X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worldys
    • Dec 2005

802D vs. N800 (signature or standard)

I figure they are about the same price on the used market. Sure the 802D has newer technology but the N800 was one of their best speakers until just recently. Has anyone matched them head to head with the same upstream gear?
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

Good question! ( I've been wanting to ask this question all the time but I just didn't knew it until now, thanks! )

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

I guess that it must be a trade-off between more bass-extension or more refinement.

I'd go for the diamonds 'cause I don't listen to any pipe organs

Comment

• PavelL
        • Sep 2005

BTW, there is a whole tread called N800 Signature or 802D... place your bet

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

The signatures with the tiger eye maple is the most beautiful speaker I've ever seen! :E

I would buy it having never listen to it. I'm sure it would sound, well.....ok I guess. Sorry for the sarcasm. It would sound GREAT! :B

Comment

• worldys
            • Dec 2005

thanks for the link pavel, the question was already extensively discussed, i have decided to go with the 802Ds for the following reasons:

1) i am going to side with the believers convinced that the diamond tweeter really is a significant improvement

2) and even though the 800 has larger bass drivers, there seems to be a good argument that the 802d rohacell drivers will move more air relative to their diameter because of the lighter material

3) although the 800 is not much bigger when you look at dimensions alone, because of the large footprint, the overall effect is one of a massive speaker that may be harder to integrate in the room without pissing off the wife, plus the 800 weight 100 lbs more which makes it a beast to move when tweaking position

4) bottom line, i think they each have strengths and weaknesses that probably balance out (with the 802 maybe taking a small lead), but the 802d will definitely be a more user friendly speaker and it will be less of a hassle to get rid of it when i decide to upgrade a few years down the road

Comment

• PavelL
              • Sep 2005

Good choice. I believe you can't go wrong with either of the 2 models.

Comment

• JKalman
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by worldys
                I figure they are about the same price on the used market. Sure the 802D has newer technology but the N800 was one of their best speakers until just recently. Has anyone matched them head to head with the same upstream gear?
                I'm looking to sell my 802D speakers possibly through the pawn shop, if anyone is interested check out the thread. I'm going to buy some higher priced Wilsons and my dealer doesn't carry them, so I can't do a simple trade-in.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Let me know what kind of price your looking at Jeff... I might be interested!
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• JKalman
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    Let me know what kind of price your looking at Jeff... I might be interested!
                    I messaged you, and here is the pawn shop entry link:

802Ds

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

So the price you're looking at is about $13000?

I would rather get this than to sit and toil with the 802D vs 800N debate:

800D in Tiger Eye (*drrrrrrooooool*)... $13999.

Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Jeff
                        • Dec 2004

BEAUTIFUL, just BEAUTIFUL! ;x(

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"