two 804's and no sub(which i am,haha) if i used a thicker wire,would i really get a better bass or just "think"i got a better bass from the thicker cables?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by snowball
                              thanks! :T

when you say long runs how long do you mean?
                              certainly,a cable cannot be judged just by its gauge,i just wanted to get some more food for my brain!

another q:
                              you say theory.so its up to my ears to decide right?
                              like,if i was getting two 804's and no sub(which i am,haha) if i used a thicker wire,would i really get a better bass or just "think"i got a better bass from the thicker cables?
                              Runs of speaker wire are usually 12ft. for main speakers and of course longer for surrounds. I use 16 gauge for my surrounds with no problem (30 ft.)
                              For biwiring, some use a thinner gauge for the top post and a thicker wire for the bottom post.

Comparing wire types and brands is a very subjective thing. Inductance is a factor, so is wire type (copper, Silver), wire construction itself (braided, insulated, solid core, hollow oval...)
                              Synergy also plays its part. Some wires can tend to bring out the higher freq., whick is ok for a laid back speaker but can be too forward in some other speakers. I have seen some wire brands to sound muffled and others to kill the bass. Some brands and types are all around great performers. Some are just insanely overpriced.
                              Of course comparing brands cannot be done on this site.
                              Steel

Comment

• snowball
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LikeCoiledSteel
                                Runs of speaker wire are usually 12ft. for main speakers and of course longer for surrounds. I use 16 gauge for my surrounds with no problem (30 ft.)
                                For biwiring, some use a thinner gauge for the top post and a thicker wire for the bottom post.

Comparing wire types and brands is a very subjective thing. Inductance is a factor, so is wire type (copper, Silver), wire construction itself (braided, insulated, solid core, hollow oval...)
                                Synergy also plays its part. Some wires can tend to bring out the higher freq., whick is ok for a laid back speaker but can be too forward in some other speakers. I have seen some wire brands to sound muffled and others to kill the bass. Some brands and types are all around great performers. Some are just insanely overpriced.
                                Of course comparing brands cannot be done on this site.
                                Steel
                                ok thanks!!!

i will be looking deeper into this cable theory,later on when i would be ready to purchase my system!!!

Comment

• caleb
                                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by JudyLou

Hope you come right!
                                  Hey Judylou,

Have you not noticed - NOTHING comes cheap in SOuth Africa - its the rip off capital of the world.

Just look at car prices for a good example - but we keep on buying dont we?

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"