X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snowball
    • Feb 2006

804's and their amps

HI!!!

So i am getting two 804 and the rotel RB-1090 power amp and the RC-1090 pre-amp.Or the RB-1080 and the RC-1070

I was wondering which combination of speakers and amps is best ,since i am not really experienced in this domain...(coupling speakers and amps)
    Sure,the 1090's are better,but if you can confirm it or give me an other suggestion i will be more than happy to check them out!!!!

my room is a rectangle about 6.5m x 4,do you suppose the accoustics are going to be ok for the 804?

i am not sure about getting a sub for the moment,maybe later!

the price for these will be in average 5.5-6.5k euros...(dependin on the sub and the amps)

if you can help me out ;x( :P ...

William
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I have a RC-1070 pre and RB-1070 amp driving my 804N. Nice detail and soundstage. Bass is somewhat lacking so I added an ASW800 sub. I have been contemplating upgrading the pre to the RC-1090 (discont. in NA), hard to find. Some users have said no change in sonic ability between the 2, others have said 'some' but not worth the extra $700, yet other swear by the RC-1090. Not sure what i will do since I can't demo then side by side. Anyway, I am happy with my current setup, just got the incurable upgraditis.

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

IMO, from having tested 804's, 803's, the 1075 (120 wpc) and 1095 (200 wpc), I think the 804's are in an odd spot for power needs. I ran my 703's just fine with the 1075. At the same time, there's no way the 1075 can power the 803's; they just lose too much of the lower end. The 1095 could handle them, but there was room for improvement. So, I really think the 1070 is going to be underpowering the 804's. And I'm sure you'd love the 1090 (if you can find one), but the 'sweet spot' would probaby be the 1080.

Comment

• snowball
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by grit
        IMO, from having tested 804's, 803's, the 1075 (120 wpc) and 1095 (200 wpc), I think the 804's are in an odd spot for power needs. I ran my 703's just fine with the 1075. At the same time, there's no way the 1075 can power the 803's; they just lose too much of the lower end. The 1095 could handle them, but there was room for improvement. So, I really think the 1070 is going to be underpowering the 804's. And I'm sure you'd love the 1090 (if you can find one), but the 'sweet spot' would probaby be the 1080.
        actually i was referring to the rb-1080 power amp and the rb-1070 pre-amp...
        so you think that these amps are going to be ok for my 804's?
        if you can syggest anything else you might think would be better,please do!
        but remember,i am on a limit here(5.5-6k euros) and i have heard that rotel are excelent in quality-money ratio!

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

DOH! Sorry, thought you were debating amps; I didn't read close enough. No, I think yer probaby doing as well as you can at that price point. I've heard the 804's with this combo and I can say you'll have a VERY pleasing combo there.

Your next step will take you into $5000 amps (US), which is well beyond your stated budget.

Comment

• snowball
            • Feb 2006

Thanx everybody!!!!

i think the RB-1090 and the RC-1090 are the candidates to be adopted...

i will get back to you when the babies arrive!

8)

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Where you at Snowball - North America no longer offers the RC-1090 new unless you can find one at a dealer. Europe still offers the RC-1090. A used RC-1090 can be found for $800.

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Originally posted by snowball
                Thanx everybody!!!!

i think the RB-1090 and the RC-1090 are the candidates to be adopted...

i will get back to you when the babies arrive!

8)
                The RB-1090 is definitely the way to go. As for the RC-1090 over the 1070 the only
                advantage the RC-1090 has is a nice display, and more bells and whistles, their is no
                sonic advantage, that I heard.
                Greg

Comment

• snowball
                  • Feb 2006

My dealer has it,i saw it!

errm a silly question in my opinion:
                  what is the difference between
                  N804
                  804S(S=Signature?)

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

I believe the difference between Nautilus & Signature may be the crossover - not for sure though.

Comment

• ChrisssB
                      • Feb 2006

My dealer has it,i saw it!

errm a silly question in my opinion:
                      what is the difference between
                      N804
                      804S(S=Signature?)
                      N804 = nautilus 804 (nautilus range)
                      804S = 804 standard (new range, standard means no diamond tweeter)

Comment

• snowball
                        • Feb 2006

Thank you!!!!

is it worth it it?the diamond tweeter i mean
                        How much is the difference(price) between N804 and 804s?

Comment

• ChrisssB
                          • Feb 2006

The diamond tweeter is better but unfortunately there is only 804S! You can find diamond tweeters in 803D and up!
                          N804 is not in production anymore... and I dont know how much it costs. For 804S the punishment is 4.000 Euros. I have to say tho that it's very well spend money :-)

Comment

• NonSense
                            • Nov 2003

I once read a review comparing the N804 and the 804S models. As described in the article, the major difference seemed to be with regards to the tweeter section. If I recall correctly, the new model employed a 1st order crossover for the tweeter, and a slight adjustment in the possitioning of the tweeter on the cabinet to compensate for phase changes.

With identical source components, the reviewer claimed the midrange to high frequency transition on the 804S seemed slightly smoother and the tweeter seemed a little more laid back. (relatively speaking I would guess) The reviewer went on to note that he was not sure that he prefered the new sound even though it struck him that it could have been a more natural reproduction. The differences being subtle but noticeable. The reviewer had mentioned that he may have become accustomed to the Nautilus sound which was likely affecting a preference.
                            Bruce

Comment

• abqnmusa
                              • Jan 2006

When I had the RC-1090 preamp and RB-1080 amp it drove the Nautilus 804's well. The amp had good control over the cones, and sound was excellent.

Go with the RB-1080 for your 804's

Comment

• akhter
                                • Jun 2005

Thank you!!!!

is it worth it it?the diamond tweeter i mean
                                How much is the difference(price) between N804 and 804s?
                                When I got my N804 about six months ago, they were USD 2700 (discounted from USD 3500 since they were discontinued) versus USD4000 for the new 804S. From what I hear, its hard to get a new N804 now. Experienced listeners can probably tell the difference, but I could not maybe because it was my first real foray into high end. My next upgrade will be the 802D or whatever replaces it in 2-3 years.

Comment

• snowball
                                  • Feb 2006

ok i will do my reasearch on the N and S's!

i forgot to mention that my rig will be just for 2ch music listening.....
                                  maybe now you will get a clearer idea on what i am looking for....

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"