X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctnsupra1
    • Dec 2006

Sub or Bass Bins for new Modula build??

Well finally after exactly one year of completing my Modula MT crossovers (RS28a tweeter version) I built the boxes. And wow! These things are absolutely incredible in clarity and definition. I've been watching movies and listening to music non stop for the last few days. My question is two parts 1) What's the difference between bass bins vs subs and 2) is there any reason why I should build one over the other? I'm thinking of a plate amp and a ported 10" in each cabinet acting as stands. Thanks in advance.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Typically when someone says sub, they use the crossover in their receiver and cross ~60 - 80hz to the sub. When they use the term bass bin, they add an electric crossover, such as a behringer dcx 2496, and cross much higher, say 200 - 250hz. - It basically becomes a 3-way speaker.

While the Modula's and other 2-way designs can do bass down to ~80hz, the midrange improves when relieved of the bass duties. The downside is of course cost. And, you'll want to make sure your bass bins have nice, tight, distortion free response well past your crossover frequencies. So, that somewhat rules out the big monsterous HT subs.

And remember, there is no replacement for displacement. A 10" sub is going to be somewhat limited compared to internet forum normal.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Ryan covered most of the important points...

The idea with bass bins is to take the workload off the midwoofers. That doesn't occur when a sub is used.

I don't think a plate amp is necessarily the best choice for bass bins. I'd go with a outboard active XO something like the Behringer the CX2310 or CX3400, and a low cost power amp.

When time permits I'll be building bins to augment the output from the NeoDcc. The bins will be sealed boxes each containing a pair of Dayton RSS265HF. I have the drivers and construction materials, so it's just a matter of finding the time for the build.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"