X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgt
    • Mar 2005

My first HT

Hey Guys,
    I am in the process of picking out components for my first home theatre. I have picked out the following items and thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions...so please throw them out there.

Components:
    Fronts: 804S ($2,800)
    Center: HTM3S ($1,750)
    Rears: 602S3 (already own)
    Pre/Pro: Outlaw 990 ($2,400 for Pre/Pro and Amp)
    Amp: Outlaw 7500
    CD/DVD: Marantz DV6600 ($550)
    TV: Sony KDSR50/60XBR1 ($3,500 or $4,500 depending on size)

Do you guys think I could get away with the HTM4S instead of the HTM3S? Money is a factor...

Thanks in advance for the opinions/suggestions...
    Last edited by kgt; 23 February 2006, 16:21 Thursday.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I would get the htm3s over the htm4s.

im not too confident on your pre/pro and amp choice though, but if you have heard it and like the combination, i say go for it! you're the one that gets to enjoy it!
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kgt
      • Mar 2005

Thanks Siko - any suggestions for a pre/pro and amp in a similar price range?

Comment

• nikos
        • Dec 2005

Spend your money geting a powerfull AMP Rotel 1095 and skip on the pre/pro for
        now until they finalize the HDMI 1.3. Then get the Rotel 1068 replacement.

If you want your system to be future proof with HD sound and video you have to wait...

A cheap pre/pro will get you by until then. Basically spend your cash in other areas of your system even cables...since you're doing it right...do it right.

This is what I've learned from reading these boards for the past few months.

Nick

I just bought the whole 600's series package and I'm waiting on the pre/pro purchase...
        Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• kgt
          • Mar 2005

Thanks Niko - which pre/pro might you suggest? Unfortunately, there is probably always going to be something on the horizon in terms of 'next generation' technology.

Regarding the 1095, it is 200X5 as is the outlaw 7500 - I haven't A/B compared these, but I will in the future. I'm not yet an audiophile, therefore I question whether or not I will be able to discern a big difference. Looking forward to testing them, though....

Comment

• wca156
            • Jun 2005

I got the HTM3S to match my 803S fronts and am very satisfied. BTW, looks like a pretty good price on your speakers also!
            Bill

Comment

• nikos
              • Dec 2005

You're absolutely right about always something on the horizon...
              but you still have to be smart about it.

Most of the pre/pro's on the market are a few years old and have been selling well. Every few years there are major changes and not just simple tweaks.
              The HDMI standard being an example as its at 1.1 standard and lot of the big players are waiting till 1.3 finalizes.

the move from DVD to HD DVD and blueray etc is a big change in the industry not a simple repackage. HD Audio and the new Dolby.... not mention other features such as auto eq for your room, networking your components to your PC for management and mp3 content....

When I'm buying these components I feel good about the speakers, and amp to be a long investment 10 years is not unreal. The pre/pro is probably the one piece of component having the shortest lifecycle with major changes happening about 3-4 years give or take.

If you buy a 3-4 year old technology wise model(like most of the pre/pro's in the market) you're buying something that might be obsolete in 5-6 months. Thats what I'm warning you about.

I've heard the Rotel units 1068 with a 1075 and 1095 and it's really hard to resist temptation in having one in my living room. I was even considering Denon the 4306 because of all the features it has built in upconversion to 1080i over HDMI, the networking, ipod connectivity etc...but I kep asking here and reading around *I never got to demo a 4306*

The consensus was simple the Rotel has superior sound and the Denon has superior features. If you're budget can afford it Classe, Krell is what I'd be buying. Maybe even the digital amp from Rotel 1077.

I even looked at the Integra 10.5 that is modular and you can add the cards with the features you want...but even those had limitations...it might still be able to beat the curve by releasing a HDMI 1.3 card later on... but for now its only HDMI to 480p that in my opinion is worthless...

Another one I considered was the latest integrated unit from Adcom.
              It looks great on paper, but I couldnt find anything on it in a review or anyone with experience with the unit...

I'm no expert in all of this in any way as I am slowly but surely building my first
              HT... I only have the Panasonic PT-AE900U HD projector and the B&W 600 series package with 604's as mains. I've just been reading lots and sampling some. I don't have a pre/pro or amp that are worthy....and was going to keep my old JBL speakers and buy a pre/pro +amp now and then slowly replace my speakers.... but I decided *with the help of others from the Rotel forum* that my money is best spent somewhere else...and not on a pre/pro.

Try to hear what you buy, somehow.... Thats why I'm leaning to the 1068 pre/pro but I'm waiting for the succesor... because my ears really liked what they heard.

I'm jealous about your speakers...are you buying those new? PM me where you get those discounts

Good luck and patience my friend....

Nikos
              Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• EastCoaster
                • Jan 2006

[QUOTE=kgt]Fronts: 804S ($2,800)
                QUOTE]

Who is letting you have a pair of 804S for $2,800?

Comment

• JimTW
                  • Apr 2005

[QUOTE=EastCoaster]
                  Originally posted by kgt
                  Fronts: 804S ($2,800)
                  QUOTE]

Who is letting you have a pair of 804S for $2,800?
                  Ya man! Who? :B

Comment

• stewfoo
                    • Jul 2005

That must be a typo. If your purchase is imminent, you will be hard-pressed to find a 1095 amp. I heard they are backordered for a while. 1077 is a good option.
                    Stew

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

The trouble will be to match your speakers with a good amp/pre in your budget range.

I don't like rotel. I had one and I will not again. What I would do if I was you is to look into a decent receiver that supports the use of an external amp. Whatever the current denon is in the 3000 line that has audessy eq comes to mind.

Then put other money into a good amp. I used a cinnenova grande 5 with the 804n's that I had. that combination would blow your budget, but you would get a good amp that will last you (300wx5) and a into a cheap receiver that you could upgrade in the next 2 years.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• worldys
                        • Dec 2005

[QUOTE=sikoniko]I would get the htm3s over the htm4s.
                        QUOTE]

i agree, go for the 3s, the 4s will leave you wanting more

Comment

• kgt
                          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As for the speakers, yes, I'm buying these new from a shop in MD. That is not their advertised price and I think the dealer is extending this price to me because I’m young and he figures I’ll be back for many years. Not to mention, my family has bought from him in the past. Just out of curiosity, what do 804S's generally sell for? I figured they generally went for 1,750/ea or so. On the same note, what do 803S’s usually go for?

As for Classe/Krell - those units are out of my price range for the time being. I have yet to find a negative review about Outlaw (aside from an aesthetic perspective) and have been advised that the Outlaw pieces should be 'good enough' to run the setup that I'm looking at. (Perhaps the reviewers are not holding ‘B&W 800 Series’ standards??)

Regarding future HD technology, maybe I’m too inexperienced when it comes to HT, but I figure (when it all comes out) I’ll just buy a new DVD/CD player and send the video directly to the TV and the audio to the pre/pro…that is, until I upgrade the pre/pro. What are the cons to this setup? The current limitations are all video related, not audio, right?

Thanks again.

Comment

• wca156
                            • Jun 2005

When I looked at the 804S' a few months ago, the list price was $2,000 each and the 803S' were $2,750 each. Obviously a discount was given, but nothing like yours. Grab it before the cloud lifts.
                            Bill

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"