X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eight-ball
    • Dec 2005

Ideal center channel with complete 703 AV setup

Hi all, I´new to this forum and think that I will like it here. My first tread here will be a question concerning the best matching center speaker to a complete 703 AV setup.

My system is;
    Arcam AVP-700
    Embla Ice modules 600W/1200W (7pcs)
    B&W 703 (6pcs)

Can someone point me in the right direction on the missing center speaker? It seems to me that HTM7 would bee kinda small and not full range in this setup. I have decided that I dont want HTM7 either way. But my real question would be; Should I get another single 703 speaker or HTM3S? What would serve as the best speaker in this position?

Regards
    Eight-ball
  • Miroku
    • Jul 2004

I have CDM-9NT's which are pretty much exactly the same as the 703. I had an LCR 600 which wasnt good enough so I sold it. Now I have an HTM 7 and I am much happier, however I recently borrowed an HTM3s which was a perfect fit. I will be upgrading my htm7 to the htm3s as soon as I can.

Edit: If you can somehow fit a 7th 703 in as your center channel, that would obviously be the best, but I assume you would need to put it behind an acoustically transparent projection screen for that to work? Or just have your TV really high up. I dont know if a 703 on its side would be optimal

Comment

• Eight-ball
      • Dec 2005

That the problem right there, with a single 703; it need to be standing to perform as espected. But it surely is an option to have the proj screen farther ahead creating a space behind the screen to room the 703 center.

But you mentioned that HTM3S was a perfect fit. Isn´t HTM3S a better speaker than 703? would it be bad if the center channel are a bit better than the front channels? Soundwise?

Comment

• Miroku
        • Jul 2004

I dont think it would be bad at all. The center channel is the most important for dialogue anyways, so if youre going to have a superior speaker in your setup, it might as well be the center :T

If youre buying 3 pairs of 703's I would sure hope your dealer would let you borrow an htm3s and an htm7 so you can decide for yourself which fits better. I think the htm3s is your best option though. Shame on B&W for not making an FST midrange center channel to match the 703 :M

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Miroku
          I dont think it would be bad at all. The center channel is the most important for dialogue anyways, so if youre going to have a superior speaker in your setup, it might as well be the center :T

If youre buying 3 pairs of 703's I would sure hope your dealer would let you borrow an htm3s and an htm7 so you can decide for yourself which fits better. I think the htm3s is your best option though. Shame on B&W for not making an FST midrange center channel to match the 703 :M
          Unfortunately, this is a common problem with the 700 line, one from which I presently suffer. Honestly, the 703's are really the speaker that don't fit into the 700 series though. The htm3s is the typical match for 703's, and while not statistically perfect, are a better sonic match to the 703's than the htm7. Please let us know what your impressions are after you get a chance to demo them.

Comment

• Eight-ball
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Miroku
            Don´t underestimate the goodspirit of the local dealers in norway. I would sell my right arm if they where to borrow me a HTM3S or a HTM7 home for testing. I don´t think it ever will happen.. Sadly thing though. 8O

Comment

• Gaz
              • Jan 2006

Boy I wish had known about this Forum a few weeks ago.

After installing a 703/HTM7/ASW750/DS7 set up I have been going nuts trying to work out why the HTM7 doesnt sound right. There is a real lack of clarity in dialogue and music that comes from the centre.

I am blown away with the 703's (happily, given that the budget couldnt stretch to the 8 series), but doesnt the HTM7 let the whole set up down.

Would also be very interested in hearing from anyone who has a HTM3s in a 703 set up. Given that I havent had the gear for long, maybe I should go back to the dealer quickly and see if I can do an replacement deal!!!

Comment

• Kobus
                • Aug 2005

Get the HTM3, so someday when you upgrade your mains to 80X your center will be there already.
                Last edited by Kobus; 13 January 2006, 11:47 Friday.

Comment

• Gaz
                  • Jan 2006

OK you"ve twisted my arm, but how do I tell the wife (hmmmm do ya think she will notice a different centre)

Comment

• Miroku
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Gaz
                    OK you"ve twisted my arm, but how do I tell the wife (hmmmm do ya think she will notice a different centre)
                    No, she won't notice the superior sound quality and triple size of the htm7, I promise :T

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

For those that are not happy w/ the SQ of the HTM7, how high are they mounted? I used to have my HTM7's tweeter much lower than the 704s' tweeters. Ever since I got a new stand for the HTM7, and now that they are much more vertically aligned with the 704s, I think the SQ of the HTM7 blends in much better. Not saying that the HTM3 isn't a better speaker, but with the HTM7 properly mounted, it's not as bad as most people say.

Comment

• shadow
                        • Dec 2003

You have the same midrange on the 704 and HTM 7 so you would not likely hear any discontinuity between the two speakers. That mismatch is always present with the 703 and HTM 7 in my experience, regardless of whether you mount the center lower or higher.

Comment

• Miroku
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by shadow
                          You have the same midrange on the 704 and HTM 7 so you would not likely hear any discontinuity between the two speakers. That mismatch is always present with the 703 and HTM 7 in my experience, regardless of whether you mount the center lower or higher.

I agree 100%. By purchasing the 703, cdm9NT, or 804 and above, you are condemning yourself to wanting a Nautlius htm1, or 800 series htm3s or better due to the FST midrange.

Comment

• grit
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Gaz
                            Boy I wish had known about this Forum a few weeks ago.

After installing a 703/HTM7/ASW750/DS7 set up I have been going nuts trying to work out why the HTM7 doesnt sound right. There is a real lack of clarity in dialogue and music that comes from the centre.

I am blown away with the 703's (happily, given that the budget couldnt stretch to the 8 series), but doesnt the HTM7 let the whole set up down.

Would also be very interested in hearing from anyone who has a HTM3s in a 703 set up. Given that I havent had the gear for long, maybe I should go back to the dealer quickly and see if I can do an replacement deal!!!
                            Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I just demoed the HTM3S the other day because I need to replace that HTM7... it's KILLING me! There *IS* a downside to putting an HTM3S with your 703's though... you'll wanna replace your 703's with 803S's! Seriously, I think the HTM3S is a far better match than the HTM7. Besides, if you want to go with 803S's down the road, you'll already have the matching center channel!

Comment

• Eight-ball
                              • Dec 2005

Well guys, I have now purchased HTM3S in rosenut to match my rusenut 703´s. And have only one thing to say.. WOW!
                              This center integrates with 703 seamlessly! This is the ideal center for these floorspeakers. I have heard it with my buddy´s 803 and I would have to say that it seem to me that HTM3S is a better match with the 703 than the 803, hands down. Private "panel" of three have heard HTM3S-703 vs HTM3S-803 and we was all supriced to se that it performs this good with 703.
                              The center isn´t too dominent because of sealed box design of HTM3S opposed to the bassreflex design of the HTM2.

I give my warmest recomandation using HTM3S with 703!!!!

Comment

• JKalman
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eight-ball
                                Hi all, I´new to this forum and think that I will like it here. My first tread here will be a question concerning the best matching center speaker to a complete 703 AV setup.

My system is;
                                Arcam AVP-700
                                Embla Ice modules 600W/1200W (7pcs)
                                B&W 703 (6pcs)

Can someone point me in the right direction on the missing center speaker? It seems to me that HTM7 would bee kinda small and not full range in this setup. I have decided that I dont want HTM7 either way. But my real question would be; Should I get another single 703 speaker or HTM3S? What would serve as the best speaker in this position?

Regards
                                Eight-ball
                                Yeah, I had a 5.1 system with 703s in the front, 705s for surrounds, an ASW750 and HTM7. The HTM7 is a horrendous mismatch for the 703s. Absolutely terrible. It is impossible to make the center channel seemless with the HTM7 and 703s mixed together.

The best match, of course, which you already know, is another 703. Problem is, it is big and the best way to use it would be to stand it up between the other two...

Comment

• JKalman
                                  • Nov 2005

Mismatching the center speaker, whether by putting a better or a worse speaker in the system, will interrupt the suspension of disbelief. The sound experience won't be seemless. This is exactly why I returned my 703s and bought better speakers on the trade-in. I'd rather have no surround than a clunky sounding mismatched system.

Comment

• JKalman
                                    • Nov 2005

Well guys, I have now purchased HTM3S in rosenut to match my rusenut 703´s. And have only one thing to say.. WOW!
                                    This center integrates with 703 seamlessly! This is the ideal center for these floorspeakers. I have heard it with my buddy´s 803 and I would have to say that it seem to me that HTM3S is a better match with the 703 than the 803, hands down. Private "panel" of three have heard HTM3S-703 vs HTM3S-803 and we was all supriced to se that it performs this good with 703.
                                    The center isn´t too dominent because of sealed box design of HTM3S opposed to the bassreflex design of the HTM2.

I give my warmest recomandation using HTM3S with 703!!!!

Well, glad to hear that it matches with your 703s. I have to say though, why would you buy something without taking it home to demo it first? Seems sort of silly to take that kind of risk without testing it out first. I just don't get how impulsive people can be... Especially when it can cost them money. Lucky for you it worked out fine I guess. Hope you are as lucky the next time around also.

Comment

• Eight-ball
                                      • Dec 2005

Problem beeing availability at the local dealers. 8O

Originally posted by JKalman
                                      Well, glad to hear that it matches with your 703s. I have to say though, why would you buy something without taking it home to demo it first? Seems sort of silly to take that kind of risk without testing it out first. I just don't get how impulsive people can be... Especially when it can cost them money. Lucky for you it worked out fine I guess. Hope you are as lucky the next time around also.

Comment

• JKalman
                                        • Nov 2005

Problem beeing availability at the local dealers. 8O
                                        I would have gotten different speakers then, something a dealer near you carries and demos. That's just me though. I'm a chicken at heart.

Comment

• Eight-ball
                                          • Dec 2005

I don´t think you understand the situation. I purchased 703 after listening on then at the dealer. And when I started uppgrading to surr I purchased first several 703´s and when it came down to puchasing center channel, they had onle the htm7 to demo. They dont have centers like htm3s in stock, so it was no way I was able to listen to it. So that gave little choice.

But glad it´s sorted out now, and are very pleased.

PS; Some have cash and some don´t.

Comment

• gregj66
                                            • Aug 2005

Absolutley get another 703 for the centre - if you can still see the video.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"