X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jclyle
    • Feb 2005

? for N802 owners -upgraditis setting in

Hey-
    With the colder weather setting in & more time being spent indoors, I feel a nasty case of upgraditis coming soon... A question for the N802 owners out there.. what size room do you have them in? I have a 12x15 living room that is for stereo stuff only. one side has a doorway that opens to the foyer, one end has a double doorway into a 18 x12 den. My wife has given me the green light to upgrade to N802. If I find a pair within a few hours from home i'll go for it. My only concern is that there may be too much boom for da room with the N802s. Im in negotiations with my wife to set up the stereo in the 18x12 den but im not sure if i'll win. Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the N802 boxes & crates? My current set-up is:

B&W N804 w/ Sound Anchors
    Conrad-Johnson MF2500 amp - 240 solid-state wpc.
    Rogue 66 pre amp w/ NOS Mullards
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD player
    32" Samsung LCD

<cables removed by admin, determined to have no real relevence to this post>

90% music 10% movies

Also, would my amp supply enough juice for the N802's? I love the sound of that amp & dont want to part with it... Im a rocker & like it LOUD! The N804s aregreat for mids & highs, but I would like some more bass. Im not a big fan of sub's and have tried using one, but it was too easy to place in the room (hearing wise).

I'll post pics this weekend so you get a better feel for the room layout im working with.

Would N803 be a more sensible upgrade? I have a feeling the answer may be yes, but I wonder home much more bass i'd gain versus the N804.

Sorry to ramble, it's a slow day at work...
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I had N802s in a large room, about 15x30, open to the kitchen and foyer on one side as well. I have since let my dad have them and he has a dedicated room similar in size to yours.

I have heard them in a very small room, 10' wide maybe, powered by a CJ tube amp, MV60?? and they performed very well.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the boxes, but I'd guess they are roughly 18Wx30Dx60H (with the half palette on the bottom). They fit just right in the back of an SUV (Explorer and Jeep Cherokee for sure anyway).
    Danish

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

I'm an N802 and HTM1 owner. I'd recommend going for the N802. In my option there's not much comparison between that and the n803. You can find many opinions compairing the two on this web site. After, many a/b tests at the dealer it's wasn't an issue of deciding which sounded best, but whether I was ready to spend the extra $.

Regarding your issue with low frequencies. If there isn't enough just move them a little closer to the walls and you'll have lots of bass. But for best imaging plan to keep them away from the rear walls. If your really into the measurement of frequency waves, you can determine for yourself if you'll have a problem with LFE with your room size.

Most important about rocking out in a small room. The elimination of standing waves will reduce listening fatigue.
      Plan on installing some sound deading material. It'll help!!

I just measured my boxes. keep in mind this is from the bottom of the box which is about one inch wider than the top. It's 19.5" X 29" X 49".

Jeff

Comment

• TimL
        • Apr 2005

I aslo have the N802 and HTM1 in a room that is 13.5 ft x 14.75ft. they sound great, with very good detail and image. I did have to play with the toe-in a little to adjust the image for my main seating area. Your amp should do a fine job- I use a 250w Krell. Good luck

Comment

• Dan Schulze
          • Jun 2003

My 802's (plus HTM1 & 805's) are in a room 13.5' x 17'. It's a family room that is open to a kitchen. There is also a doorway at the back of the room open to a living room.

As for deep bass from the 802's, I noticed a huge, and I mean huge difference bi-amping, to the point where a sub wasn't needed for music.

Dan
          I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

Wow Dan, I tried bi-amping and I didn't think it made hardly any difference. I tested the amp for 3 days at my place. What I did found that increased the bass was the addition of a second high quality cable to woofers. this was about the same effect as whether it was connected to the same amp or the second amp.

The salesman at the dealership bet me it would made a hugh difference. He lost the bet and had to pay up.

I wish it would have made a difference. He offered an incredible deal on the second amp.

Jeff

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I guess what im finding, and first hand, is with the N802s... give em power!
              I knew when i bought my amp used, it wasnt enough.. but it had to do for the time being..

And now, im wanting.. needing.. More Power!
              Sure 200 watts works.. but.. double or triple that would work better!

Upgraditus has set in for me.. with the first snow fall tonight, and OT approved at work last week.. Im ready!

Now to put in a few extra hours.....
              B&W

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"