• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Blown N802 Tweeter..

Damn it!
    Ive been hearing this slight crackling coming from my left 802 lately.. off and on... hard to narrow down..

Well, It started doing it again.. constantly.. and i was really worried it was the mid.. I spun the tweet out and unplugged it.. the noise stopped. (music sounds funny with one tweet! :lol: )

So my tweet is gone. :roll:
    Could be worse I guess, just a little bummed. I swapped one earlier this year.. and for the life of me, cant remember what tweet it was....

Whelp.. there goes another $100. :x
    B&W
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

yeah i just blew both of mine using a tune-up disc, B & W was really good though, i called friday and had them saturday morning, took about 2 minutes to replace them,now if that dang asw800 would quit rattling life would be perfect

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• masterwick
      • Nov 2005

I am in the same situtation. I just purchased a used pair of B&W N802s in great condition. Even though we were very sure we packed everything up properly, in the transit, the tweeter on one speaker went out (no sound) and the midrange on the other speaker is now distorted. I swapped the tweeters just to make sure and sure enough its a dead tweeter. The tweeter doesn't bother me that much, its the midrange that I am having bigger issues with.

:cry:

Does any know how much and how to replace the midrange speaker?

BTW, great forum. I have been reading this forum for a few months now. Now that I own a pair of B&Ws, I feel I can be part of the crowd. :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I am also curious to the cost of the midrange and woofers.
        Just to fill my curiosity i guess, i know the tweets are easy swap and $100, not to bad i guess...
        But something tells me the mid would cost a bit more.
        B&W

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Something must be in the air, I replaced one of my tweeters a few weeks ago on one of my N803's, and the other day I noticed my center channel is tweeter is starting to go.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

For the tweeters they use the same diaphram and assmebly as the 803s/804's. I think a full tweeter assembly is around 120 from the what the dealer quoted me I ended up only needing a diaphram for my 803's and it was about 50-60 bux. You need special B&W tools in order to remove the midrange and im almost positive thats a dealer only replacement unless you have the special B&W tools laying around. Kinda dissapointed that you guys are having problems with your 802's already either you must be playing them at insane volumes, clipping your amp, or B&W's quality has really went to crap. So far I have had no problems with my speakers other than little people liking to poke in the tweeter domes... erg...
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I have no doubt in my case its the loud volume and low power thats doing it.. :W (no i dont blast these things to oblivion.... i know better, these things are my babies!!) But I like to crank it every now and then..
              Just need some good power! :x
              The first tweet i replaced worked fine... but it had a dent in it (bought them used)

And not that im complaining... but something about a $100 tweeter in a $4000 speaker just doesnt sound right... ya know! LOL

But im glad im replacing a $100 tweet instead of a $1000 tweet. :P
              B&W

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz
                yeah i just blew both of mine using a tune-up disc, B & W was really good though, i called friday and had them saturday morning, took about 2 minutes to replace them,now if that dang asw800 would quit rattling life would be perfect

:-)

Kurt
                What type of rattling on your ASW800? Check you mounting screws, they may be loose.

Comment

• masterwick
                  • Nov 2005

On my damage, I am almost positive it was done during the transport. Sound fine prior, not good after. I will call a local B&W dealer and see what can be done. I'll let you guys know once I get word.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Race Car Driver, I'd replace the tweeters, mid and Bass without a blink for the price you got your 802s for...

So I don't want to hear it. I know it's a pain...but heck... paying what you've put into them (to replace these parts) no where near comes to the $8K new they were... So I don't want to hear it! :P

I am sorry to hear that it blew, that does suck...and I am in agreeance with you, it's the higher volumes and lack of good power to them that is most likely killing them. I've seen it happen before!
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Oh yea, I know, lack of power kills tweets! Ive been a mobile install tech for 7 years now.. and i know one of the best upgrades is a good amp!

Im not worried about swapping the tweet. 30 sec job.

As soon as I can get my Ram paid off this winter with all the OT im getting with remote start season, im gonna dump several grand on some amps... not even gonna look back.. just get er done.
                      B&W

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Look towards the NuForce Ref 9s... I think you'll be very happy with them pushing your 802s.

There's a person you should talk to about getting them...Not sure if he's still a member here or not...?!
                        -Dan

Comment

• jlr_1304
                          • Aug 2005

i've replaced my dome tweetwers on N802 and still have problems with strange noise from voices (sybilance).

The dome tweeter is around 50$ cost for the dealer.

Comment

• masterwick
                            • Nov 2005

i've replaced my dome tweetwers on N802 and still have problems with strange noise from voices (sybilance).
                            The damage on my midrange manifested in a similar fashion. Something about Nora Joan's voice that brings out the damaged speaker. I had to listen to each driver very closey (midrange and tweeter) to isolate to the midrange driver.

There must be something about Thanksgiving week with everyone being off cause I called a local B&W dealer, and the service dept would not answer the phone or return a call. Hopefully tomorrow I will know more.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                              Look towards the NuForce Ref 9s... I think you'll be very happy with them pushing your 802s.

There's a person you should talk to about getting them...Not sure if he's still a member here or not...?!
                              Audio Tweaks, components, thoughtful advice and attentive service since 2003. Call 303-653-6341.

Those the ones you talking about?

I wouldnt mind more power then 350...
                              But the price isnt bad!
                              B&W

Comment

• RobP
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jlr_1304

The dome tweeter is around 50$ cost for the dealer.
                                How much and what type of power or you using?, Also have you removed just the front covers to see if they are possibly vibrating?
                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aphexist
                                  • Jan 2004

Race Car Driver, I'd replace the tweeters, mid and Bass without a blink for the price you got your 802s for...
                                  Have you considered the possibility that your speakers are cursed by some primal force? Who knows what evil lurks within the head of Marlan?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Race Car Driver, I sent you a PM.

Aphexist, for the price he paid, I'd take that evil that lurks inside the head of the marlan. :rofl:
                                    -Dan

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Aphexist, for the price he paid....
                                      :huh:

:rofl:
                                      B&W

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"