X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CriPPleR_HD
    • Apr 2006

Best Upgrade from CMD series?

Hello All,

Long time B&W user who happen to stumble onto this site at a great time.

I was wondering if I can get some advice on upgrading my speakers and receiver. My current speakers are B&W. FL/FR: CDM 1NT, Center: CDM CNT, and SL/SR/RL/RR: DM 601. My current receiver is a Denon AVR-3802.

Since the CDM's have been discontinued, I was wondering which B&W speaker replaced them. I want to make sure I am doing a upgrade and not a side grade. Right now it's hard for me to compare my current system with current B&W speakers because it is hooked up with cheep wire from radio shack and they are not properly placed since we are in a temporary living space until our house is finish being built in August.

We just purchased a new house and will be placing the HT in the Family Room which is 17'-11"x15'-8" with a vaulted ceiling. My budget is loosely $10,000 for 7.1 speakers, receiver/amp, and HDTV. I am not too worried about the TV yet, but the speakers and receiver are of utmost importance to me. What do you guys think will be a noticeable upgrade to the CDM's?

Thanks in advance.

-Sam
    Last edited by CriPPleR_HD; 19 April 2006, 19:44 Wednesday. Reason: Title Edited
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

B&W 700 series speakers repaced the CDM series

CDM1 replaced by 705
    CDM 7 replaced by 704
    CDM9 replaced by 703
    CDMC replaced by HTM7 (I think)

Supposedly, the 700 series is a sonic upgrade from the CDM series, for roughly the same amount of money. However, that is an increemantal gain. To get a major step up, you move to the 800 series. The "equivalent" model to the CDM1 is the 805S, but they are over $3K per pair.

Comment

• CriPPleR_HD
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by stantheman2
      B&W 700 series speakers repaced the CDM series

CDM1 replaced by 705
      CDM 7 replaced by 704
      CDM9 replaced by 703
      CDMC replaced by HTM7 (I think)

Supposedly, the 700 series is a sonic upgrade from the CDM series, for roughly the same amount of money. However, that is an increemantal gain. To get a major step up, you move to the 800 series. The "equivalent" model to the CDM1 is the 805S, but they are over $3K per pair.
      Thanks stantheman2, Just the info I was looking for.

Knowing that the 700 series replaced the CDM series I would definitely want to go to the 800 series since the 700 series would be more of a side grade.

Knowing that, what speakers in the 800 series should I be looking at for a room that is 17'-11"x15'-8" with a vaulted ceiling? What combination of the 800 series would give me noticeable difference over the CDM's?

So far I am leaning toward the 803S for the left and right channels and a HTM3S for the center but with a PB12–Ultra/2 for the sub I am wondering if I would be better of getting the 805's for the left and right channels?

As for surrounds, would it be better to get SCMS or DS8S?

I am going to listen to all these speakers this weekend at century stereo, I just would like to see what worked best for the members who tried these speakers themselves.

Thanks again for the quick reply, stantheman2.

-Sam

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

CriPPleR_HD, I think you're headed in the right direction, looking at the 800 Series. I recently began upgrading from the CDM series as well. I have a smaller room, so I went with 805S fronts and HTM4S center. Moved CDM 1NTs to the rear (for the time being) until I can do another pair of 805S. Couldn't be happier with the sound!

Just FYI, the US price of a pair of 805S is $2500, not $3K as quoted earlier in this thread. And most dealers will give a bit of a discount off this price.
        Brad

Comment

• CriPPleR_HD
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
          CriPPleR_HD, I think you're headed in the right direction, looking at the 800 Series. I recently began upgrading from the CDM series as well. I have a smaller room, so I went with 805S fronts and HTM4S center. Moved CDM 1NTs to the rear (for the time being) until I can do another pair of 805S. Couldn't be happier with the sound!

Just FYI, the US price of a pair of 805S is $2500, not $3K as quoted earlier in this thread. And most dealers will give a bit of a discount off this price.
          Thanks for the reply, Blindamood.

How is the tonal balance between the 805S and the CDM1? The reason I ask is, if it sounds good enough I can move my CDM1's to the rear which will allow me to spend more money on the receiver/amp etc.

Speaking of Amp's, I had only used receivers to power my speakers. I have no experience with amps. Would a receiver like the Denon AVR-4806 or AVR-5805 be enough to power the 803's? If not what amp's/pre-amps should I be looking into to drive the 803S?

Thanks again,

-Sam

Comment

• akhter
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by CriPPleR_HD
            Thanks for the reply, Blindamood.

How is the tonal balance between the 805S and the CDM1? The reason I ask is, if it sounds good enough I can move my CDM1's to the rear which will allow me to spend more money on the receiver/amp etc.

Speaking of Amp's, I had only used receivers to power my speakers. I have no experience with amps. Would a receiver like the Denon AVR-4806 or AVR-5805 be enough to power the 803's? If not what amp's/pre-amps should I be looking into to drive the 803S?

Thanks again,

-Sam
            Go with an Arcam AVR300 + B&W 805S + HTM4 (since you have a great sub) and use your older speakers for the surrounds. When moving to 800 series, you want better sonics than what any Denon could provide (although you'd be giving up some wiz bang features). Personally I think all the wizbang features are there to help the system sound good, which the Arcam does right out of the box. If you have money left over in you budget, consider the 804 or 803 instead of the 805.

Comment

• Clepto
              • Feb 2006

If you want to continue using your existing receiver (assuming it has preouts) you can go for a nice 2-channel amp (min 2x 200wpc) or go for the big guns with 2x 500wpc, and possibly a 2nd 5 channel amp for your center and surrounds... Various Rotel amps might be a good start. You could continue to use your existing receiver to drive the surrounds (maybe the center), and that way you don't have to shell out quite so much on your electronics...

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

I think the balance is quite good between the 805S and the 1NTs used for rear channels. If nothing else, use that as a starting point, and upgrade later if you need to. I intend to go with another pair of 805S in the rear at some point, but primarily for aesthetics.
                Brad

Comment

• CriPPleR_HD
                  • Apr 2006

Thanks again for the advice.

As akhter suggested I did some research on the Arcam AVR300 and it seems to be quite impressive. I will see if I can audition it this Saturday when I go check out the 800 series.

Clepto brings up a great point. I might have to hold off on getting a receiver and just purchase a good amp since the Arcam AVR300 does not offer HDMI or DTS-HD/DDTrueHD. I might can get away with getting a good amp and later getting a good pre-amp with the new features for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

My wife agreed that I can get the 803D if I use the CDM1's as rears but that leaves me with another problem that you guys might can help me with.

If I get the 803D and the HTM2 what amp would I be able to use with it that will do the 803D's justice and not break the bank? I hear that you NEED really high end amps to drive it and that no receiver will do. If that is the case wont I need the same type of amp to run the 803S since it almost the same speaker with a superior design?

I really don't want my speakers to be vastly superior to my electronics and vice versa. If anyone can suggest good matching amps with each speaker set down the 800 line that would be a HUGH help in helping me pick a system that has the power to make my speakers shine regardless of the class. I've heard that having 805S + Arcam AVR300 will net better results then 803D + Arcam AVR300 because of the 805S being a better match. How true is that statment?

Once again, thanks again for the GREAT advice. You guys have been a great resource.

Comment

• Miroku
                    • Jul 2004

I've heard that having 805S + Arcam AVR300 will net better results then 803D + Arcam AVR300 because of the 805S being a better match. How true is that statment?

Once again, thanks again for the GREAT advice. You guys have been a great resource.

I can't say from experience with that exact comparison, but my guess is that the only better result in the 805 option will be your bank balance.

My friend recently bought an AVR300 and a surround package of Linn speakers which are 4 ohm impedance speakers with significantly lower sensitivity than any B&W. the AVR300 does a fantastic job with them and I imagine it'd be fine for most B&Ws. Perhaps the 802 and bigger might be a stretch for the AVR300 but the 803 should be ok I think. Really you just need to go listen to it at the dealer and judge for yourself. :W

The Arcam sound is absolutely lovely. I'm going to get an Arcam pre-pro when they come out with an update to the AVP700. I've borrowed the 700 a few times from my dealer and I love the sound compared to my Marantz receiver.

The "you need a super powerful amp for 800 series" stigma seems a bit off to me. Sure the speaker will sound worlds better with some 500w bryston/levinson, etc... monoblocks but B&W's are sensitive enough that they can still be an enjoyable listening experience with a lesser amp, such as a Rotel 1075.

I heard a demo theater a few years ago running N803's, 800series wall mounted surrounds (forgot the model name), and an HTM1 running off a Rotel 1075 and it sounded pretty sweet to my ears. Of course that speaker setup could have handled way more power, but the thought that it would sound better with smaller speakers to match the smaller amp never crossed my mind. I just dont think that would be the case.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"