X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marginwalker
    • Feb 2004

600 Series Setup - Amp Upgrade

My setup for HT & music is DM604/LCR600/DM602 Main/Center/Surrounds, with AS6 subwoofer.

My amplifiers are (3) stereo B&K ST-140's from late 80's/early 90's. Lately, I find myself wondering if I would do better with more power, and am thinking of going to a 5x200W product, also to get down to one chassis instead of 3 and add 12V trigger capability.

Is 105WPC enough with these speakers? Lots of people talk about how power-hungry the 700 & 800 series, but not so much 600 series. Am I likely to hear any benefits?
  • CarlosM
    • Feb 2004

MarginWalker:

I cant speak for the 604's, because I have 602's in the front w/ a hsu sub taking care of the bass, but i just finished home auditioning 2 Parasound amps -> HCA-750A (75 watts stereo), HCA-1500A (205 watts stereo), and could not defend the upgrades WHATSOEVER. I was severly shocked. I heard virtually 0 difference between the 750A and my Harman Kardon's AVR-230 power (65 watts stereo). I had Nordost interconnects and good enough wiring. For shits and giggles the store let me take home the larger 205 watt amp, and while there was a difference (vocals opened up, everything increased in clarity) there was no way i could justify $1000 for that small improvement. Mind you, I have a small room (16x11) and do not use listen at very loud levels. I'd have been better to trade in my 602's and go to the 700 series instead, than buy a new amp.

I suggest you home demo (with no/small penality for return) any amp, and try your best to A/B test them against your current setup and be objective.

Thanks to my testing, I have now put that amp money towards a new widescreen HDTV instead, where i will definetely enjoy a difference for my HT.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"