X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koki
    • Sep 2005

Newbie needs some guidance on right B&Ws

Hi all - I'm an old dog trying to learn new things and one of them is making a decision on speakers. I've heard the entry level 600's up to the 8's and with my very untrained ears, I can clearly hear the difference. In anticipation of purchasing a h/t I anxiously went out and purchased a Denon 3805 but have the ability to return it - no questions asked within a specific time if the receiver doesn't meet my needs.

I'm thinking of the 704's mainly due to price and size of room, which is roughly 16w x 15d with one side open. Am I wrong by assuming a tower would give more information vs. say a bookshelf ie: 705's? Would the Denon 3805 compliment a sub, center and rears?

Last night I heard a pair of JM Lab's Cobalt 816S and like what I heard. First I ever heard of them until I read that they were afiliated with Focal. Anywho, the reason to this post is to hopefully get some guidance and direction whether it be by suggestion/opinion or pasting informative links.

Remember, I'm by no means an audiophile but enjoy listening to music as much as movies. And sometimes t.v. usually sports or Formula 1 racing.

As you can tell, I'm pretty much wet behind the ears on this stuff but I'm a firm believer that there's still hope for me yet. So many options and not enough moolah.

I'll be the sponge that soaks up any knowledge you folks would like to share.
    ;x(

Thank you in advance!
    Edward

Koki is my dog's name. :P
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

The 704's will give you good value, since you would need alot better than Denon for any "FST" B&W speaker (703 and 800 series floorstanders). Yes the 704 will give you more than a 705, it is bigger and has one more driver (speaker) in it. The CM series is gone, but if you can find a CM4, listen to it. It cost less than the 704, and might meet your needs (and you could get it with a big discount).

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

Koki:

welcome....

I have a similar sized listening room, 15 x 12 that is open on one side to a very large living room with vaulted ceilings. I used to have the 805S speakers which were great in my 12 x 12 fully enclosed den but when I was forced out by the wife to make space for a kids play room, I felt like the 805S struggled to deal with the larger area. I recently upgraded to the 804S speakers which I hope will have a better time coping with a large open space.

And as jim777 said, the 704s are really nice speakers. To me they do have a different sound than the 805 or 804s though. So it depends on your listening preferences. I also have the 601 speakers in my bedroom and without a doubt the 6 series offers tremendous value. jim777 is also right about the amplification source. If you decide to go with the any of the larger free standing speakers dont forget about getting a quality amp.

Comment

• Koki
        • Sep 2005

Thank you for your input and will take heed.

Looks like I'm leaning more towards the 704's. :T

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"