X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

Stands For Signature 805s

I just bought a set of Signature 805s in Red Birdseye Maple, my first B&W speaker purchase. These are works of art IMHO. Although I have seen the B&W Black and Silver stands for these speakers, I wondering if their are any other alternatives out there? I was hoping to possibly find some type of clear acrylic stand to further enhance these shining stars. If I am going to spend $600, I want to at least explore other options.

Thanks, Ed
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

The only other option I explored was built a pair similar in design to the B&W ones out of black walnut. I used a high gloss lacquer instead of my usual satin laqcuer to try and copy the appearance of the signature finish. Not a dead match, but more of a match than the industrial look from B&W.

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

congratulations Ed on your beautiful speakers (i adore my pair as well).

although i can't offer any alternatives, if you go with stands other than the matching b&w fsn805, consider drilling holes through them to enable screw mount of speakers to stands. also look for ones that are either very heavy or sand/metal bit fillable.

Comment

• bullitt731
        • Aug 2005

What do you think of these @ http://www.customisolation.com/detail.asp?IDA=44 ?
        They are acrylic and you could drill a hole in them for mounting. Unfortunatly they may not be very heavy. Is the extra weight used for sound quality or stability?

Ed

Comment

• scottielee
          • Apr 2005

i kind of don't like the acrylic+aluminum+gold color scheme. it seems that the stand surface is not long enough to cover the depth of the speakers. it would be great to make them entirely out of acrylic and shapewise identical to the b&w ones.

weight increases stability which also translates to better sound quality. bass response improved noticeably (further extension and tighter) when i added apollo sound bytes to my stands. apollo sound bytes are tiny metal bits cut into flat, crescent shapes. they are sold by the bucket and are way overpriced (about $125 to fill up two stands).

sorry i am not very helpful...

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

scottielee:

those soundbytes are that much more expensive than using lead shot. So either you didnt really overpay, or I totally overpaid!

Comment

• bullitt731
              • Aug 2005

I am going to contact the company and ask them if I send them a template if they will cut the top to match the speakers. We have a lot of contemporary furniture in our family room with aluminum trim and I thought the gold matched the speaker cone so I think they would work OK. It would be nice if the tubes were hollow so you could fill them with a weighted material.

Ed

Comment

• Pieter
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by bullitt731
                I am going to contact the company and ask them if I send them a template if they will cut the top to match the speakers.
                If you are interested, I drew the profile of the 805 bottom plate a while back when I did my stands.

It is quite accurate, and any variance from a speaker's bottom plate is due to manufacturing tolerances in the speaker itself.

The profile is available as a DXF file or any other drawing format if you would so choose. Works great for sending to a company that does e.g. laser cutting.

Comment

• bullitt731
                  • Aug 2005

Thanks for the offer Pieter, could you email it to edboswell007@hotmail.com

Ed

Comment

• Pieter
                    • Jan 2005

Thanks for the offer Pieter, could you email it to edboswell007@hotmail.com
                    Ed
                    Done

Comment

• bullitt731
                      • Aug 2005

Got It Thanks!!!!

Comment

• Pieter
                        • Jan 2005

Got It Thanks!!!!
                        Only a pleasure.

Comment

• bullitt731
                          • Aug 2005

Pieter,

I some how lost the file, I saved it but when I tried to open it the page was blank. Would you mind emailing it to Tate, he is the person I have been in contact with about making a custom acrylic stand for the 805s.

Here is his email address. tate@trinicom.com

Best Regards, Ed

Comment

• Pieter
                            • Jan 2005

...Would you mind emailing it to Tate...
                            Not at all.

Sent.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                              • Mar 2005

I purchased Sound Anchor stands to go with my Sig 805's; while these may not have the aesthetics you are looking for, they are a very solid (heavy) stand, cheaper than B&W's too.

Comment

• caleb
                                • Aug 2004

STAY AWAY FROM SOUND ANCHOR STANDS! ! ! !
                                The company are a bunch of shysters who don't have a clue what customer service means.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                                  STAY AWAY FROM SOUND ANCHOR STANDS! ! ! !
                                  The company are a bunch of shysters who don't have a clue what customer service means.
                                  Why don't you expound further when making such a claim. I have purchased two sets of stands from them and I have nothing but positive experiences with them.

Comment

• bullitt731
                                    • Aug 2005

Actually I am am working with a company (with Pieter's help) who is custom making a set of clear acrylic stands for me. They will be a hollow 3 tube support design with the top shelf machined to match the speaker form (similar to the B&W stands). The tubes can be filled with weighted material for stability (similar to the Sound Anchor stands). Our goal is to come up with a strong yet understated design which will enhance and not detract from these great :lol: speakers, stay tuned.

Ed

Comment

• texasbwfan
                                      • Sep 2005

Ed,

My dealer gave me a good deal on Premier J Series stands for my B&W 805s. The stands are surprisingly well made but do not mount directly to the base of the speakers. I will be drilling a hole in the stand plate that supports the speaker so that I can mount the 805 directly to the speaker stand. I'm also considering filling the stands with sand...not sure how much benefit if any I'll notice by doing this.
                                      texasbwfan

Comment

• caleb
                                        • Aug 2004

Hi Pieter.
                                        Hope you enjoyed the "sweet spot" I certainly enjoyed your music.

Comment

• Pieter
                                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                                          Hi Pieter.
                                          Hope you enjoyed the "sweet spot" I certainly enjoyed your music.
                                          Most definitely, thank you. Always fun to broaden the musical horizon; there's so much good music out there.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"