X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

HT Improvement wanted...

I have built my system over the past year and am looking for input. I have a pair of B&W 800Ds for fronts, N802 for rear, HTM2D for center and a Velodyne DD12 sub (wife didn't want another large speaker). To drive this I have the Classe Delta CP500 pre connected to (2) Classe 350/Cams. I use the Denon 3910 DVD/CD player. I then use HT passtrhu to the Denon 5805 for HT. The 5085 also uses the CAM/350s for front amplication. My 2 channel sounds great. I think my weak point is the Denon. Also For HDTV I have the Qualia RP 70 inch. Any recomendations on what other sytems I should look at to dramatically improve my HT? would the Lexicon RV8 be a good addition or should I go with separates? If separates, which are the top choices you would recommend based on my setup?
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

SRT-Viper,
    Sounds like a great system. I switched from the Denon/Pioneer etc types of CD/DVD player to a top end transport and the difference was incredible. I've got an Ayre d-1Xe retails for about $8500 and plays only CD's and DVD's, but plays both with incredible detail. Since the "source" is the 'player', then that's one place to look.

I too am looking to upgrade from my Parasound Halo C1 to another Processor and have considered the Lexicon 12B or Meridian G68 for alternatives.

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

Seems like you're a little weak in the bass area for starters. DD12 is a very good sub, but I don't think it can equal the performance of your speakers. A bigger sub to start with, preferably two of them and each 15 inches. Get the wife on board!

Comment

• RNKC
        • Jun 2005

Nice setup! 2 suggestions and one comment come to my mind:

1) Try using a DVD player for DVDs but a CD transport for CDs.
        2) Try a Nautilus sub; it would probably blend in (sonically) quite well with the rest of your speakers.

As for the comment, you already have a very high-end system. Anything you do won't really "dramatically improve" it. At this point, you're likely just going to be able to tweak it. But don't forget that one important tweak is the room itself. Consider getting your room tuned acoustically. There are lots of threads here on that topic.

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

First of all
          What do you feel you are lacking? Lets work from there. Or is it just a case of upgraditis.
          It looks like a great system that you have already.
          You will be hard pressed to get a better pre section that the 5805. You are running very decent amplification to your two speakers.
          The only "weak" link in your system will be IMHO, two channel playback.
          I would go for a very good stand alone CDP or better still, a DAC and Transport. E. G. The Mark Levinson 390S.
          Run it by us again how you have hooked up your system?
          Perhaps also the use of another DD12 sub to match the other.
          But first what does not sound right for you?
          George.

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

To echo RNKC, the best tweak that you can make is the room acoustics itself.
            There are some very good articles on room acoustics on the audioholics website.
            It is thought by some that a 20% investment in room acoustics can bring about at least a 30% improvement in sound(hope I got the %'s right).
            George.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

SR-10 Viper,
              My 2 channel sounds great. I think my weak point is the Denon.
              I know you are right... The Denon 5805 has a veil of detail loss compaired to the best processors that is instantly audible once you have heard it... Given your Classe Amplification - have you considered the Class SSP-600 processor... Very nice... Of course this is undersood to be being upgaded sometime in the next 12 months to newer hardware to support Dolby Prologic IIx etc. but other than that it has pretty well every format you could want... Arguably the stereo performance this has is good enough you could trade in your existing Classe pre-amp...

Another great processor I heard the other day is the Halcro SSP-100 which was very impressive and included built in video upconversion....

Anyhow - with your level system your friendly dealer would doubtless be only too pleased to lend you a demo processor to try - you will know instantly if it is for you....

PS - I also agree with the others re room treatment etc...

Geoff

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                • Mar 2005

Geoff, Thanks for the input... I just bought Krell TAS 200X5 and am looking at Meridian G series or Lexicon V5... Any thought?

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

What are you powering with that krell? biamping the 800Ds?

I am not a big fan of lexicon... They are good at reverb, but I dont want reverb in my stereo unless called for.

At the level you are looking at, I would probably look at the classe SSP600 or the 300.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                    • Mar 2005

I will use it for the center Htm2D an rears 802N. I use the classe 350/CAMs for the fronts.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"