X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

Is My Room Too Small for 802's?

Hi-

I'm about to get the new 802D's but my wife brings up the size question , about the speakers (!) my room is aprox. 20 x 16, on one side we have a sliding glass door, the other side is open to the rest of the house. would 803D's be a better option?

Also, I have 2 ASW850's that I ran in our old house along with the previous version 802. I had them crossed over @ 40 hz and very well integrated, not boomy, should I add them into the equation?
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

If you had the 802s, then you should know how big the 802Ds are, they didn't change the form factor that much.... So it would be on you as to whether they are too big or not for your room.

They WILL fit in a 20x16 room and sound good...but depending on how much room you have... (minus couches and other furniture) that's really a personal call.

If you have the subs...why not use them!?!? Though I'm not one to use subs for 2 ch listening...but if you like them and get them to work well... then I'd say why not!

Or sell one and get a few $$$ towards the 802Ds, you really should only need one of them.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Pio
      • Nov 2005

Pewter TA- I know how big they are, but I'm moving and the new place is smaller than the old, unfortunatley.

BTW- you and I share more than an interest in good sound - I too have an LS 1 based ride -

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Ha ha ha, nice!

Hopefully yours wasn't hit by a semi! That sucked.

Though it's back in the garage now all fixed up. Looks good, one couldn't tell if they didn't know. But I still have a lot of cleaning and fixing up on it.
        -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
          Though it's back in the garage now all fixed up. Looks good, one couldn't tell if they didn't know.
          If that is the case , then it is time to update your avatar Dan, eh?
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• JKalman
            • Nov 2005

I would recommend you have at least 3 feet between the side walls and each speaker and nothing in-between them, the bass overwhelms the mids and the highs otherwise. That being said, I have a 14 x 30+ size room with the speakers 3 feet out from the front wall (14 feet across) and 3 feet out from the side wall. With 16 feet you could bring the speakers out 4 feet from each wall, which might be evern better. It depends on how free you are to place the speakers. If you can take them out 3-4 feet from the walls, your room size is fine. If needs be, beg, plead and massage your wife every night if that is what it takes to place the 802D speakers correctly, don't bother with the 803Ds if you can get the 802Ds...

I'm going to try and pull my speakers out to 4 feet from both walls, but the problem I am going to have is space when I get a Sony SXRD 60" TV in a month or two, but if worse comes to worse, I could always go with a 50" TV, sound quality is more important to me when I listen to music. I could also switch my room around... If I move my front end to the other side of the room and move all my desks and bookshelves to the side the HT is on right now, I'll have 50 extra inches or so to work with, unfortunately I just installed a baseboard heater there, but perhaps it would be worth it to move the one heater that might be a problem, or I could have my equipment a foot out from the wall since the room is so long.

Comment

• Pio
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
              Ha ha ha, nice!

Hopefully yours wasn't hit by a semi! That sucked.

Though it's back in the garage now all fixed up. Looks good, one couldn't tell if they didn't know. But I still have a lot of cleaning and fixing up on it.
              Ouch! Glad to hear the T/A held up to the hit! Is it stock?

JKalman - My planned set up is 6 feet apart, 4 ft from the side walls and 2 feet from the front wall. I too plan on getting an SXRD, but I want the 70" Qualia which will bring in another problem - a huge reflective surface in between both speakers(!). I'm figuring I will get around that by placing some sort of cover on the TV when I just want to jam to music.

BTW- try to go for the 60 inch, we currently have a 50" and its a bit on the small size IMO.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

OT:

Yeah I have to grab some pictures. I took pictures of it when I picked it up, not sure if there's anything I can use as it was a pretty grey and dreary day. I will have to check.

Stock, somewhat, minor bolt-ons. I have a lid and exhaust on it and Lou's Short throw shifter and some minor appearance stuff. I have an LS6 vette intake manifold for it as well as Long Tube Headers and Y pipe for it that need put on whenever I get some thing...I believe it's called...free time...I'm not sure, since I hardly ever see it.

My first thing is to replace the cog on the headlights to a brass one and replace the headlights with a difference bulb/connection because I can't stand the headlights that are in them. Wish I could get a nice HID set for it, that would rock.

Other than that, the "main" performance modifications like heads/cam/SC or TT will come later in it's life when I can save up the money for them.

This home theater stuff "wastes" or should I say "uses up" a lot of the cash flow I was originally putting into that. Course I'm planning on having the car for 10 - 20 years easily...so I think I have some time. Just the way it is I run a 13.1-.3 with it. So it's got a little "get-up-and-go."

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"