X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xixel
    • Dec 2005

Worried Speaker Purchase

I've had my heart set on some B&W's, I'm building my first system ever, and I'm on quite a budget ( still a kid ) I've managed to pick up an RB-1080 and RC-1090 for a great price, very happy. and I had a pair of 604 S3's in mind, I found the ones I want, not from a dealer, but used, in great condition - but I'm worried about bass. I'm only going 2 channel, without a sub and I was wondering if the 604's have enough punch, I listen to alot of rock and metal, anything from foo fighters to dream theater to children of bodom. the brightness of the B&W's doesnt have be worried much as I love detail and I cant really go any higher than this model I just cant afford it, so thankfuly I havn't listened to any of the 8 series, I think I'd just cry.

Someone also suggested looking into energy or monitor audio, Energy Veritas 2.3 or the monitor audio silver s10s, just looking at the specs they seem to be punchier than the 604's

basicly I just wanted to see if anyone has listened enough to give me some advice here thanks in advance for your time
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

I know you are on a budget but try and get something like a B&W ASW 300...they are really cheap. I dont think the 601 will give you the punch you are looking for.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by xixel
      Someone also suggested looking into energy or monitor audio, Energy Veritas 2.3 or the monitor audio silver s10s, just looking at the specs they seem to be punchier than the 604's
      Not sure that the specs will tell much of a story, necessarily. Do you have a chance to audition any of those speakers?

How big is the room you have for the system?
      Danish

Comment

• xixel
        • Dec 2005

the room is about 15x20, technically bigger than that I guess, its an open type basement so its open to a hallway and the stairwell and whatnot 3 other rooms but the "living" room is in the center and all open, theres really nowhere I can listen without driving 45 minutes to Toronto, just might have to do that I guess

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I wish I lived 45 minutes from a dealer! I would suggest going to listen to a few different speakers to get a feel for what you like.
          Danish

Comment

• thyname
            • Jan 2005

I've had my heart set on some B&W's, I'm building my first system ever, and I'm on quite a budget ( still a kid ) I've managed to pick up an RB-1080 and RC-1090 for a great price, very happy. and I had a pair of 604 S3's in mind, I found the ones I want, not from a dealer, but used, in great condition - but I'm worried about bass. I'm only going 2 channel, without a sub and I was wondering if the 604's have enough punch, I listen to alot of rock and metal, anything from foo fighters to dream theater to children of bodom. the brightness of the B&W's doesnt have be worried much as I love detail and I cant really go any higher than this model I just cant afford it, so thankfuly I havn't listened to any of the 8 series, I think I'd just cry.

basicly I just wanted to see if anyone has listened enough to give me some advice here thanks in advance for your time
            Great to see another metalhead here. I saw COB last week in Washington DC: awesome. If I had to buy B&Ws, I would pick 703s. I listened to them a couple of times and they sound great with metal. 6xx series, didn't have the punch I was looking for, too laid back for my tastes. Now I have Axiom M60s which are more than 3 times cheaper than 703, it is all about the money. I forgot to mention, I have a stereo system with Rotel Rb-1080, RC-1070 and RCD-1072.

Comment

• xixel
              • Dec 2005

wicked, ya I think I'm going to go for the RCD-1072 aswell, not sure yet, maybe the 1055, but I dunno.. the 7's seem JUST out of my range, I'll look around see if I can find any deals, just found a deal on some 604's but like I said, worried a bit - theres a dealer IN my city but he's kinda small, he didnt have 604's for me to listen to, and his "main" theater room only had the 7's, so hes kinda small. might just boot it down to toronto and listen around

EDIT:

ok not JUST out of my range... they're twice as much as my range

Comment

• Kens1
                • Mar 2005

I don't own B&W speakers but have auditioned the 604 S3 on three different occasions. With the 1080 I believe the 604's will provide plenty of "punch" for your listening enjoyment. They are really exceptional speakers for the money. If you do a search you will find people that find the 604's have a bit too much "punch" for their musical genre - jazz, classical, etc.
                For your type of music I don't think there is any thing else that would compare for the money. Plenty of slam from the auditions I gave them.

Comment

• xixel
                  • Dec 2005

Thank you very much, my heart was set on these puppies I just wanted to read a few better things about them, alot of people with alot of money seem to ignore them it seems - but you're right I have read a few decent posts, just havnt had a chance to hear them, thanks again!

Comment

• Ryx
                    • Oct 2005

Xixel, where abouts in ON do you live? if you happen to be closer to Collingwood then to Toronto I would be happy to let you demo my set of 603 S2s. They don't have quite the punch that a set of 604s would but I have enjoyed them for the entire time I have owned them.

another option of speakers you could look for would be a set of 605 S2s which should give just a little more then the 604s, however these speakers would be a lot harder to find.

Comment

• xixel
                      • Dec 2005

I'm in Barrie, so a bit closer to you I guess depending how far into Toronto I'd have to go - I found a pair of 604 S3's for a good price I think I cant let them go - gunna go for it

ps nice ford!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Ha I was thinking the same thing when i saw his avatar!
                        Good luck with the speakers!
                        B&W

Comment

• Ryx
                          • Oct 2005

I'm in Barrie, so a bit closer to you I guess depending how far into Toronto I'd have to go - I found a pair of 604 S3's for a good price I think I cant let them go - gunna go for it

ps nice ford!
                          they wouldn't happen to be the pair on canuckaudiomart.com would they?? lol
                          if so I spotted those myself, would love to pick them up but I have been short on cash lately and can't afford to upgrade anything for a while. good luck with the speakers, I think you will enjoy them a lot and if it happens that you would like a little more in the lower frequecies, you could always add a sub later.

as far as the ford, Thanx! 8) that is one of the two I have which soak up the rest of my time and funds when funds are avalible. the truck in my avitar actually sports a B&W MASS sound system in it! the install isn't quite compleat yet, but it already sounds pretty damn good :T

PS: here is a pic of my other toy .....
                          Last edited by Ryx; 18 December 2005, 09:55 Sunday.

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

xixel, it's probably too late now but have you listened to the Paradigm Studio 60? In the punchy bass department I reckon it'll give the 604 S3 a run for its money, AND if I'm not mistaken, Paradigm speakers are manufactured in your own fair country.

By the way, my original intention was to buy the 604 S3 but I ended up buying the CDM 9NT which was the next model up.

Comment

• xixel
                              • Dec 2005

actualy ya they are the ones on the audio mart, but the dude hasnt responded yet.. I'm getting antsy! and no its not to late, still shopping for speakers! btw I've got a 94 F-150, mmmm
                              Attached Files

Comment

• xixel
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                xixel, it's probably too late now but have you listened to the Paradigm Studio 60? In the punchy bass department I reckon it'll give the 604 S3 a run for its money, AND if I'm not mistaken, Paradigm speakers are manufactured in your own fair country.

By the way, my original intention was to buy the 604 S3 but I ended up buying the CDM 9NT which was the next model up.
                                I seen a pair of, Paradigm Studio Reference 80 v2's quite close to me - I might have to go have a listen

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

I have the 604 S3s and you don't really need a subwoofer with them...only get one if you are going to listen to a lot of movies and what stuff to be really felt. The dual bass drivers on the 604s EASILY put out enough bass for just about anyone...some say they are bass heavy. You'll have no fears with the 1080 pushing them. You'll get BASS.
                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• JKalman
                                    • Nov 2005

I don't know about the 604 S3, but the 603 S3 won Stereophile's 2005 budget product of the year award.

Comment

• xixel
                                      • Dec 2005

Just got home.... sorry Ryx but :E :sn :-y

am I officially in the club now?!

Will post some nice pics when I get it all setup, in the proper thread thanks guys!

Comment

• Ryx
                                        • Oct 2005

sorry??? lol. man I am happy someone got to take advantage of that great deal! :T I am happy with my 603 S2s for now. enjoy your new B&Ws, I know I enjoy mine

Comment

• thyname
                                          • Jan 2005

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy your metal :-y

Comment

• JKalman
                                            • Nov 2005

Very nice. Congratulations. :T

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"