X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jester race
    • Jul 2005

803S powered by Rotel RB 1080

From this forum and others I have been informed that B&W's need a lot of power to drive them efficiently so my question is the RB 1080(200watts) enough to drive 803S.
  • jester race
    • Jul 2005

Sorry did not think the thread came through the first time.
    Can someone please delete it? thank you !

Comment

• wca156
      • Jun 2005

I sincerely hope so. I am having my 803S speakers, with a RMB-1075 (120 watts) and a RSP-1068 pre-amp/processor delivered on Wednesday.
      Bill

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Yes, but with caution.

I have both and while the RB-1080 will drive 803Ss it does have it limits. By limits, I am referring to how quickly distortion starts to set in. The more dynamic the source and the higher the volume the higher the demands the 803Ss are going to put on the RB-1080.

The B&W 800 series (old and new) are very demanding. They bottom out around 3.0 ohms impedence! Although they publish 8.0 ohm nominal impedence it is actually more like 6.0 ohms in practice.

However, while the RB-1080 is conservatively rated for "only" 200 watts it will actually deliver around 315 watts before hitting 1% THD into an 8.0 ohm load and around 550 watts into an 4.0 ohm load!

So yes, the RB-1080 will drive the 803Ss, just be careful that you don't crank it up too far.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"