X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

When is everything OK ?

When is everything OK. We have a great system. Then we buy a better pair of speakers (upgrade). We need to pay "catch up" because with the better speakers we think we need a better amp. Then a better cd and so on and so on. There must be a point when everything is OK and we are satisifed ? No

The Sky is almost the limit on where you can go, so somewhere along the ride the view has to be just fine. Where is that ? Aren't the differences we audiofiles hear, actually relatively small, and most normal people don't even hear them. So is the route we are searching for perfection nirvana actually unreachable. Or can we sit back and relax and enjoy the music.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

misterdoggy, that's a big question. Next you'll be asking "what is the meaning of life?" (It's 42 if you didn't know already).

There is no end point. There will always be room for improvement. Companies like B&W will make sure of that.

Of course one's obsession with hi-fi could always be usurped by another obsession.

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
      When is everything OK. ... There must be a point when everything is OK and we are satisifed ? No
      Well my friend, that is entirely up to YOU!

That is an highly subjective (usually audible limits) and individual choice (usually financial limits). Only you can decide when you are satisfied.

I caution you though as care must be taken in your pursuit. If you are chasing someone elses idea of nirvana, then you'll never reach your own. 8)
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Pieter
        • Jan 2005

So is the route we are searching for perfection nirvana actually unreachable.
        My take; yes. Worse than a dog chasing its own tail.

Our succeptibilty lies in missunderstanding or not accepting the nature of the inverse exponential, i.e. logarithmic function which is inherent in most pursuits, not excluding Hi-Fi.
        Or can we sit back and relax and enjoy the music.
        This should happen right from day one, but is entirely subject to an individual's whim. It ought to happen whether you're listening to the music on a clock radio or some super-duper system.

It's easy to become a Hi-Fi snob...

I'm not saying that one should be satisfied with "mediocre" sound, but that one curtail one's "critical" listening facility at times and let the music, not the system, do its thing.

You'd be surprised at what your brain can filter out. It's responsible for creating the illusion in the first place.

Must add that I'm exceedingly grateful to those for whom the inching up the logarithmic curve is part and parcel of their make-up. They create our toys and bring us closer to the music. But we'll never be THERE.

Comment

• xk8boy
          • Jul 2005

I think its just human nature, to want what we dont have. Though, judging by some ppl posts, there are some who have what the want.

However I feel, that whose who chasing for perfection will often forget the reason why they do it. Mainly, to enjoy and be entertained by music they love.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Did you ever have a dream setup? I've own about 6-7 different sets of speakers in my life, but when I was at about my 3rd set I heard the speakers that to me sounded absolutely perfect, the Nautilus 800. I didn't even know what B&W was at the time but I looked them up, realized I could not afford a pair of speakers that cost just as much as a car, and made that my goal. I've been building up my system little by little. Early this year I just crossed into the 800 series. My next purchase will a sub, then in a few months when I've saved enough in my 'Toy Account' (the smartest thing I've ever done! lol) I will probably purchase a used HTM1, a set of DSM6 for surrounds, and I'll be done for the time being until I can afford the 800. I know that will be it for me because that's my dream set up, you know. If you have not heard a setup that you genuinely have said 'that's what I really want!' then you're in trouble cause this audio world is going to be a never ending ladder for you.

Did I talk too much? lol
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• xk8boy
              • Jul 2005

Yeah, i think everyone has a dream setup, only if I have matching dream wallet too.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Well, no. I'm not saying go out an purchase it now. I'm talking about a realistic goal, not a $200k system. But you asked when is everything ok. You said you have a great system but then want to upgrade something else. If you have a dream setup, then you know what steps you need to take to achieve your goal system. I love my setup right now. And like I said, I want to add my sub, and then my surrounds. After I do that I only have two things I would upgrade, my DVD player, and maybe a multi-channel amp. I have no reason to change my speakers cause my dream speakers are in the same series, so it benefits me to keep it all until I can change my last part. So if you have a dream set up, you don't need to keep upgrading your system just because, but instead have a real goal and take it little by little. You know?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  After I do that I only have two things I would upgrade, my DVD player, and maybe a multi-channel amp.

So if you have a dream set up, you don't need to keep upgrading your system just because, but instead have a real goal and take it little by little. You know?
                  Audioqueso. You haven't gotten there so you can't say yet. You seem to think that when you "achieve" your goal you will be satified. Good Luck :T

Its just human nature to arrive at a new 'height' and when you get there, you think, well I can even do better.
                  :conveyer:

Comment

• csuzor
                    • Nov 2004

Everything is OK when you start thinking about spending your next savings on something else. I'm not there yet, I want to upgrade my source and screen. After that, I'll be looking into a new car or getting a boat. At that point I'll know my HiFi is OK.

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by csuzor
                      Everything is OK when you start thinking about spending your next savings on something else.
                      lol so very true!
                      I use to spend a lot on my toy car, my Mustang. Don't have that car and all of a sudden fine more money for my stereo. I want a toy car again but I want to find a good stopping point in my stereo before I get another car cause then I know I'll be throwing my money into the car and still want to change some things with my stereo setup.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                        • Jan 2005

I knew my setup was ok when my Visa card exploded. Luckly nobody was hurt.

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Id love to upgrade my N804's to either N802 or 803s's. Anyone want to buy my N804's? heh. that would make me happy until HD-DVD/BR-DVD & DD+ & DTSHD come out.
                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• xk8boy
                            • Jul 2005

Audioquest, you question when is everything ok?", to that my answer to you is that there will never be one! I know thats tough, but think about it. Once you reached that magical 99% "musicality" you're going to wish for that extra 1%.

To me, the word "system" means the "whole thing". For Hi-Fi, that doesnt just include the components sitting on the floor or in racks/shelves, its also going to mean how sounds interacts with its sounding. You're going to want acoustic treatements and when thats done, then you going to want build a brand new home just for the purpose. Is that going to the extreme, properly, and will out for reach for the 99.99999..% of the population.

To that, I say, be happy with what you have, sit back and just enjoy.

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

HEY XK8BOY!!! It's audioqueso. With an O. You o-fend me.
                              lol jk
                              I didn't ask the original question though. That was misterdoggy.

Comment

• xk8boy
                                • Jul 2005

whoops, apologies mr. audioqueso. hope you can find it your heart to forgive me! hehe.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"