X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abadr
    • Jan 2006

Sub needed for 602s3?

Hi there - My current setup consists of rotel cd/amp (ra03) and a paid of 602s.

However, with my current room arrangement (in my bedroom - I'm a student!), I get pretty bad issues with the bass from my B&Ws being almost inaudiable in most listening positions. Also, the bass is perhaps not as extended as I woud like.

Here's my question: would adding a sub improve matters or would I have the same issues with cancellation?

I was thinking of something along the lines of the ASW 600 - does anyone have experience with this pairing?

I live in a flat as well, so the sub might be overkill - earning me some uhappy neighbours.

Thanks in advance!
  • Ultrasonic
    • Feb 2006

Subs usually degrade 2ch music system unless you are spending megabucks on one with room EQ. Small rooms especially! I too have a small room and when i bought the cdm 9NTs i was worried about the bass boom issue... I now have the best bass performance ever without a sub (i had a rel strata III) not a bad sub at all but a 3way full range speaker will provide much more coherent bass than standmount/sub combo. I used to run some expensive Jm lab electra standmounts witht the Rel. The 9NTS beats that combo in every respect. Also, the Rotel combo is a nice one but i found the RA 01 series abit lean sounding which is probably what you are experiencing through the 602's. I used to have some with an RC-03 pre amp and 2x RB-03 power amps bridged(180wpc) and although the bass had more control than when used with an RA-01/02 it still lacked depth. Id say sell the 602's on ebay for about £200 and get some 603/604 instead of adding a sub. Being front ported they are less sensitive to placement and small rooms.

HTH's
    Ultra

p.s im from the uk too :T

Comment

• drsiebling
      • Jan 2006

I've been using a M&K MX-125 sub with my 602s3s for a few years now. I've been VERY pleased with this combination! You can generally find these subs used for around $500-$700. They are built like a tank and have 2 12" woofers: one forward firing and one down firing. A 125 watt internal amp is included. www.mksound.com will have all the info you need on this model.

Good Luck!

Comment

• abadr
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the input guys.

Ultrasonic, The 602s are also front ported - thought I wouldn't have issues!

Floorstanders probably wouldn't be the best solution either - I've got the 602s on stands and need the extra height - my desk's pretty tall, as is my bed - my two listening positions Don't want the tweeters firing into my knees :S

If you search for my other posts there's images of my setup there - gotta run now so can't post again atm.

If you've any more suggestions feel free to butt in!

Thanks again!

Comment

• Ultrasonic
          • Feb 2006

Ah yes, i see what the problem is-the nexus 6 are good stands but are designed for smaller speakers. Get some SE24s and fill them with sand, i think you'll find the bass gaining lots more autority and power 8) . Trust me,ive been there and done that! I tried 3 different atacama stands with the 602 s3 altogether and the SE 24 were the best by far. Nexus 6-with or without sand sounded too light in the bass and thin in the mids. It surprising how much effect the stand can have on standmounts. This upgrade doesn't cost too much either and is well worth it. Also if you are using QED silver anniversary, try changing that at some point to XT300 at £10 p/m or even better some 2nd hand Genesis. Huge difference. The silver anniversary is way overhyped and is actually very flat and lifeless. I sued it for years thinkin it was great because of the numerous awards it won...i was shocked when i heard a proper speaker cable, ths SA was strangling my system! :E

HTH's
          Ultra

Comment

• abadr
            • Jan 2006

Ultrasonic, thanks for the advice - I might give some of those stands a listen!

The cable is the Silver Anniversary XT - have you had experience with this cable as well?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"