X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dami0n
    • Jan 2006

Arcam P1s for N803Ds?

I currently have 704s being driven by 2 Arcam P1 Monoblocs (175W at 8 Ohms)

I have a dilemma, I want to get a set of N803Ds but dunno if I want to spend much more on amplification.

Do you think my 2 Arcam P1s will be able to drive the 803Ds sufficiently?

If not can you think of a cheapish option ? I can't afford the Classe 2200 and don't really like Rotel gear.
    What about bi-amping with 4 P1S?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hugh
  • LikeCoiledSteel
    • May 2004

How do the Arcams sound with the 704's? Being monoblocks you do have a headroom advantage. What about looking into a used amp. I use a Krell 250 watt amp with my CDM7NTs, very similar to your 704's. It really kicks them in the butt. You may want more if you get the 803's.
    Steel

Comment

• dami0n
      • Jan 2006

The Arcams sound fantastic with the 704s (much better than my previous Rotel 1075). It really controls them properly and spits out clean taut bass.

The P1s are my fav piece of equipment and I would be sorry to see them go. My other options are:

1. Get another 2 P1s and biamp the 803Ds
      2. Forgo getting the 803Ds and get the new 804s

Which do you think would be a better long term option?

Hugh

Comment

• johan
        • Dec 2004

Hi Hugh!
        If your room isn't too big you might be very happy with Classe 2100. 100 watts may not seem much but the 803D's are rather sensitive and that amp just keep doubling.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
          • May 2004

Hi Hugh,
          I would stay away from biamping. It does work but is harder to set the gains right, I would go with 1 amp or the mono's you have. Why not try the new speaks with the Amcams? If you do not like the sound you can always move the Arcams to surround duty or sell them on audiogon.com.

You can find some nice used amps. Check out Krell or Bryston (20 warranty), Classe, Macintosh...
          Are you going to sell the 704's? If so, that may cover your amp purchase. Good luck
          Steel

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"