X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c912039
    • Aug 2005

Purchasing B&Ws overseas

Hi,

does anyone know of any stores that would be willing to sell me some 700 series speakers to an overseas customer?

Im living in Australia, and for whatever reason, the Australian B&W importer wont bring in any of the DS7 speakers in the colour white.

My options are to either suffer the consequences, and have to opt for a DS6 in white (which they do import), or find a retailer overseas who is willing to sell me some white DS7s and ship them to me.

I am keen to hear your opinions.

Regards

David
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Do you speak German ?

Comment

• stewfoo
      • Jul 2005

When I was in London, I was surprised to see that the B&W 600 and 700 series speaker in nearly every hole in the wall electronics store downtown.. I forgot the name of the street. But, it is an interesting mix of HIFI, Mid-fi and POOP. I am sure that you can find what you want because they are not controlled in London....
      Stew

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
        When I was in London, I was surprised to see that the B&W 600 and 700 series speaker in nearly every hole in the wall electronics store downtown.. I forgot the name of the street. But, it is an interesting mix of HIFI, Mid-fi and POOP. I am sure that you can find what you want because they are not controlled in London....
        Actually B&W prices are "more" protected in the UK than anywhere else. Everyone will give you the same % discount and not a penny more. :conveyer:

Comment

• c912039
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
          Do you speak German ?
          Nein.

No, actually I dont, but both my parents do - why?

Comment

• c912039
            • Aug 2005

Im hoping to find a shop outside of the UK. For some reason, freight out of the UK to Australia is VERY VERY expensive.

Comment

• stewfoo
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              Actually B&W prices are "more" protected in the UK than anywhere else. Everyone will give you the same % discount and not a penny more. :conveyer:
              Only the 800 series is highly protected... Any UK forum members here? What is the name of that street in London that has about a thousand electronics stores in a compact area? Trust me, every hole in the wall hometheater-in-a-box sellin' liquor store-lookin shop sold 700 series and below. I too was surprised. Only the 800 (and prestige) series is distributor protected as it is in the US. At least that was my experience.
              Stew

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I had shopped for the 700 series a couple of years back in England, but couldn't find anybody with interesting pricing that advertised either in English Stereo magazines or on the internet which are my only sources.

I finally found someone in East Germany who gave me 25% and that was good enough for me. I bought both 700's and 800's from there and the experience was very good.

I suppose if I lived in England It might be different

Comment

• Matt M.
                  • Oct 2005

I too obseved that it was a bit easier to find interesting prices in Germany for 800s
                  serie.
                  In fact, you should say: prices are "less" protected in Germany than anywhere else...

Comment

• DavidB
                    • Jan 2006

The street you are referring in London is Tottenham Court Road and you would definitely be able to do a deal with virtually any of the retailers on the street, I would imagine you would be able get at least 10 and probably 20% off. There was one high end retailer on the street that stocked the 800 series but they have now closed and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have got a discount there. Most of the shops are definitely of the pile it high and sell it cheap variety and ongoing customer service would be an issue.

I did manage to get a discount on the 802D's I have just purchsed but that was from a retailer that has one day a year sale where they will sell anything ordered on that day for 12.5% off. Otherwise I would say it's very tough to get a discount and if B&W heard about it they wouldn't be happy.

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Please, can you tell us more about the interesting mix of POOP? Was it the brown soft kind, or the black hard kind, or perhaps even a mix of both? I've been trying to find good POOP in the states, but it is damn near impossible when the politicians are so full of it that there is none left for us normal folk. :B

Comment

• nba
                        • Apr 2005

misterdoggy,

could you give away some more info regarding your source of B&W speakers from Germany. I am looking for some B&W SCMs and the discount from Germany sound a lot better than the 5% max you get here in Finland

Niko

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"