• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Zaph and the Energy C500

Zaph's blog has an interesting and amusing new entry here:

I read it with great interest, being a fan of Energy speakers. As a matter of fact, I think that not being able to afford a pair of Veritas was part of the reason I got into DIY (never mind that by now I think I could have bought a complete 5.1 set of them with the money I've spent on this hobby! :E )

Nevertheless, I'm very fond of the old Energy, the one wholly based in Canada. At one point, I owned the entire old Connoisseur line (except for their surrounds, which I didn't care about) and in my opinion, they are some of the best budget speakers I've ever heard. Probably the best. I still use the Connoisseur C-7s on my home theater, as a matter of fact.

And sexy, too! :T

Anyway, I also own the small brother of the speaker Zaph is currently testing - the C50. I actually paid $275 for the pair, and was the last commercial speaker I ever bought.

The worst commercial speaker I've ever listened to, by the way. I had to completely rework the crossover in order to make them listenable. I may have the measurements I took of them - the fake plug on the woofer made for some terrible artifacts off-axis. I do remember that. After fixing the crossover they changed a lot, and they are pretty nice now.

Anyway, enough about that.

I still have my Connoisseur C-5's (I'm selling them) which are very similar to Zaph's C500 (only with a better tweeter, if its the same unit as the C50 - and I have no reason to believe it isn't). I know for a fact the C-5's are a 2.5 system, the C-7's and C-9's a 3.5 way.

Check out the response graph:

Now check out Zaph's comments on the C500s:

...First immediately obvious issue: these are bass heavy. It's somewhere between warm and boomy, maybe a little of both. ...Then there's a little too much output in the lower midbass. ... The system did indeed seem to handle power pretty well and get very loud without excessive strain, particularly with the ports open....While the upper treble seemed clean and smooth enough, it sounded like there was a mild dip in the lower treble.
    Seems pretty similar to what you see on the measurements of the old C-5's.

Interestingly enough - I love the sound of the C-5s. I find them warm, relaxing, and easy to listen to. Yes, the bass is exaggerated, and it's possible that the dip in the lower treble emphasizes the detail on the top end. But it's fun to listen to.

Whenever I listen to my DIY speakers, I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of any recording. The best recordings sound incredible, but bad ones are pretty terrible. The Energys make everything listenable, at the expense of not retrieving every last detail from good recordings, and imparting a sonic coloration of their own.

Today I had to drive my wife's car to work. It has a factory Rockford Fosgate system. As soon as I played some rock, I was blown away. Sure, it isn't "flat". I dunno about distortion, but I'm sure a 1/2" dome can't be all that good. The big woofer is obviously putting out some serious bass, although a bit muddy and one note. But it's FUN. Fun in a way my "accurate" systems aren't.

The Energy's and the Fosgate systems do things right, in a way. They make me enjoy all my music, instead of pointing out the defects and problems of certain recordings.

In plain visual terms:

<- Neutral, uncolored, accurate DIY design.

<- Energy & Rockford Fosgate system

No, I'm not trolling... I'm just thinking whether we are placing too much emphasis on measurements and accuracy, when it's a sad fact that most music isn't recorded accurately, anyway.

I hope I made sense... or, at least that you enjoyed the cheerleader pic.
    Javier Huerta
  • Bill Schneider
    • Sep 2007

Counterpoint...

It was 45 years ago this month that the first issue of Stereophile, just 20 pages in length, went in the mail. It had been founded by one J. Gordon Holt. Gordon had been technical editor of High Fidelity magazine in the 1950s, and was tired of being asked to pander to the demands of advertisers.

(Link found recently on the PE forum.)
    My audio projects:
    http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by fjhuerta

or, at least that you enjoyed the cheerleader pic.
      I did! :T

And I kind of agree with you. Though, I'm not so sure accuracy and low distortion necessarily mean that many recordings will sound worse. It will be more revealing of flaws in the recording chain of course, but you also hear more of the music. And some drivers may measure very well but still not sound as good with a driver with more, but less audible distortion. I always judge the sound of electronics I build using the highest quality playback with good recordings.

When people rule out such things like tone controls, you kind of limit what you can listen to on a high end system. When I adjusted the level of a tweeter on a speaker, it was somewhat frustrating because I could make it sound great on some recordings and then it wouldn't sound so great on others. Same with the subwoofer level where it would be too overwhelming with some music, if set to sound good with a recording with dynamic compression or attenuated bass.

I like accuracy, but what is accurate is pretty debatable.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I'll weigh in on this with some ridiculous but well rationalized rubbish either this evening or weekend... :W expect lots of pictures... all PG
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Bill Schneider
          Counterpoint...

It was 45 years ago this month that the first issue of Stereophile, just 20 pages in length, went in the mail. It had been founded by one J. Gordon Holt. Gordon had been technical editor of High Fidelity magazine in the 1950s, and was tired of being asked to pander to the demands of advertisers.

I like J. Gordon Holt, and I agree with him on a lot issues. From your link:

As you were so committed to surround, do you feel that the commercial failures of DVD-Audio and SACD could have been avoided?

"I doubt it. No audio product has ever succeeded because it was better, only because it was cheaper, smaller, or easier to use. Your generation of music lovers will probably be the last that even think about fidelity."

Do you see any signs of future vitality in high-end audio?

"Vitality? Don't make me laugh. Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me, because I am associated by so many people with the mess my disciples made of spreading my gospel. For the record: I never, ever claimed that measurements don't matter. What I said (and very often, at that) was, they don't always tell the whole story. Not quite the same thing.

Remember those loudspeaker shoot-outs we used to have during our annual writer gatherings in Santa Fe? The frequent occasions when various reviewers would repeatedly choose the same loudspeaker as their favorite (or least-favorite) model? That was all the proof needed that [blind] testing does work, aside from the fact that it's (still) the only honest kind. It also suggested that simple ear training, with DBT confirmation, could have built the kind of listening confidence among talented reviewers that might have made a world of difference in the outcome of high-end audio."
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• johngalt47
            • Apr 2007

Is there any objective way to tell what exactly was recorded? I mean, suppose you had the best available recording equipment and the best available playback equipment (including speakers) (no flames please) and recorded an acoustic guitar in your living room.

Would another person listening to the playback of that recording actually be able to hear exactly what was recorded in the first place? There are deficiencies all along the process. We might get pretty close and it might even be enjoyable but it would still be a little bit different from the original playing of the guitar.

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bill Schneider
              Counterpoint...

I don't see it as a counterpoint...

We seem to have come to a tacit agreement that it's no longer necessary, or even desirable, for a home music system to sound like the real thing. We speak in hushed and reverent tones about reproducing the ineffable beauty of music, when in fact much real music is harsh and vulgar and ugly. We design the all-important musical midrange out of our equipment in order to try—vainly, I might add—to recreate the illusion of three-dimensional space through what is essentially a two-dimensional reproducer. And whenever we hear a loudspeaker or a CD player that shows subversive signs of sounding more 'alive' or 'realistic' than most, we dismiss it out of hand as being too 'forward' or 'aggressive.' As if a lot of real music isn't forward and aggressive.
              It basically says what I've been thinking lately.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Mark K
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                Zaph's blog has an interesting and amusing new entry here:

I read it with great interest, being a fan of Energy speakers. As a matter of fact, I think that not being able to afford a pair of Veritas was part of the reason I got into DIY (never mind that by now I think I could have bought a complete 5.1 set of them with the money I've spent on this hobby! :E )

Nevertheless, I'm very fond of the old Energy, the one wholly based in Canada. At one point, I owned the entire old Connoisseur line (except for their surrounds, which I didn't care about) and in my opinion, they are some of the best budget speakers I've ever heard. Probably the best. I still use the Connoisseur C-7s on my home theater, as a matter of fact.

And sexy, too! :T

Anyway, I also own the small brother of the speaker Zaph is currently testing - the C50. I actually paid $275 for the pair, and was the last commercial speaker I ever bought.

The worst commercial speaker I've ever listened to, by the way. I had to completely rework the crossover in order to make them listenable. I may have the measurements I took of them - the fake plug on the woofer made for some terrible artifacts off-axis. I do remember that. After fixing the crossover they changed a lot, and they are pretty nice now.

Anyway, enough about that.

I still have my Connoisseur C-5's (I'm selling them) which are very similar to Zaph's C500 (only with a better tweeter, if its the same unit as the C50 - and I have no reason to believe it isn't). I know for a fact the C-5's are a 2.5 system, the C-7's and C-9's a 3.5 way.

Check out the response graph:

Now check out Zaph's comments on the C500s:

Seems pretty similar to what you see on the measurements of the old C-5's.

Interestingly enough - I love the sound of the C-5s. I find them warm, relaxing, and easy to listen to. Yes, the bass is exaggerated, and it's possible that the dip in the lower treble emphasizes the detail on the top end. But it's fun to listen to.

Whenever I listen to my DIY speakers, I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of any recording. The best recordings sound incredible, but bad ones are pretty terrible. The Energys make everything listenable, at the expense of not retrieving every last detail from good recordings, and imparting a sonic coloration of their own.

Today I had to drive my wife's car to work. It has a factory Rockford Fosgate system. As soon as I played some rock, I was blown away. Sure, it isn't "flat". I dunno about distortion, but I'm sure a 1/2" dome can't be all that good. The big woofer is obviously putting out some serious bass, although a bit muddy and one note. But it's FUN. Fun in a way my "accurate" systems aren't.

The Energy's and the Fosgate systems do things right, in a way. They make me enjoy all my music, instead of pointing out the defects and problems of certain recordings.

In plain visual terms:

<- Neutral, uncolored, accurate DIY design.

No, I'm not trolling... I'm just thinking whether we are placing too much emphasis on measurements and accuracy, when it's a sad fact that most music isn't recorded accurately, anyway.

I hope I made sense... or, at least that you enjoyed the cheerleader pic.

The analogy is bad because the pictures are different!!!

The right analogy would be the following.
                Walk outside into your yard, early in the morning, just before dawn. Take a picture. (assuming your backyard has a misty bluegrass field, some groundfog, a couple of horses and a red barn.)

How are the colors in the photo? Kind of muted.
                Now, import into photoshop, jazz it up by cranking the saturation and applying some sharpening.

Take both photos, as a group of 20 folks which catches their attention-which they like better. If you've done a good job with your pshop, most folks will pick the somewhat sharpened, oversaturated photo.

Which is more realistic/accurate?
                Which is more appealing?
                Which is "better?"

I think we fight this subjective vs objective arguement because we're trying to optimize different targets-i.e. we're asking different questions.
                www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                  • Jul 2007

The analogy was great.. although I think the cheerleader is the one that is neutral and uncoloured.

I was thinking the same today listening to our KEF C30s. Sure - everything is listenable, but the detail is missing on some really good recordings and I feel like I'm not getting 100% (like listening to a top stand up comedian with a really bad cold).

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                    • Jul 2007

For reference - can anyone post some names of readily obtainable pop or other music that sounds bad on a flat / low distortion system?

Comment

• Bear
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
                      For reference - can anyone post some names of readily obtainable pop or other music that sounds bad on a flat / low distortion system?
                      Pick basically any vaguely hot looking "dancer" or "actress" who has released an album, but who's music always seems to include some form of a synth effect right when the producer ought to be showcasing the vocal range of the singer (e.g., most of Britney Spears' back catalog).

Wait, were you wanting things that sounded good on higher distortion systems, or can they be bad all around?
                      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• johngalt47
                        • Apr 2007

On a slightly different note, although I love a few of the Dave Clark Fives' songs, their greatest hits album has to be the most awful recording of anything ever! I don't know if it would sound better or worse on a really good system or not.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2006

Any of the currently available Queen recordings (no DCCs, MFSLs or DVD-As) sound terrible on accurate systems. The added warmth of, say, my Energy system makes them far more listenable.

Same thing for the Nena / Cyndi Lauper remastered greatest hits CD's I own.
                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bear
                            Pick basically any vaguely hot looking "dancer" or "actress" who has released an album, but who's music always seems to include some form of a synth effect right when the producer ought to be showcasing the vocal range of the singer (e.g., most of Britney Spears' back catalog).
                            Actually, "Toxic" sounds pretty good. :T Not that I listen to Britney Spears, or anything. :W
                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

Just got this one. White Stripes - Elephant. Sounds great cruzing in my MX-5 with the top down. So-So musical talent, but nice thumping bass. Utter crap and unlistenable at home.
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                • Jul 2007

Thanks for the track tips guys... I stopped listening to Queen and that might explain some things. I found their recordings far too "in your face" as the years have gone by.

Same with my ex liking Cyndi Lauper. Her music sounded great in the car but terrible at home.

I'll try the Stripes track at home to see how it sounds....

I've always thought about taking an average FR curve of a track to see if one can identify the preferences of the mixer. Is it possible to extract the distortion profile from a track?

Comment

• Face
                                  • Mar 2007

Metalica, Faith No More, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Iron Maiden...just about everything I grew up on.
                                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• LING GOWA
                                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by johngalt47
                                    Is there any objective way to tell what exactly was recorded? I mean, suppose you had the best available recording equipment and the best available playback equipment (including speakers) (no flames please) and recorded an acoustic guitar in your living room.

Would another person listening to the playback of that recording actually be able to hear exactly what was recorded in the first place? There are deficiencies all along the process. We might get pretty close and it might even be enjoyable but it would still be a little bit different from the original playing of the guitar.
                                    You may have to purchase the same equipment they used in the studio.
                                    Website

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Face
                                      Metalica, Faith No More, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Iron Maiden...just about everything I grew up on.
                                      My thoughts, exactly.

But then, stuff like "The Wall" or "Wish you were here" sounds so incredible on a good system... :T
                                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• kevinp.
                                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Face

while I agree with the posts above regarding the horrible sound quality of Queen's recordings, I have to disagree with the Metallica statement. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets sound rediculously good on my Accuton monitors. As does the first couple of Sabbath albums. It seems to be the newer stuff that sounds worse IMO.

Comment

• stangbat
                                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by kevinp.
                                          while I agree with the posts above regarding the horrible sound quality of Queen's recordings, I have to disagree with the Metallica statement. Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets sound rediculously good on my Accuton monitors. As does the first couple of Sabbath albums. It seems to be the newer stuff that sounds worse IMO.
                                          I had previously listened to "Metallica" (the Black Album) and "...And Justice for All" on my setup and never bothered to listen to anything else since they sounded so bad. So I decided to try "Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning". I have to agree with Face, they sound terrible. I'm listening to the original CD releases on the Electra label if that makes any difference.

I agree with Javier that "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" sound great. I've also found that the Zeppelin releases I have on CD sound surprisingly good (I,II, IV, and "Houses of the Holy".) Jimmy Page knew how to set up mics and produce.

Comment

• kevinp.
                                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by stangbat
                                            I had previously listened to "Metallica" (the Black Album) and "...And Justice for All" on my setup and never bothered to listen to anything else since they sounded so bad. So I decided to try "Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning". I have to agree with Face, they sound terrible. I'm listening to the original CD releases on the Electra label if that makes any difference.I agree with Javier that "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" sound great. I've also found that the Zeppelin releases I have on CD sound surprisingly good (I,II, IV, and "Houses of the Holy".) Jimmy Page knew how to set up mics and produce.

It might. I'm referring to the remasters. Many people cringe when they hear that word so I thought the originals might be even better, but sounds like I could be wrong. The Black album I gave away long ago and have no desire to replace, and Justice is generally agreed to be terribly recorded.

Comment

• Face
                                              • Mar 2007

Ah, the DCC remasters? They're actually listenable.
                                              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• johngalt47
                                                • Apr 2007

I received my pair of C-500s yesterday. They sound pretty good but I'll wait until they have some hours on them before commenting fully. A first impression is that I agree with Zaph's assessment that male voices may not be exactly right.
                                                My main speakers are ZD5s so I'll have something "good" that I can compare them to.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"