X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

B&W and Cable Routing send your Photo's

I thought it might make a good thread and learning experience if we all shared foto's of how we "route" cables to and from our B&W speakers and between our Components.

Mine is a Spaghetti Factory and would like to learn from some of you who do it more cleanly. ;x(

This ought to be a good thread for our Sponsor who might be able to shed some light and ideas for us.

[IMAGE]http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachment.php4?attachmentid=4594&stc=1[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachment.php4?attachmentid=4595&stc=1[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachment.php4?attachmentid=4596&stc=1[/IMAGE]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by misterdoggy; 18 October 2005, 09:19 Tuesday.
  • Verinnal
    • Mar 2005

Just actually redid this yesterday. Need to finish up tying some stuff down but will post pics this evening. Good thread idea

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

I don't really think this is B&W specific. Perhaps we should move it to another forum?

Nevertheless, I have found that open style racks like the one that you are using right now are not the best choice for a heavily cabled rack like yours, especially since your rack is pulled out into your room. I used a Lovan Sovereign rack for my stereo system (CD, preamp, amp), but when I added a home theater and multichannel SACD player, the number of cables I was using tripled. My rack was up against a wall, but I could still see the rat's nest poking out.

I would recommend a closed style rack like the ones found at Salamander (Salamander Racks). They can be configured with doors (with IR-friendly glass and perf-steel panels), side panels, and an extended back panel for hiding the mess of cables.

Another useful item is velcro cable ties. I prefer these to plastic zip ties because they are reusable, they don't pinch the cables, and they come in a variety of pretty colors.

I have found that I tend to overbuy cables with regard to length. If all your equipment is on a rack, you will rarely need cables much longer than two meters. If you are dedicated to a clean look, you should either buy the right length cables or trade in your existing cables. If you go with a rack that has integrated cable routing, you will need extra length, but otherwise, I follow the rough convention that the cable I need is about 1.5x the straight line distance from input to output.

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by aphexist
        Nevertheless, I have found that open style racks like the one that you are using right now are not the best choice for a heavily cabled rack like yours, especially since your rack is pulled out into your room.
        Even If I went with a closed rack on the front. The position of the Rack would still be visible from behind. From the Front and sides you don't see the wiring just like a closed unit. I prefer the Glass Look. :T

All about taste I guess

Comment

• aphexist
          • Jan 2004

For what it's worth, the rack I linked to has a closed back (or an optional extended rear panel) with integrated cable management and ventilation.

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Looks like nice stuff too. To each his own taste.

I was hoping to see some foto's of how people route their cabling. I'm sure there are lots of interesting idea's floating around out there and hope to see some jpegs eventually.

I tried to wire groups together ie: one amp has 3 inputs which travel together. There are just so many wires, Is it possible to do this neatly.

Comment

• texasbwfan
              • Sep 2005

I've been trying to figure out how to clean up my cable mess as well. A product that I'm interested in learning more about is called Flexo. It's basically an expandable conduit for routing HT cable. At the moment, I'm using cloth/velcro cable ties. The current solution works but I'd like a cleaner solution if there's one available.
              texasbwfan

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Hey Misterdoggy, I sent you a PM, I sent you a website for cable managment products, I didnt know if I could post the link.
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Here are a couple of options I've been thinking about:

Wiretracks

Cable Veil

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• RNKC
                    • Jun 2005

I use a shelf from Bellogetti. They incorporate a "CMS" - cable management system which is really just a hollow portion of the shelf through which one runs cables.

The earlier shelves (like the one I have) had holes which were a bit small to pass multiple cables through. Later shelves have solved this by making the holes bigger while still keeping the esthetics intact.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

I wonder if it pays to think about having one of those columns where the wiring runs thru neatly.

the problem can be if you need to get something out its all intertwined

Comment

• miner
                        • Mar 2005

This is what I used for managing my B&W 804 biwires. Worked great and the WAF is 100%.
                        Trust the industry's largest provider of end-to-end wire and cable management solutions for indoor and outdoor applications. Explore the Wiremold product line.

Comment

• scottielee
                          • Apr 2005

here is my mess 8O
                          i use westlake audio omega and rectangular cable muffs for minimal separation and vibration reduction.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by scottielee; 20 October 2005, 13:02 Thursday.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Hey Scottielee,

Is that an "Airport" I see there. I've been thinking about connecting my computer and Stereo. The Computer is on the second floor. I have wireless internet already, but with airport how does your stereo receive info. ?

I've made a place for my kids "ipod" to come in and the quality of sound is not bad, but their not always around and I have my own group of songs on imusic which I could hook in or better yet I heard Radio Paradise constant good sounds and supposedly in 5.1 on all the time. With Airport I could hook up into Cyber radio.:T

Bruce

Comment

• scottielee
                              • Apr 2005

hi Bruce,

that is an airport extreme connected to my cable modem and Roku PhotoBridge HD1000. it is not part of my audio system. i do stream photos in HD and occasionally music to PhotoBridge which is connected to my tv.

since you already have a wireless router, you don't need an airport, which is also a wireless router. you need a device which connects (via wire or wirelessly) to the router, has a user interface to navigate your computer's directory, music playback software, and analog or digital outs. Roku SoundBridge is such a device: http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

if you can access your computer while you listen to your audio system, airport express will work: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress

best of luck!
                              scott

Comment

• aphexist
                                • Jan 2004

Apple does have a great product that I use in my system, although it doesn't have a cool display: Airport Express

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

I checked it out and Airport Express is what I need. I have Mac so I'll just hook the modem/router I have to an Airport express via ethernet next to the computer and one next to the stereo and hook it in there via jack/rca. I-tunes should recognize the Airport Express even if its hooked up by ethernet and the computer end right?

Comment

• scottielee
                                    • Apr 2005

if your computer already has a wireless network adapter, then you only need one airport express. just hook it up to your stereo via the mini-audio jack and plug it in an ac outlet. your computer should be able to see the airport express if it is within range.

but in this setup you need to use your computer to change songs. not very convenient if your computer is far away from your audio system.

Comment

• aphexist
                                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by scottielee
                                      if your computer already has a wireless network adapter, then you only need one airport express. just hook it up to your stereo via the mini-audio jack and plug it in an ac outlet. your computer should be able to see the airport express if it is within range.

but in this setup you need to use your computer to change songs. not very convenient if your computer is far away from your audio system.
                                      Right. You only need one AP Express. It is a very flexible device. I had a 10 meter cable running from my computer to the stereo before which was ugly enough to drop the cash on the APE. Sound quality is great, but having a strong signal at the location where you are streaming is necessary (unless you are hardwiring), otherwise the playback drops out periodically.

The Roku Labs product that you posted looks like it might be worth an upgrade for me. The closest computer to my stereo is now a floor away, so changing songs and playlists won't be as easy. Being able to navigate my library from the device itself would be great. Does it stream wirelessly?

Comment

• scottielee
                                        • Apr 2005

SoundBridge does have built in wi-fi.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

I've got the G5 2x2GB but no airport card. So if I put the airport card in my G5 and have the airport express next to the stereo that is enough then. I'm gonna get the Card and Express tomorrow. Only jack to analog rca connects unfortunately.

I called Roku and they don't support Europe yet. Good idea to distribute that here huh ? Optic fiber connections etc great stuff.

Comment

• scottielee
                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                            I've got the G5 2x2GB but no airport card. So if I put the airport card in my G5 and have the airport express next to the stereo that is enough then.
                                            should work :T
                                            do you have dual 2ghz processors or 4gb of RAM? either way, man, you are living the life 8O
                                            my trusty 3-year-old titanium g4 550mhz with 512mb of RAM is still kicking, albeit slowly.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Scottielee
                                              I got the dual 2 ghz with 2.5 Ram. Its my work though as I am webmaster of my 4 websites. No Airport card though. Tomorrow Im gonna get me one.
                                              thanks for the advice. I'll let you know

Comment

• teeball
                                                • Aug 2005

Wiremold.

Originally posted by miner
                                                This is what I used for managing my B&W 804 biwires. Worked great and the WAF is 100%.
                                                http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...ate2/index.asp
                                                Great idea miner, That is what i used for my surround spkrs. and it works great. Besides hiding the wire it also looks good with the decor. speakers: B&W 802D's for the front. Signature HTM-1, center ch. SCM-1 for surrounds.
                                                At first i was considering sinking the wire in the wall, but the wire mold was a much simpler choice. Again miner, great idea.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

I sent the wires to my surrounds under the floor of the living room thru molding and drilled holes in the wood floor where the speakers are !

There a brands of "flat wires" that can run under the carpet too.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

I got the Airport up and running but was disappointed that you could ony have one destination at a time. Either computer or Express 1 etc........ Oh well. I wonder why ?

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"