X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minivan
    • Jan 2005

B&W 705 - sub?

Anyone got any recommendations for a sub that would match some shiny new 705s?

Word on the street is that B&W subs aren't the best ones out there.

What are your thoughts?

cheers,

Minivan
    ----------------------------------
    Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

There's nothing wrong with B&W subs...they're just a bit overpriced.

Comment

• george_k
      • Jan 2004

There's nothing wrong with B&W subs...they're just a bit overpriced
      A remote would be nice too :-(

Personally, I'm saving up for a DD-12, there isn't much for selection here in Montreal.

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I would recommend checking out the PV-1 or ASW675. I went with a Rel Strata 5 in the end, but that was just personal preference - I liked the connection options and the remote is great for fine tuning. I use it for both 2.1 and 5.1. It blends in nicely with the 705 and the finish in Rosenut is virtually identical to the B&Ws. Try to get as many home demos as you can - in store demos are only useful when working out a shortlist, after that you need to see how the little beast will work in you room.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• perato
          • Jan 2005

Remember, you can get any subwoofer you want and if it has no equalization, you can always add a Velodyne SMS-1 equalizer. Personally, I have a B&W ASW650 with my 705. The ASW650 is okay, but from what I have read there are probably better subwoofers available for less money. People on this forum seem to like REL. If you peruse other forums you will find supporters of Velodyne, HSU, SVS, etc. There was a poll about subwoofers some time ago - search for it.
          In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

If you're doing music, I'd prob suggest the matching ASW700. If not, pick yer favorite.

Comment

• tonych31
              • Sep 2004

I have the REL Strata 3 with Rotel 1068/1075. I am satisfied with it for both music and HT. The only drawback is it takes a long time to burn in.

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by perato
                ...you can always add a Velodyne SMS-1 equalizer.

Is this even available as of yet? It's not on their website and no dealers have it available.

Comment

• perato
                  • Jan 2005

It probably is not available in stores yet but Velodyne apparently has been displaying it at trade shows such as CEDIA. Various websites have been floating around MSRP of anywhere between US$400 and US$700. Audioholics posted a bit of info about the SMS-1. There are a few other websites that have some info about it.
                  In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"