X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bullitt731
    • Aug 2005

Used N804s vs New 703s For HT Setup

Seems like you can get a very nice set of used N804s for about the same price as new set of 703s. In a system used for 60% HT and 40% music, which model would be a better choice? I will be using a 10" Velodyne sub which I already own as part of the system.

Thanks, Ed
  • PavelL
    • Sep 2005

Hi, I used to have 703s and htm7 - I did not like the htm7 and eventually sold it. 800 series has a 3-way center channel. 700 series does not. Loved 703s though.

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

I would go with the 804's for two reasons.
      1. I think they sound better. The hight frequencies will be better with the separate tweeter.
      2. You have two models in the center channel as opposed to one in the 700series range.

Enjoy.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

N804. Period.

Comment

• bullitt731
          • Aug 2005

804s it is boys, I was leaning that way but its always nice to get a 2nd opinion. Is there a preference for which center channel unit to get? Do you think a 1056 will push them until I can add a 1080?

Thanks, Ed

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

HTM2 is nice and will do the job....but NHTM1 is basically an 804 on its side. So, if you have the room and budget...NHTM1 is the way to go.

Comment

• bullitt731
              • Aug 2005

Are there any placement issues on either of these center speakers I need to be aware of? Can they go under or on top of the video un it?

Thanks, Ed

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

The 1056 will not be a long term solution. I had a 1055 w/ my 804's and they sounded strained. When I got a better amp, they opened right up.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Pez
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by bullitt731
                  Are there any placement issues on either of these center speakers I need to be aware of? Can they go under or on top of the video un it?

Thanks, Ed
                  IMO, the only placement issue is with the larger center channel in the series, its big and heavy. I cut a half inch sheet of plywood to match the top of TV and painted it black for better supprt for my HTM3S. My last center channel, a Paradigm CC-470, which is about 20 pounds lighter caused some bowing to my TV, didnt want it to get worse with the B&W. So far it seems to be working.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bullitt731
                    It seems that most people on this board place their center on top. I personally have found the bottom to work best, using the matching stand. The tweeter is highly directional due to its narrow dispersion pattern. With the speaker on top, I find that you lose dialog localization and there is a greater lack of timbre and balance across the front. With the speaker on bottom, I can angle the stand to one of three positions: 0, 4 and 8 degrees. This minimizes precedence effects and allows me far greater control when integrating the center with the rest of the channels.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

I love the 703's for music, but the "matching" center doesn't blend well with it so I'm not sure that I would have bought them for anything else than stereo...

Comment

• georgev
                        • Jul 2004

Place the center on a dedicated stand. Makes a noticable difference to the sound IMHO. If you haven't done so, try it. Audition the stand at home.
                        You also don't want to place the HTM1 on your TV.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"