X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Verinnal
    • Mar 2005

Restaining from Cherry to Rosenut????

Has anyone successfully restained the veneer on their B&W speakers and gotten them to look like showroom condition?

I purchased B&W an HTM4S and two 804S in natural cherry and am in love with these speakers sonically but feel that I made the wrong choice when picking the color. Now that we're redocorating our second floor I'm pretty much going to have a media room to decorate at my whim and would definitly have preferred going with the Rosenut finish.

I don't want to try and sell these and take a huge hit just to buy the ones i want in the right color. Especially since these only have about 40 hours on them. I figured I'd try and stain them or find someone that specializes in woodstaining and have him do it. Any opinions or other ideas?

I've had the speakers for about 3 months (Maybe 4) so I don't think there is any reasonable chance of the shop exchanging them.

Just curious
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

I dunno. changing the color by staining. This would definitely affect resale. If you don't care about resale go ahead. Usually a shop would take back almost new speakers but you would take a hit still.

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

Talk to your dealer. If that doesn't work, get used to the color you purchased.

Comment

• mr_m687
        • May 2005

The only way you could restain is by sanding the entire speaker down so it's completely flat. It wouldn't have the texture of the woodgrain anymore. No way I would even think of doing it. Your best bet would be to find someone that has the Rosenut and would be willing to trade. You could wait until a used pair is for sale buy them then sell yours for the price you paid for the used ones. By the way I have the 804S in Rosenut and they do look great sorry no trade.

Comment

• greggz
          • Jun 2002

No problem. A little rosenut contact paper and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Actually in all seriousness, DO NOT attempt to sand and re-stain your speakers. The wood veneer on them is paper thin. The only way to get a different color would be to remove all the drivers and electronics, take the cabinets to a furniture re-finisher. They would remove the existing veneers and re-veneer them.

Oh, and your warranty...
          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Verinnal
            • Mar 2005

I had a feeling that there was no good way to do this. I'll contact my dealer and see what they have to say but i highly doubt anything will come of it. I don't dislike the cherry veneer at all. I would just much rather have the rosenut finish. I guess hindsight is 20/20. Good point about the warranty.

Comment

• Pieter
              • Jan 2005

Like that last pic touch of your's Gregg.

Comment

• xk8boy
                • Jul 2005

Verinnal, talk to your dealer and opt for an upgrade like to a 803S . you should get decent value for your money then, especially if then are near new.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                  • Jan 2005

I have had really good luck with my dealer taking back used equipment, Hopefully you will have the same experience.... But in the mean time, be calm, take a deep breath, find a happy place, and drop the sandpaper!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"