N802s stay... what would you replace and why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

N802s stay... what would you replace and why?

Ok, my 802s are keepers.
    With that, what out of my current equipment, would you replace next (or add to what I have)... and why. (all 3 items will be upgraded eventually)

*Denon DCD-1530 Cd player (think thats staying for a while until everything else is where I want it)

*Sunfire Theater Grand II

*Aragon 4004

I figured what better forum to ask, then the nut job B&W fanatics! :rofl:

So being the 802s are the centerstone to my system.. and i listen to 90% Audio (love my movies, its just when im home... the stereo IS on if im not watching a DVD)
    Speak up.
    B&W
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Your setup is nice, but if anything I'd say the Sunfire. I would try listening to Bryston or Classe amps in your setup first before selling your Sunfire.

Why? Purer natural sound.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

I would START with the CD player. Until a year ago I always thought that a cd player was a cd player. Since then I have learned the impact that a cd player's quality can have on a system.

The two items that effect the overall sound of a system the most are the front (source) and the back (speakers). Since the speakers are determined, you first need to match the source sound, then tune the chain (pre-pro and amps) for smoothness.

I currently use a Shanling CD 100T for both it's SQ (tube outputs) and it's killer looks.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

You always have the option of an external DAC as well.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I was checking out DACs to the weee hours of the am on Audiogon... LOL.
          Damn sleep deprivation and urge to want more.

And at my work, im always reccomending that one gets the best source one can afford. (Sell/install mobile audio)
          I understand that that is the starting block for everything you hear. And maybe ill have to swing by the magnolia department and see what hi end CD players we offer. Its just the Denon I was given, so it didnt cost me anything... and im trying to keep it that way for a while! :lol:

Maybe i can demo a CD player from work.. hrm..
          B&W

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

I was going to say the CD player as well, but you had said you wanted to keep it...
            Danish

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

An external dac would be the first place I'd start.

You could also add vinyl and go a different route.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Thanks, was thinking about starting a vinyl collection actually. Think it would be neat.
                My parents have thousands boxed up and they find them everywhere (my mother is quite a sucessfull antique dealer)
                So with that, they can be had for cheap, but the equipment is what gets ya!
                Back to audiogon for some snoopin.
                B&W

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                  Ok, my 802s are keepers.
                  With that, what out of my current equipment, would you replace next (or add to what I have)... and why. (all 3 items will be upgraded eventually)

*Denon DCD-1530 Cd player (think thats staying for a while until everything else is where I want it)

*Sunfire Theater Grand II

*Aragon 4004

I figured what better forum to ask, then the nut job B&W fanatics! :rofl:

So being the 802s are the centerstone to my system.. and i listen to 90% Audio (love my movies, its just when im home... the stereo IS on if im not watching a DVD)
                  Speak up.
                  What kind of media do you use? If you use DVD-A and SACD as well as CD, I would recommend the Denon DVD-5910. It is a great universal player that is receiving kudos all around (mostly under its European name DVD-A1XV). The newer ones will have 1080p output as well. It excels at everything it does IMO. It has 3 Burr-Brown 1792s for surround processing and 2 dedicated 1792s in dual differential mode for stereo mode. It plays everything including HDCD, which the Burr-Browns process intrinsically. It also has the best video processing on the market according to the test programs used by Kris Deering of "Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity. As a universal player at its price, it is a steal, which is why I bought one for my system. Also, the 5910 allows you to turn off parts of the system which are not being used, such as the display, etc, which keeps EMI down.

Here is the AVS Forum's thread on it: Denon DVD-5910 link

As far as what to replace first, that really is a hard decision since your setup probably won't sound exceptional till you replace most of it. If you decide to go with Bryston, I would highly recommend it. I use the Bryston SP1.7 (preamp-processor) and the Bryston 9B SST (amp), both of which I am extremely pleased with. The SP1.7 is a great piece of equipment if music is more important to you than video. It has both a stereo bypass mode and a 5.1 channel bypass mode both of which are completely transparent. The DVD-5910 through the bypass mode is awesome, I've had religious experiences listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 Bypass with the DVD-5910. Bryston is definitely the way to go for the preamp processor if music playback is your priority, IMO.

Classe is great gear also and is owned by the same company that owns B&W. The only thing I don't like about the Classe preamp-processor is the built-in screen. I personally would rather pay less for the equipment or get higher quality innards than be spending extra money on the built-in screen. I'm not sure about Classe's gear as far as bypass modes are concerned. For music playback, if you have a great source, you definitely want to make sure it has a high-quality transparent bypass mode. That was my motivation for choosing the Bryston SP1.7 over Classe and Lexicon's similarly priced gear.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Thanks for the informative post!
                    I love recommendations, thanks alot, and yes, music is my priority, its on every am before work, and every eve the second I walk in the door until i pack it in for the night.
                    Ive been checkin Bryston and Classe prices on audiogon every week. And now I read about a decent Rotel 500watt mono amp that is suppose to be out early spring. And thats the time I hope to upgrade, so we'll see.
                    I dont know of anyone local I can listen to these high end equipment, or Id be there in a heatbeat! I hold the words/recommendations/opinions of people very high and they are always welcome with given reason.
                    I understand that my cd/pro/amp are all basic, but when i bought the amp/pro, they were cheap, and i just needed something to use for the time being, was planning on having them replaced within a year.

We'll see how this winter shapes up, im getting plans ready for a decent equipment rack, and cant wait to fill it up with some new goodies.
                    Its the whole balancing Car toys with Home toys that gets me! :x
                    Thanks again.
                    Chris
                    B&W

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"