How far do you have them from the back wall?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_m687
    • May 2005

How far do you have them from the back wall?

I'm wondering how far everyone has their speakers from the back wall? By this
    I mean from the back of the speaker to the wall. My room has a 6 inch ledge around it that is just above the top of my 804S. I currently have them 16 inches from the outside of the ledge or a total of 22 inches from the interior wall. I just can't seem to get any good bass out of them they sound better if I move them in a couple of inches but that's getting close to the back wall and can sound muddy on some tracks. What can I do my room is 15' by 24'. Thanks to those that reply.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

4.5'

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mr_m687
      I'm wondering how far everyone has their speakers from the back wall? By this
      I mean from the back of the speaker to the wall. Thanks to those that reply.
      In general, all measurements should be made from the center of the DRIVERS, not the back of the speaker. I've got mine 40" from the sidewalls. Using the rule of a minimum of 1.3 ratios, I've got the front of the bass driver 52" from the back wall.

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

N804
        Measured from the center of the driver: app 1,5 foot from the sidewalls, 2 feet from the back wall, toed in a bit...
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• js24
          • Feb 2005

closer you position any speakers to the back wall, the more bass you will get
          since we all live in different places, there cannot be one rule for positioining speakers...

the right positioning test:
          have your spouse/friend/mom/whoever sit on the sweet spot. starting from the back wall you walk into the center of the room as keep saying stuff... if you are right against the wall your voice will sound thick and heavy yet lack some clarity (i.e. veiled), as you walk in your voice will sound clearer but thinner... i.e. if you are in the middle of the room.. your voice will sound thinnest. so pick the the place where you have the *right* combo of "bass" and "clarity"
          good luck
          Last edited by js24; 21 July 2005, 13:05 Thursday. Reason: typo

Comment

• mr_m687
            • May 2005

Thanks guys I think I finally figured it out. I have been measuring from the back of the speakers not the front. B&W said to have them at least 20 inches from the back wall so i kept them out. After moving them closer to the back wall they are sounding a whole lot better. Actually they are producing some good bass for a small speaker. The funny thing is I only moved them about 2.5 inches back and that made a huge difference. What I don't understand is if B&W says at least 20 inches from the back wall and you measure from the front of the speaker if your box is around 20 inches deep does this mean you could have them right up next to the wall? Confusing if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"