X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Too much power for the 805S?

Hi, I am wondering what amp I should get for my new 805S? I have read that some people are using the RB1080 or RMB1095 which puts out 200w per channel. Maybe I am missing something but isnt the 805S only rated for 50-120W? Below is from the B&W website.

Power Handling 50W - 120W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

If this is the case then I should get the rb1070 or RMB1075 right?

Please enlighten me. Thank you.
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

As long as you're not running them at max. volume for hours on end, the 805s are fine with amps putting out 200 + wpc. Some here (not me) would insist that B&W 800S series speakers demand high power output.

Comment

• Boone38
      • Dec 2004

I would agree, as I have the N805Ss and am running them with the Rotel 1068/1075 combo. That amp can drive the speakers as load as I want to go. But you do have to be careful to not over drive. Use the 1075 as the sound is awsome and a wonderful set up. Good Luck

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

Thanks for the input guys. After speaking with some B&W dealers, I am going to go with the 1080. They assured me that I wont blow up the 805s but I need to be careful if I start hearing some distortion. I honestly think that I would have to play my music pretty loud before I get distortion.

I am interested in more power only to get the best out of the 805s at my preferred listening level (which is far below ear bleeding levels but probably above normal levels, maybe concert levels?).

Comment

• caleb
          • Aug 2004

Much better to have an amp "over rated" than under rated for your B&W's - just like a car - you don't have to drive yours at 200KpH even though it may be capable of it, but nice to have when you need it.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"