X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Fading Cabinet Finish

I've been looking at some used b&w speakers and noticed on a few that the finish had faded everywhere but where the grill covered. This made me think I should maybe just stay with black even though it's not what I prefer.

Is this just a natural problem that will happen with any real wood finished speaker cabinet or is it perhaps more from over exposure to sun lighting through windows close by? Anyone else experience this with your speakers or have advice on how to prevent it? I'd really rather have b&w's in that nice dark cherry finish.

Thanks,

Steve
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

Hi Steve,

I do not have the "faded" finish experience, however, I do have the "darken" finish experience. One day I removed the grills on my cherry wood B&Ws and noted that the part covered by the grills is a lot lighter in color than the parts that are not covered by the grill. According to B&W's FAQ page, the change in color is the result of exposure to ultra-violet light. Here is a link to the explaination: http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...83371FBE8668BB

Personally, I actually prefer the darken cherry color...gives the speaker that "aged" look...hehe.
    Tony

Comment

• ED K
      • Apr 2005

Cherry finish

I have been a cabinet maker for 40 plus years. What you are seeing is part of the natural beauty of cherry. It gets darker with exposure to UV light. In time the darkening will slow down considerably. If you keep the grills off, in time the parts of the speaker that were hidden will darken as well. Will take some time to happen but it will get there.
      Ed
      Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• BW4me
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the help. I had a feeling it was due to light, I just didn't realize the difference could be evened out over time by exposing both. The b&w link page was great also!

Steve

Comment

• caleb
          • Aug 2004

My 802's (cherry finish) have also gone darker with age and this looks classy IMHO.

By the way, here in Bongoland we have a lot of sun streaming through the windows, and it has most definately darkened the Kevlar in the mid range and Lightened the surround of the bass driver.

Does anyone think that this will degreade the sound eventually?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"