• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Silver KingCats and all is right again!

Hi,

For those of you that followed the long running Sliver Digital Coax thread HERE there was some consternation (by myself and others) that with the RCD-1072 into the RSP-1098 I found it sounded better with the Silver Digital Coax than with my $200 Analog RCA... We all knew that the RSP-1098 had good DACs but beating a award winning dedicated CD player on CD only playing...

Anyway I maxed out the credit card and ordered 9 of Lex's finest Silver Kingcats, with the same LOK Silverpoint ends as the Silver Digital Coax for a total end to end Silver connection. 2 cables for the CD and 7 from the RSP-1098 to the amps... (Replacing Van Del Hul 102 III Hybrid Silver / Carbon / Copper cables)

A little 5 week round the world business trip got in the way of my installing these cables. However I've been back for a couple of weeks now and had the time to install them and do some comparative listening...

Bottom line with the benefit of the Silver KingCats between the RSP-1098 and the Amps, and the Silver Kingcats between the RCD-1072 and the RSP-1098, Analog from the RCD-1072 for stereo bypass listening is now clearly even better than the Silver Digital... Tonally they are very similar (silver digital and analog) however there is a fine but exciting layer of extra detail, realism and "air" over all the sound spectrum, further opening up the sound stage... It's instantly noticeable on good material.

As soon as I engage any of the sound processing modes, this advantage goes away and I prefer the pure digital (clealry a small loss of quality when the analog signal is redigitised). So now I have two CD devices set up on my RSP-1098, one for Analog stereo listening, and the other for Pro-Logic II: Music etc, or when I want the subwoofer to boogie...... Both are great!

PS – Everything else has also been improved by the KingCats between the RSP-1098 and the Amplifiers – I now have way more detail from all sources and what I refer to as “Oh my god” bass – which is so tight, deep and defined it is scary! The extra level of detail is such that it is as if I have upgraded to new speakers... And I have no idea where the bass change comes from - the levels are the same but it now sounds scary!

PPS – An all Kingcat exercise wasn’t cheap the 9 cables cost me as much as my lovely RB-1080 – but it was definitely worth it!!!

Geoff
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff

PPS – An all Kingcat exercise wasn’t cheap the 9 cables cost me as much as my lovely RB-1080 – but it was definitely worth it!!!

Geoff
    I have enjoyed following this and related threads. Thanks very much Geoff!!

I have just purchased and RB1080 and don't know when, if ever, I am going to be able to afford King Cat interconnects. What I do know is the combination RSP1098, RMB1075, and RB 1080 gives one superlative listening experience.

Just one question now - when does it all stop and when will I be able to settledown and say I am happy with my HT? (ie does the money drain ever stop?)

Trevor

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
      • Oct 2003

I don't think it ever ends......................DOE'S IT 8)

Comment

• NHT
        • Mar 2004

Aussie Geoff...I planned that my next upgrade in components was going to be the much acclaimed Rotel 1072. Judging from review, should I upgrade elsewhere? I have a silver digital coax on order along with a pair of Dougs new Quantum Supernova interconnects. I have a 1098(which I am very also very happy with) with a 1095. Would upgrading to the 1072 as a cd player not worthwhile in regards to sonic improvements?

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

Geoff, it sounds like the analog signal was perfection! I guess it evryone's preference, but I have debated over Doug's silver coax because of the DAC's in each piece. Which is a better DAC, i thought? Maybe the Kingcats are the way to go.....such a difficult decision.

PS- hope we don't turn this to cable talk in club rotel.

Erik

Comment

• wjfranke
            • Oct 2004

So I suppose the ideal situation would be to use the silver analogs between the 1072 and 1098, and then use the silver digi between the 1098 and whatever DVD player is being used.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

NHT,

I'd definitely get tge RCD-1072 if that is what you were planning - cables don't improve sound - they just (as they get better) let more and more of the quality of the material and equipment shine through - so if you like CDs (like me) the 1072 is a bargain (and loooks great with the rest of your Rotel gear)!

WJFrankie,

The Silver KingCats and Silver Digital certainly did the trick for me...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"