X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmalke
    • Jan 2006

FPM Series Question

I listened to the FPM6 series today with the FPM4's acting as rears. I thought they sounded spectacular for a wall mounted speaker. However, at the price I believe the 704's would be the better buy (but I do have my reasons for desiring wall mounted). The one thing that really stood out to me was the lack of bass from the PV-1. It sounded great...just no ground shaking bass for a HT. I would guess the sub is created like this on purpose to compensate the FPM's lack of mid range and high bass.
    My question is: What would be a good alternative sub to use in this situation that would A) help out the FPM's, but at the same time get somewhat low...20-22 range and B) be in the $1500 dollar range and C) most importantly sound good mated to the FPM's.
    I was considering adding two ASW600's but did not know really how or if that would work. Also thought about the Def Tech Supercube II.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

Honestly, the Def Tech is barely Mid-fi. I would choose any b&W sub over the best def-tech. I have a buddy who works at Directed Electronics. They make Viper car alarms, orion car amps, precision power, hornet..etc. He could have gotten me 75% off... which is employee cost.. and I rejected it. They are not in the same league as the B&W speakers/subs...

I love the FPM series. I used an FPM 6 as a wall mounted center channel at my last house. Either direction you decide to go I would try the Velodyne DD-10 . I think that it may be a tad bit over your limit. But, I am promising you that you will love it. The benefit of these are that you can perfectly adjust your crossover point with an on-screen spectrum analyzer. These are incredibly accurate, musical subs. .... and they have some serious slam. You should go audition them and see what you think
    Stew
    Stew

Comment

• alpina
      • Nov 2005

nice to see an fpm thread few and few between

we were originally looking at 705's with htm7 with asw700 set but have decided to go with fpm's instead.

we have a 50" pioneer and are looking to go with fpm5's for front and rears and fpm6 for center with pv1 sub. for those who have these speakers or know of them, are fpm5's the way to go for rears or should we go with 4's?

fpm's are quite expensive, especially when compared with speakers like the 705's but at the end of the day, aesthetics and space in a big issue for us and we feel these speakers will do our system justice.

the pv1 is an expensive sub for what it is but its all about looks i guess. we too looked at the asw700 and dd12 velodyne but are still swayed by the looks for the pv1.

btw, we are looking at these speakers in a blk on blk configuration.

love to hear more about these little publicised speakers.

cheers,

julie
      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• tmalke
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by stewfoo
        Honestly, the Def Tech is barely Mid-fi. I would choose any b&W sub over the best def-tech. I have a buddy who works at Directed Electronics. They make Viper car alarms, orion car amps, precision power, hornet..etc. He could have gotten me 75% off... which is employee cost.. and I rejected it. They are not in the same league as the B&W speakers/subs...

I love the FPM series. I used an FPM 6 as a wall mounted center channel at my last house. Either direction you decide to go I would try the Velodyne DD-10 . I think that it may be a tad bit over your limit. But, I am promising you that you will love it. The benefit of these are that you can perfectly adjust your crossover point with an on-screen spectrum analyzer. These are incredibly accurate, musical subs. .... and they have some serious slam. You should go audition them and see what you think
        Stew
        Stew, thanks for the info. I found the DD10 on line...not too bad on the price. So you feel that the Velodyne would be able to make up where the FPM's fall off and still deliver that HT bass whene needed?
        I also see the Sunfire TrueSub EQ 2700 at the same price point, know anything about this unit?

Comment

• tmalke
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by alpina

we were originally looking at 705's with htm7 with asw700 set but have decided to go with fpm's instead.

we have a 50" pioneer and are looking to go with fpm5's for front and rears and fpm6 for center with pv1 sub. for those who have these speakers or know of them, are fpm5's the way to go for rears or should we go with 4's?

fpm's are quite expensive, especially when compared with speakers like the 705's but at the end of the day, aesthetics and space in a big issue for us and we feel these speakers will do our system justice.

the pv1 is an expensive sub for what it is but its all about looks i guess. we too looked at the asw700 and dd12 velodyne but are still swayed by the looks for the pv1.

cheers,

julie
          Julie, how big is the room? I am considering 6's up front and 4's in the rear, but only b/c of the size of the room. If the room were smaller I would probably go w/ 2's for the rear.
          You are right about the looks of the pv-1, nice. It is probably one "tightest" subs I have heard in a long time...playing music. In an HT setting I feel it loses quite a bit on the really low end.

Comment

• stewfoo
            • Jul 2005

The DD series has been out for two years. But the software is constantly upgraded. The benefit is that you can perfectly match the crossover points for the sub and mains, as well as equalize any modes and too some extent the nulls. Go to the Velodyne website and find a local dealer to test one out.
            I am telling you that these subs rock. I just got rid of the REL stentor which is fine for 2ch. But, for HT it was lacking impact.
            Stew

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

cheers,

julie
              I personally love the FPMs and probably post more questions and answers about them on various sites then all else combined

I have 6s for fronts 4 for rears and centre and the PV1 for the. Its all powered by a Rotel 1067 and its sounds great! I was originally going to get a REL Q 150 for the sub but went with the PV1 because I live in an loft and didnt need something more powerful.

I too went with Black on Black. Scroll to the bottom of this page for pictures

Comment

• alpina
                • Nov 2005

room is pretty large as its a kitchen/living room combined (open plan). have posted exact size before but from memory its about 4.6mts wide, 4.1mts ht and maybe 9mts across.

don't want to go 6's for fronts as they would be longer than plasma and probably look funny. 6 for center is fine though and should look pretty cool.

so what do you think for rears?

cheers,

julie
                My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• tmalke
                  • Jan 2006

room is pretty large as its a kitchen/living room combined (open plan). have posted exact size before but from memory its about 4.6mts wide, 4.1mts ht and maybe 9mts across.

don't want to go 6's for fronts as they would be longer than plasma and probably look funny. 6 for center is fine though and should look pretty cool.

cheers,

julie
                  I would go with the 4's in the rear...just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

cheers,

julie

julie what happend to the 7 series you were going with in the front? Werent you thinking of that? Sorry if I got you confused with someone else.

I have the 6s with a 42 in plasma and they dont look to big.

Here are a couple of recent pics after I change I made to the sub
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

for those who have these speakers or know of them, are fpm5's the way to go for rears or should we go with 4's?

There is absolutly no audible difference between the FPM4 and FPM5.

Comment

• alpina
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                        julie what happend to the 7 series you were going with in the front? Werent you thinking of that? Sorry if I got you confused with someone else.

I have the 6s with a 42 in plasma and they dont look to big.

Here are a couple of recent pics after I change I made to the sub
                        Hi Vancouver,

The width of our room is not all that large and when we considered how far we would to place the 705s from the wall we discounted them.

With the FPM's we will wall mount them all which sould free up floor space and hopefully still sound awesome

biggest decision now is what combination to get 5s seem the match the ht of the the pioneer perfectly!

btw - thanks for the pics - your system looks awesome so you think i should go with which combo?

cheers,

julie
                        Last edited by alpina; 22 January 2006, 07:41 Sunday.

Comment

• Nolan B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2005

Hi Vancouver,

The width of our room is not all that large and when we considered how far we would to place the 705s from the wall we discounted them.

With the FPM's we will wall mount them all which sould free up floor space and hopefully still sound awesome

biggest decision now is what combination to get 5s seem the match the ht of the the pioneer perfectly!

btw - thanks for the pics - your system looks awesome so you think i should go with which combo?

cheers,

julie
                          The FPMs do match some plasmas perfect, and if you got a plasma that fits I would take advantage of that. If you got the 50 inch pioneer (great choice by the way) I would personally go with FPM 5s all the way around with black on black.

You dont have to hope they will sound awsome becuase they will! I would urge to test different amps/recievers if you can. My FPMs sounded like a totally different speaker when I went from a Denon reciever to a Rotel. Now with a Rotel RSX 1067 they really sing.

I wish I could give you some more input on a sub choice. I love my PV1. Its very tight, accurate and clean. Some feel it doesnt offer enough slam and MAJOR punch, and that could be true. Until I live in a house where I dont share walls thats something I dont need so for me its more then enough.

dont forget to post some pictures when your done.

Comment

• alpina
                            • Nov 2005

If you got the 50 inch pioneer (great choice by the way) I would personally go with FPM 5s all the way around with black on black.
                            so you mean rears also then?

julie

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

so you mean rears also then?

julie

Hard for me to say. Since they both sound the exact same your choice should be purely based on looks. I think I would probably go with the 5s for simatry.

What are you going to power them with?

Comment

• alpina
                                • Nov 2005

plan is to use my yamaha 2600. if it fails me (i think it will be alright as ive heard the 2500 powering fpm6's and they sounded great), we will preout from the 2600 into a 1075

julie

Comment

• Nolan B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2005

plan is to use my yamaha 2600. if it fails me (i think it will be alright as ive heard the 2500 powering fpm6's and they sounded great), we will preout from the 2600 into a 1075

julie

i heard them with a 1068/1075 combo and they were great. I have also heard them with Classe and they even sounded batter...

Comment

• alpina
                                    • Nov 2005

with the rears (size yet to be decided), given that we will have our sofa against the rear wall in between the 2 speakers, should we just point them forward (ie, towards plasma wall) or should we angle them 45 degrees in?

julie

Comment

• Nolan B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2005

with the rears (size yet to be decided), given that we will have our sofa against the rear wall in between the 2 speakers, should we just point them forward (ie, towards plasma wall) or should we angle them 45 degrees in?

julie

I dont think you will have to point them down. Just put them flat on the wall. There is however a special bracket recomended for the FPM series by B&W if you want to point them down at your seating position. I think its made by omni mount.

one quick note. It took my speakers abou 2-3 weeks or playing before they really broke in and opened up.

Comment

• alpina
                                        • Nov 2005

I dont think you will have to point them down. Just put them flat on the wall. There is however a special bracket recomended for the FPM series by B&W if you want to point them down at your seating position.
                                        wont need to point them down as they will be at perfect level. was more thinking about pointing them inwards but will just put them flat.

thanks

julie

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"