X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

Thoughts on zip ties, and cables

My HT is down for the next week while I wait for my new Pre/Pro. I am going to take advantage of
    the down time to tidy up the mess behind my system. I think I read a whileback that it is not a good idea to zip tie cables together. I think something about getting cross talk between the cables. What are your thoughts on this? Also I remember reading something about its better to run power cables, and interconnects perpendicular to each othe vs. parallel. Any truth to this?
    I dont want to go through all the trouble and find the mess sounded better than well organized cables
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Bob, if there is any correlation, you should see the back of my system. It sounds dang good too. hehe.

Really, I think it's entirely possible that electronic crosstalk can occur. Electronic signals are funny animals. I know that's highly technical, and I apologize for that. lol.

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I've heard the same things bob but honestly if you think you have a rats nest you should see behind my rack

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm not sure about the zip having an effect oneway or the other but, I have been putting order to my mess for three years now.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Wireless
          • Feb 2001

John
          My HT Picts
          John
          My HT Picts

Comment

• Wireless
            • Feb 2001

I gave up on the whole idea of neatness. I tried those velcro ties, but found I was moving, adding, and shifting things so much it quickly became a rats nest again. I would love to have one of those systems whose placement of equipment on the shelves is well thought out and the cables run in symmetrical highways to and from the control center, like a work of art......Nah!

John
            My HT Picts
            John
            My HT Picts

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

One day I tore every cable out and threw them in the floor in a big pile, and I said by george I am going to fix this mess!

I did after I installed the first two wires, it looked good. From there on out, it was downhill and it has been ever since, lol.

What cables I tied off, later was an incovenience when I needed to do something different. Swap out a set of cables, dang, they are tied up, you get the picture.

Lex

Comment

• Crimson
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

To answer your question about cross-talk, no that does not occur. In pro installations, whether the wiring is balanced or not, tie-wraps are used profusely. I've seen some racks wired that to my eyes looked like works of art: 50-100 cables neatly tie-wrapped and dressed.

Q.
                Q.

Comment

• Lexman
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2000

Well, that's one perspective Crimson. But tell me, would you think that a magnet can do what it can to a television picture? There is a magnetic field associated with a change in an electronic device. Electrical current can also produce magnetic fields. So, personally, I won't rule it out, though I realize we are talking about a very low current for the most part, except for um, the elecrical cords.

Lex

Comment

• KennyG
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2000

I've had it both ways and never heard a difference, but with a neatly tie-wrapped system every stinkin' time I wanted to change something I had to cut 10 tie-wraps...so now, mine is a rats nest...and I'm proud of it!
                    Just keep your power cords away from innerconnects and speaker cables, if they must cross, space them, and cross at 90 degree angles.

Comment

• Bob Santos
                      • Mar 2001

Great replies guy's.
                      Good point about having to cut the ties off to swap cables, or move things around. I may just leave it alone. Geez so now what to do whithout a pre/pro. I tried watching Episode 1 on VHS thru my tv speakers. That lasted about 6 minutes.

Comment

• Robbie
                        • Aug 2000

The only thing I do is seperate the power from the low level cables. I have never known a problem with crosstalk but I figure 120V could cause some 60 Hz hum so I figure why take a chance. Fortunantly, all the power is on one side and the line in/outs are on the other side so for me its pretty easy. I have all my cables wraped in that car wiring loom stuff. One side has the power and the other has the line cables. Its fairly easy to get cables in and out although I probibly need some bigger ones as it is getting a little tight.

Robbie

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                          • Aug 2000

I too have had them zip tied and untied. I haven't heard a difference. I do use pretty well insulated stuff when I can so maybe that helps. Like Kenny, after a painful year of cutting ties to replace wires, I now just let them hang.

What's cool is that the spring tension of the ball of wire pressing against the back of the cabinet helps me pull out components when it's time for work.

Ken
                          Ken

Comment

• KennyG
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2000

Ken, I suddenly got this vision of you opening a glass door to get to your electronics and they all came shooting to a knocked you to the floor...death was due to "interconnect spring tension"...from the side you could see hundreds of feet of interconnect...:e h:

Comment

• Lexman
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2000

So you already sold the Theta Bob? Just curious why your without a pre-pro.

Kenny, lol. Good one.

Lex

Comment

• Bob Santos
                                • Mar 2001

Lex,
                                Yes I shipped the Casa Nova out to it's new owner the other day. For some reason my bank say's that a out of state money order takes 5 buisness day's to clear. So I have a few days before the funds are available.
                                I definately miss my Theta. It sounded so good, just didnt offer me what some of the other Pre/Pro's can. I sure hope the B&K will do a good job in it's place. I still have a few day's to change my mind I just need to stay away from reading the Tag club. I hate how much I want that thing. I am trying with all my might to resist. Buying the B&K allows me to do a much needed amp upgrade. I am currently using a HK PA5800 I bought just to use until I get a better amp. I never did get a chance to put the funds aside. All though the HK sounds ok it is seariously lacking in power, and punch.
                                So that leaves me with the choice of a Ref 30, and better amp all at once. Or I could spend more on the Pre/Pro, and live with a weak amp for a few more months.
                                Now thanks to you guy's I have decided not to do the zip ties, so that free's up another $1.49

Comment

• Lexman
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2000

Yeah, I sort of always wanted to try a Theta, but the timing would have been off for me anyway. hehe. Tag? I am trying not to think about that. lol. I luv my lex, I luve my lex. Keep telling myself that. Of course, when you name yourself after our pre-pro, it doesn't leave a whole lot of options.

1.49? Oh, surely you jest. That's 2.98 at least. You never just buy 1 pack. :B

You know, it's like I have known Bob for years. He seems to have the same warped sense of humor as me. Why is that Bob? lol.

Lex

Comment

• Bob Santos
                                    • Mar 2001

I am one of the fortunate few who is able to obtain zip ties at whosale prices I run a hobby shop, and we stock them for tidying up wires on radio controll stuff. So if you ever have trouble finding a good price for a pack of ties let me know. I'll hook you up They are available in florecent colors as well.
                                    Yeah bummer about the name. That does close up options. I'm sure I can come up with a new name for ya Although "The Moderator formerly known as.... " will do fine.
                                    I'll make a deal with you. If you buy a Tag I will buy a Tag.

Comment

• migliore
                                      • Nov 2000

I would ad least keep interconnects away from speaker cables away from power cables. Even digital interconnects away from analog ones.

Here is an article from JS on 'cable dressing':

Rob

Reviews and System
                                      Reviews and System

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Migliore,
                                        Good article, Maybe I "WILL" work on that nest after all

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob Santos
                                          • Mar 2001

Migliore,
                                          Thanks for the link. I had that bookmarked a long time ago, but lost the URL when I got a new computer. Thats a excellent article

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"