X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrightie
    • Apr 2005

Bannana plug connections

Hi,

Got 703's, saving for 705's for rears & still not decided on the centre yet (Any advice welcome). Anyway. I've got a custom install & have 4mm bannana plugs for the wall sockets & biwire cable for the speakers.

Question: Will the 4mm plugs fit into the back connectors of the speakers?

My speakers aren't here or I'd just try them out myself.

Finally, as I don't know the score (Newbie!) with this forum, can I ask a question as to the best amplifier to stick onto my AV Amp for the B & W speaker setup. I have about £1000 put aside for the amp. I would like to bi wire all five speakers to individual plugs on the amp.

If I can't ask the question here, apologies. Where's the best place to ask??

Regards.

Wrightie
  • martino
    • Aug 2004

Cant answer all your questions...Yes the bananas will fit...i thought they were illegal in the UK??
    The natural center should be the HTM7? or whatever they call the 7 series ctr...good stuff btw...i just tradeed in 704's.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

• Wrightie
      • Apr 2005

Thanks Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. Wow. I've never heard of the 4mm Bananna's being illegal. They sell them freely over here & the electrician I have working on the house hasn't said squat.

Can you clarify the comment.

Cheers for the other info.

Wrightie :T

Comment

• martino
        • Aug 2004

Sorry it took awhile to get back...i'm only basing my 'illegal" comment om what i see in the owners manuals here in the US..there is always a disclaimer on how bananas are not legal or unsafe in europe...please don't take my word as gospel...ask you people

Cheers

Martin

Comment

• Kens1
          • Mar 2005

Would it have someting to do with the different volts? Banana plugs seem like the would be a safe choice from a connection point of view.

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Banana plugs don't fit in your europeen main power sockets (240VAC or whatever)? If so, a kid playing around could with them could get hurt or cause damage big time

Comment

• martino
              • Aug 2004

Yea; it has something to do with 4mm plugs fitting into some power outlit in some european country.

Please control your banana!!!!

Martin

Comment

• Wrightie
                • Apr 2005

Bannana Control

Thanks for the help guys

It seems that I'm going to use bannana connections as I have some of the best bannana control safety measures in place throughout the whole house.

I.E. I don't have, don't want, don't ever want ANY ankle biters, Ever, Never, Ever. Even if guests bring rug rats AFTER explicit instructions to the contrary, I have a perfectly good garage they can play in.

So my Arcam Amp & DVD player, my B & W 705's, 703's and whatever else I decide to spend my money on will be safe for years to come, and what makes this deal even more sweet, is the fact is my wife agrees with me.

What more can a man ask for........... A Hidef projector & screen is what, anybody want to sponsor me one. I won't have kids for at least twenty years & I get corporate sponsorship to support it.... Any takers???? :W

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I live in France7Europe and banana plugs are legal. Banana plugs are only for speaker wire, so why would they be illegal. ?

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

misterdoggy, I've read they're illegal in some countries because they fit nicely into mains power sockets. They'll make nails and paperclips illegal next.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Yeah, come to think of it they would easily go into the round sockets in France. Its possible someone could confuse them. Interesting

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                        • Jan 2005

Banana plugs are not illegal, however speaker manufacturers have been compelled to place plastic 'safety plugs' into the connectors before the product ships to the consumer. The idea here is that by placing an extra step in the process of making the connection that a youngster will not inadvertantly connect the speaker directly to the mains. The plugs are easy to get out once you realise what they are there for.

As for the amp, I am using a Classe' CA-5200, and have been very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"