X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobcatt
    • Oct 2005

Newbie with upgrade questions for CDM Based system

I am new to this forum but not to B&W's. I thought I knew a lot about audio until I started reading this forum. ;x(
    Please help me make the most out of my A/V system.

I want to upgrade again and not sure what to go with. Right now my system consists of....
    Denon AVR-2803 7.1
    B&W AWS 2000 Sub (I think the amp is blown) going to be repairing ASAP
    B&W CDM 2SE Fronts
    B&W CC6 Center
    B&W In-wall Rears

My room size is 24 X 30 X 8 foot ceiling and I listen to rock more than watch movies and I like to crank it up.
    My thoughts are to replace the rear in-walls with my CDM 2SE's
    and replace the fronts with something bigger. B&W has so many different configurations now. I love the sound of tight bass not the booming bass. I usually prefer the 2 way sealed designs. I have researched the B&W's and am finding it hard to decide what would match my CDM 2SE's.
    Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :T

Bobcatt
    Last edited by Bobcatt; 05 October 2005, 12:58 Wednesday.
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

I think B&W "replacement" for the CDM series was the 700 series. It might not completely match tonally though but it depends on how much you would notice it.

Personally the first thing I would change out is the Denon AVR-2803 or get an amp for it. I am guessing that most of the Music you listen to is 2 channel (I personally hate the surround processors on 2 channel because it makes the Music sound funny). And given that you have some pretty nice speakers already the best bang for the buck is feeding the suckers some better amplification.

Then when you have more "Juice" upgrade the speakers with towers.

Comment

• Bobcatt
      • Oct 2005

Interesting thought... Thanks

On another note, when my Sub went out. To get back some low end, I brought up my old 1975 Advent/1 speaker from the basement because of the 10" sealed woofer over the 6.5" ported CDM 2SE.

And that is when I decided I needed bigger fronts. For music the Advents alone all most sounded as good as the CDM 2se with the ASW2000 sub. :E

It looked like the CDM series tweeter were the same as my 2SE. Just was hoping to get a comformation.

As for the Denon amp my wife liked the simplicity of operation. Not really an option unless it has preouts (right?)

Thanks again, I needed that... Nice to hear from some one with another direction

Bobcatt

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Well depending on how much you are wanting to spend (always should be a first consideration)... you have many routes to go...

One option I would look at is a better processor. Something from Rotel, like RSX-1056, RSP-1068/98 would do a 50x better job at 2ch listening then your Denon. IMHO, Denon has always been very lacking at 2ch, good for surround, but drops the ball hardcore with 2ch. So that's one route.

I would also look to the B&W 604s, 703s, 803+ for your speakers. You want at least a double bass driver on your towers to really get that great sound you are wanting. I will warn you that the 803s and up are very good with rock music, but better suited at classical and jazz. It's not that rock doesn't sound good, it just doesn't have the punch one is used to. It's not a lack of, it's because they just reproduce the sound THAT much better. Tough to explain but one listen and you will understand. Another downside to the higher end speakers is that you will need much better amplification to drive them. So you are forced into a seperate amp to really get the "all" from the speakers...hence more money...

Either path you go, is going to make a big difference.

I would also recommend moving away from using a sub in listening and moving closer to a 2ch bypass from a good CD player with good DACs in it which will get you even better sound from your stereo...but you loose the subwoofer, which unless listening to deep organ music... is hardly noticeable and really, once you get used to it. Sounds much better.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Sim reality
          • Aug 2005

Don't listen to PewterTA! The 800 series is evil!!!

If you even start to listen to them next thing you know you will have morgaged your house, sold your car and you family will hold an "intervention" because of your search for audio nirvana.

Just nip that upgrade bug in bud... Just look at better processor/amplification and some 703s and then back away slowly...

Comment

• Jonesy
            • Feb 2003

Well...I'd listen to Pewter a bit. He makes a couple good points. I agree with him that the 803's are less forgiveing of rock than lesser series. I auditioned the 604 & 803 and prefered the 604. It was very close to the 803 (IMHO) for much less $. I was more impressed with the 604 for rock.

However, before you go there I'd second the previous opinion of trying an outboard amp. You can plug one into your preouts on your 2803 and get into 200 watts of Rotel power for $400 - $500 on the used market. Probably the best chance of the greatest impact. And you can use it to power your new 604's when you get them :W

Comment

• Bobcatt
              • Oct 2005

WOW... I might owe an apoligy here... As I slowly back away. :B

PewterTA, Thanks for the future plans. I will put that in print. ;x(

Sim reality, That's more in line of what I am after right now.

I just bought a pair of CDM7's and will try Bi-wiring/amping them off both sides of the A/B head unit.

Get the sub repaired for HT, and then start the dreaming of the future plans all over again.
              1. Amp
              2. Processor

I appreciated your expertice.

Until the next upgrade
              Bobcatt

PS... Unless you want an update of the outcome or pics.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"