Center Channel on large TV... How improve sound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

Center Channel on large TV... How improve sound?

I have a HTM2D center channel on a shelf above my 70 inch Qualia... I have it pointing down towards the listener however I find the sound still too bright. I don't have the room to put it in front of the TV... Any recommendations on how to improve the sound? I am thinking about putting sound material on the back side and top of the TV to keep it from reflecting. Any other ideas?
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

Anyone? I did try putting carpet on the back and top of the TV and it seems to help... I will buy accustic foam and put it on the top/back of the TV.

Comment

• masterwick
      • Nov 2005

I have a similar issue. What about the dead space behind the TV. Is this playing into the sound?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
        • Mar 2005

Could be... The carpet improved it some without filling to dead space.

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

Do you have space to put it below the TV? A little closer to the floor might make a difference.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
            • Mar 2005

RNKC, I wish I could put it on thee floor.... This is my family room and my wife doesn't want it sitting in front of the TV. So I am looking for the best things to do to make it sound better.
            Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 13 December 2005, 07:17 Tuesday. Reason: typos

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
              • Mar 2005

From what I remember of your system based on the picture you had posted a while back, I think the problem is that large TV you have. The front of that TV is a large reflecting surface for sound to bounce off of. I noticed a huge improvement in both smoothness and imaging when I pulled the 32" Sony TV from the center between my N804s.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                • Mar 2005

ZX10 Guy... You're right the big TV is the culprit. When I move the TV out 5 feet, the center speaker sounds much better. Makes me want to go to a front projection unit, however my room would be hard to make it dark.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                  • Mar 2005

Because of this issue that you are now aware of, I was limited in the choice of video I could tolerate in my system. I ended up having to settle with a plasma display. But I don't know if many people would call having a Pioneer Elite plasma as settling on anything. If the plasma still causes problems, there are installation setups that allow you to have it hidden behind art work and such. Or you can just hand a sound panel on it when you do critical listening.

The other reason why I had to go with a flat panel display was the center channel. I can't stand having the center above or below the plane set by my floor standing N804s. The soundstage and the pan through from one side to the other is absolutely not natural sounding to me. I'm positioning the center almost in perfect alignment with the N804's mids and tweeters. I'd post up pics of my final setup but I'm still waiting for the bloody electrician to finish up in the sound room...plus I still have some point up/touch up work to do in there.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"