X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

I See The Light!!...Interconnects!

Hopefully this thread wont spark too intense a debate but I am going to mention both cables/interconnects and "warm" sounding speakers...

Tongiht I changed my interconnects to some nice red flat ones. The results were incredible! These IC's are known for being very revealing and I can definitely attest to this attribute but what surprised me was how they also smoothed everything out. There were no longer "Spikes" in the music that I think contributed to my ears hurting after listening to my 805s for as little as 30 minutes. The only way I can describe it is that it felt as if the notes were covered in silk...they all blended together in a manner that felt so natural. I would even dare to say that the music sounded "warmer" to me, yet at the same time very detailed. Now I am thinking about upgrading my existing blue flat speaker cables to red ones...The serach for music nirvana continues!

I am a firm believer that cables and ICs make a difference but I also believe in the law of diminishing returns. At some point the increased cost is not worth the small incremental increase in sound quality. I do have a mental limit that I would not spend more than for cables/ICs. These fall out of that range for sure but I was able to get them very cheap through a buddy who is a custom AV installer.

Anyway, I am very happy with these new ICs and my 805S, rb1080 setup.
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Yup I had the same experience. Changed from Blues to Reds Brand X and I had new details emerging from pieces I already knew. I'm a firm believer that IC are the first step where you will see more, then speaker wire for the rest. IMHO, I figure 10% of the total investment must go to cables. $40000 system = $4000 cables,
    $20000 system = $2000 cables.

That's ALL cabling, speaker wire, Interconnects, and all the others ie: video component, composite, jacks, plugs, electric etc.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Hi,

I've "seen the light" about three years ago and now have about 3 times as many cables as I can use.... The Flat Red ones are very nice (but a silly price in Aussie). The best value two cables I have (by miles) are made by the forum sponsor CatCables - their pure silver KingCat (I took the silver LOK RCA option) and the pure silver Digital Coax... Amazing... At my local exotic audio store it took some very expensive top of the line flat red cables to equal the silver KingCats (many times the price).

I am amazed hoiw different two cables can sound - I have done many comparisons (including blind with my long suffering wife and sone being the listeners while I swapped) An IC can make sound smother, harder, grainer, brighter, more bass, less bass - very strange. Even the most enthusiatic people can only come up with potential measurable differences in the order of 0.1% yet sometimes the difference (for the ear) seem way more than this... The differences can be subtle or with some cables very clear indeed... Even my wife now humours the money I spend on them since she can hear the difference... But I have way too many...

Geoff

Comment

• Pieter
        • Jan 2005

Red does have a longer wavelength than blue, making it easier for the cable to straddle those spikey notes and hence smoothing out the upper response.

Just thinking out aloud...

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
          Hi,

The best value two cables I have (by miles) are made by the forum sponsor CatCables - their pure silver KingCat (I took the silver LOK RCA option) and the pure silver Digital Coax... Amazing... At my local exotic audio store it took some very expensive top of the line flat red cables to equal the silver KingCats (many times the price).

Geoff

Pure Silver Coax digital goes under which name. Is it the top of the line ?

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

Pieter, thanks for the info. In that case I am definitely going to try the red flat ones. I will be buying a DVD player soon and I am going to seriously look at Cat cables.

Comment

• Pieter
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
              Pieter, thanks for the info. In that case I am definitely going to try the red flat ones.
              Please don't, I was jesting.
              Originally posted by tboooe
              I will be buying a DVD player soon and I am going to seriously look at Cat cables.
              Yes, do so.

Comment

• ironchef
                • Feb 2005

You may find, as I did, that the major changes effected by the ICs are not as major with the speaker cable. The IC really seemed to make the largest single improvement...

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Misterdoggy,
                  Originally posted by misterdoggy
                  Pure Silver Coax digital goes under which name. Is it the top of the line ?
                  They are not on the web site - Doug only does them by special order - Email him and ask

Geoff

Comment

• Ash
                    • Dec 2004

Hi guys,

what is red flat or blue? Cause I'm lost here, is it a special kind of IC?

Thanks

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

hi ash...this was my sad attempt at not violating the forum rules regarding the mentioning of other speaker types. PM me and I let you in on my "secret" code

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                        Misterdoggy,
                        They are not on the web site - Doug only does them by special order - Email him and ask

Geoff
                        Geoff,

Ahhhh Voila ! I will ask him about it sounds interesting. I've been only using the "flat" guys, but am open to something else.

Thanks Down under

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                          • Jan 2005

I appreciate the forum sponser's interest, but I find it ridiculous to limit conversation on relevant topics.

Comment

• Andorian
                            • Jun 2005

Hi All,

which one do you mean, brand X bleu and red, help me out,
                            in a discrete way as indicated,
                            sent me a link, in a PM or so,
                            thanks , Andor.

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Actually, Jetflyguy, in the specialty clubs, management and moderators decide what is relevent. We've straightforward as can be said, that Club B & W is about B & W, just as we have about Rotel in Club Rotel.

Whether interconnects, subs, whatever we will always strive to keep clubs on topic.

Misterdoggy, we can talk when you want.

Doug
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"