X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

100W enough for CDM 9NTs?

Until recently, I was running my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX receiver (100W x 7) with B&W 602s, 601s, and CC6 speakers (and Velodyne sub) in a 5.1 arrangement. I have been very pleased with this setup for both multi-channel music and movies. Recently, however, I received an small influx of cash and decided to upgrade the fronts to CDM 9NTs and the center to a CDM CNT. With this new arrangement, I have had the receiver shut down on me twice now, in movie scenes with hard-hitting bass (e.g., loud explosions). I'm guessing the caused is the low minimum resistance (3 ohms) of the 9NTs.

So, until the next cash influx, when I am able to power the fronts with a new 2-channel amp (for example, the Rotel RB-1080), I'm considering how to prevent this problem in the meantime. One solution I've considered (in lieu of just turning the volume down) is to set the speaker size to Small, and set the crossover frequency to 50 Hz. Does this sound like a reasonable solution? Will this prevent the receiver shutdown? I would really like to use the 9NTs full-range, but don't want to damage them with inadequate power.

Thoughts? I appreciate any comments or additional suggestions you can provide.
    Brad
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Sorry, this was meant for Club B&W...
    Brad

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"