X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeymotorcycle
    • Dec 2005

Buy or Not to Buy

Hello everyone. I am new here and am learning great things by reading the forums. I am considering buying a set of 704s for $1,600 dollars. From what i understand that is a great deal. I can also purchase 705s for $1,100. I own a Denon 4800 reciever and my room size is 12' x 21' with low ceilings. They are alot of money for me and am having trouble pulling the trigger on the buy. Any words of wisdom are welcome. Sorry for the long post. Thanks Mike R.
  • perato
    • Jan 2005

There have been several posts about the 705 and the 704 before. The search function is tricky, you have to type in asterisk before and after the search word, for example *705*

Personally, I use 705, but that is due mostly to budget and space issues. I have not listened to 704. Your choice would depend on what you use the speakers for - music, movies, video games, etc.
    In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
      • May 2004

Hi Mike,
      Not a bad deal. The 704's go for $2200 and $1500 (I think) new. The only bottleneck I can see is your Denon. As it is a good receiver, B&W's tend to work best with seperates. The Denon might not do them justice. I have the CDM 7NT's, the model the 704's replaced. With the right amps, they can sound great.
      Good luck and let us know if you pull the trigger.
      Steel

Comment

• angelo
        • Aug 2004

Is the main focus HT or music?

Comment

• mikeymotorcycle
          • Dec 2005

well thanks for the replys. I went back to the store today and the 704s are gone. The 705s are still there though at $1000 even. What they do have now are 804S's in cherry. They have been on the floor for 2 days with less than an hour of play time and still sounded great even to my novic ears. They are having a sale and can get them for $2800. Again I think thats a great deal. Oh and my use of them would be about a 50/50 ht and 2 channel. I am so confliceted. Its alot of money but 24 months equal payments make it better. Any comments are welcome thanks so far. Mike R.

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

$2800 for a pair of 804S is 30% off of retail - get them. I bought my N804 @ $2700 and I thought I got a good deal. The 804S is a major step up from the 704 - the Denon may not do them justice. More upgrading down the road....

Comment

• mikeymotorcycle
              • Dec 2005

thanks for the reply miner. I think I am going to get them. I am still shock somewhat how much good equipment runs. Thanks again. Mike R.

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mikeymotorcycle
                well thanks for the replys. I went back to the store today and the 704s are gone. The 705s are still there though at $1000 even. What they do have now are 804S's in cherry. They have been on the floor for 2 days with less than an hour of play time and still sounded great even to my novic ears. They are having a sale and can get them for $2800. Again I think thats a great deal. Oh and my use of them would be about a 50/50 ht and 2 channel. I am so confliceted. Its alot of money but 24 months equal payments make it better. Any comments are welcome thanks so far. Mike R.
                I need to know who your dealer is so I can get those kind of deals. My dealer in Houston rarely comes down more than 10%, and that is with other purchases included. You are very fortunate.

Comment

• mikeymotorcycle
                  • Dec 2005

Well I wouldn't consider him my dealer just yet. As far as prices go its an end of the year clearance. I just came across them by chance. I have had the Denon for some years with nothing more than some old DCM speakers hooked up to it. I dont make a lot of money so I am a bargain shopper. I purchased the Denon 4800 as a demo for 900 dollars. I am still trying to decide what to do. For the same 2800 dollars I can get the 705s and matching sub. By the way Im in PA, near Lancaster. The dealer is called the Stereo Barn. Great people and very informative. Which is good for a novice like me. Thanks. Mike R.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"