X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

Foam Plugs

I have read about foam plugs that B&W includes with some speakers to plug into the ports to reduce bass output. I have a pair of DM 605 S2 and I was wondering if I could use plugs to reduce some boomyness in my room. What are the plugs made of? Is the foam similar to the foam used in the swimming pool "noodle" floats? Would I get the same effect by tweaking with the level and EQ settings of the sub amps? (see attachment)
    Attached Files
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hello Stoney, you could use the foam from those noodles to plug up the ports, it will tighten the bass up and help control some of the unruly bass. You may try setting the EQ curve for the flattest response provided, and go from there. Also how close are your speakers to the back wall?
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• worldys
      • Dec 2005

i had pair of 604s2 once and found that the base was cleaner after i plugged, b&w used to provide two types of foam, a dense foam and a more spongy foam with larger locules, in theory to have less of plugging effect, the spongier foam seemed silly to me, kind of like straddling the fence

if you lost your foam plugs, there isn't anything special about the ones b&w provides, any dense foam will do

cheers

s

Comment

• Stoney
        • Dec 2004

Thank you for the replys.
        Robert;
        I posted a thread here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=18281
        with this and some other questions that include my set up and room dimensions. The driver faces are about 20" from the front wall (too close) but I am thinking that moving them further enough out to make much of a differance would be difficult.
        Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
        Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
        B&W DM605 S2 Mains
        DM602 S2 Surrounds
        DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
        CC6 S2 Center.
        ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"