X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

My New 800Ds Just Arrived and...

I arrived home today from a buisness trip all excited since my 800Ds were delivered while I was out of town... I had the dealer put them in place but not hook them up. I get home today ready for audio bliss... I hook up the system and start to listen to a couple CDs... Something wasn't right... I thought the bass was to much for my room... It turns out the right speaker bottom woofer is BLOWN.... I can't believe it a $20K speaker.... I talked to the dealer and he tells me he will order a new woofer asap. I don't think I want to send these back because everything else looks great. I remember someone else on this forum had a similar situation and the second pair wood grain wasn't as good. SO my question is... Is this a major repair? Should I be worried about having it fixed locally by my dealer? Or, is this an easy repair and I shouldn't worry?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It should be an decently easy repair I would think...

Besides, if he doesn't do it right, tell him you don't want them or want another set. It's your right.

Make sure you get some pics posted up so we can see them! :T
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

I replaced a woofer from an 802, the hardest problem was getting the speaker out since it is 'sealed' with a foam gasket against the cabinet. So, it has a tendency to stick. A quick pry-bar effect and it came out....

Assuming your dealer has done this before, it should be ok. Assuming he takes his time and doesn't force anything.

I would have no problem replacing the woofers, but I would never attempt the midrange or tweeter.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
        • Mar 2005

Pictures

Not sure I can get the pictures to post (haven't done it before) Here are some pictures I used the attachment feature.
        Attached Files

Comment

• jahlion
          • Feb 2005

Wow! Those look awsome! Shame about the woofer though. Have you been using the one good speaker?

Comment

• Jason R
            • Jul 2004

After spending that kind of money i would not acccept a repair mostly because i would know it had been repaired and always look or listen for something, perhaps a bit to much adhesive sticking out or a small nick on the laminate, it would always play on my mind. Send them back, these kind of speakers are an investment and should not be repaired before being used, you are going to get many years of enjoyment from them so another few weeks would not be the end of the world.

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

I agree with Jason - send them back for $20k you are not paying for repaired goods but 100% working out the box. I cannot understand how the driver could blow in the box without use... B&W do their own testing on every speaker produced and surely this would have been picked up then ... really wierd and it would be good to hear what B&W say about this type of thing ... its the type of thing you are paying up for to avoid.

It seems it is not uncommon for B&W drivers to pop...

By the way great amps there I assume monoblocks ... what are they ? Really look the part.

Rgds Steve

Comment

• ti33er
                • Apr 2004

I would also send them back, those are absolute luxury items - would you accept a new Farrari that had been dropped off the back of the transporter and needed repairs before you had even driven it? Your speakers are now "B" grade...something to think about!

PS. They are awesome though, so is that HDTV!
                "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

???

We're talking what, 8 hex head bolts, 8 screws...it's just a driver?!?! As long as everything else is fine I wouldn't bother with the hastle of exchanging them. But that's just me...

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                    • Mar 2005

I have been listening to the one good one. Sound is great (from one).... I think I am with junior77blue. I'll let the dealr fix them and see if it's like new... Took me a month to get these, and as I mentiond I remember a previous poster that reordered and didn't like the look of the second pair (he stated he wish he had fixed the original one since it had better grain in the wood.) I'll let you guys know how it goes. Someone on another forum told me it coud just be the spade is loose from the trasportation.

Comment

• junior77blue
                      • Nov 2004

It's very possible it could be a loose connection, or just a defective speaker. B&W do not solder the speaker connections (at least no on my N802s) its just a friction fitting. As long as the dealer is taking care of things and doesn't mess it up in the process, i.e. putting a gash in the speaker. Then you have nothing to worry about.

I would make sure he replaces the gasket (assuming there is one to begin with) to ensure an airtight seal.

Comment

• tmt
                        • Jan 2005

Stevebez , those are Classe CAM-350 monoblocks. I almost bought 2 of those (but in the end stuck with a CA-401)

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                          • Mar 2005

Stevebez;

They are Classe CAM 350's... Also running the new Delta series CP500 as the stereo preamp.

Comment

• caleb
                            • Aug 2004

I agree that it could just be a connection not right.
                            IMHO, replacing the driver should be a relatively easy job, and the foam gasket should not have bedded in in this new speaker so getting the old one out should not be too difficult.

However, it makes you wonder about the QC at B&W - perhaps they are just rushing to get the new line out of the factory??

Your set up however looks awesome.

Good Luck

Comment

• KenK
                              • Mar 2005

If B&W matches theirs dirvers in pair, then I would get a new pair of speakers. It is your rights.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                • Nov 2004

B&W makes all their drivers 'equal' no? Does someone have other info saying otherwise?

The cabinents are matched due to wood grain.

Comment

• KenK
                                  • Mar 2005

This is the email from B&W

"Thank you for your interest in B&W! B&W maintains tight tolerances on
                                  all of our current model speaker components, so that individual drive unit
                                  matching is not necessary for our speakers as they are all maintained
                                  within tight specification of each other.

Best Regards,
                                  Michael Sheehan"

So matching is not necessary.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                    • Mar 2005

You guys are great... Thanks for all the guidance.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

Like I said, if they repair it well, it's quick and simple and sort of the no harm no fowl. If you bought the ferarri (well SRT-10 Viper in this case ha ha) and pulling out of the lot got a flat tire, would you get a whole new car? No they'd replace the tire. Sort of the same thing there.

As long as it's done right, you can't tell it's been replaced (or reconnected if the connection is just loose), then why wait for a new pair. I know it sucks, but things in life are upredictable. Once this is replaced, he might not have another problem with them ever. Hopefully it's a slight speed bump to pure audio listening bliss. Heck, if I could have a car that would give me a problem right off the bat, then NEVER have another problem, I'd take it!

However, if it's not to your liking, if there is ANYTHING you don't like when it's replaced (from asthetics to sound performance), return them and get a new set. That's your right.

The only thing B&W does match is the the wood grains, the drivers are all to within certain specs when produced so there shouldn't be any "noticeable" difference.

Also, B&W pushes their speakers to their safe max listening levels as a "stress/listening performance" test before they head out the door. So they had to have worked when leaving the factory. If you have the B&W 800 Series DVD they tell ya that.
                                      -Dan

Comment

• DrBoom
                                        • Dec 2003

When I visited the B&W factory 2 years ago, I got to see how critical they are about driver matching.
                                        I remember the tweeters for the 600 series were matched to a 1% tolerance from a reference model.
                                        So they compare every tweeter to that reference model, and if it deviates more than 1% it's not accepted.
                                        And that's just the 600 series, i don't know if the tolerance is smaller for the 800 series, but 1% would still be pretty good i think ?
                                        The same goes for every aspect in the entire production process, like checking for air leaks in the cabinet, veneer inspection, and many more things.

Comment

• Hootlehead
                                          • Mar 2005

I'd suspect shipping damage before questioning B&W QC

While ordering my N802s recently, the dealer showed me a new pair of 802Ds that just arrived with one tweeter broken to pieces. It was so obvious that I can not believe anyone would ship an item like that. The pond gets mighty rough ...

Comment

• jahlion
                                            • Feb 2005

My local dealer finally got the 800D's in. Holy Crap! I took a stack of clean crisp $100 bills with me to help negotiate a price on the 802D's. They need to run it by the boss first, I should know if I'm getting them in a few days. Of course I'll be posting here when the deal is done...

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                              • Mar 2005

Update: I had my dealer repair the 800Ds... They sound great (now)... I watched him due the replacement. It was very easy. Even pulling out the woofer looked like a breeze. I am glad I didn't send this back and get new ones since this was a minor repair and the finish on these are great.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Thats great to hear!
                                                Nice setup!

But now, with more important things... That SRT-10 of yours...
                                                Id love to race one down the 1/4 for fun!
                                                B&W

Comment

• scottielee
                                                  • Apr 2005

just want to share my experience with b&w customer service:

when i purchased my signature 805 in 11/03, one of the monitor was making a rattling sound, as if something was loose in the cabinet. i exchanged for a new pair from my dealer, no problem. one whole year later, i found a small but noticeable crack in the lacquer on the face of one speaker, behind the grille. i rarely took the grille off, so i don't think i could have cracked it. i first talked to my dealer, they kind of blew me off for a month. then i sent an email to b&w via their website. b&w immediately contacted my dealer and asked to bring my speaker to my dealer, who later sent it to b&w's us service center. 2 months after i first notified my dealer about the crack, b&w had them exchanged my second pair for a new third pair. the third and current pair is perfect, but missing one accessory packet...

i must admit i am very anal about belongings that i treasure, almost to the point that i am unreasonable. but there seems to be some quality control issues at b&w. however, b&w's superb customer service makes it all worth while.

congrats SRT-10 Viper!
                                                  scottie

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                    • Mar 2005

Scottielee... Persistance payed off for you. Race Car Driver, what does your car run in the 1/4 ?

Comment

• js24
                                                      • Feb 2005

fast and furious anyone? :driving:

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                        • Nov 2004

Race Car Driver told me if I remember correctly he's running high 11s.
                                                        Last edited by PewterTA; 01 May 2005, 09:56 Sunday.
                                                        -Dan

Comment

• JCL
                                                          • Apr 2005

You really own the car?! Cool, pics?

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                                            • Mar 2005

JCL; If you question is to me, yes I own a 2004 Viper... Great car. I have several modification (Paxton S/C, headers, heads...) best times I've run are in the high tens. The problem is traction... To get any faster, I'd have to run slics.

Comment

• JCL
                                                              • Apr 2005

Cool! That is a serieus car, i saw one at the "Auto Rai" It's a big show near Amsterdam (you know, the place with the hookers en drugs) Must say I liked the Enzo better but hell, you can't havi it all right?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

My car ran 12.5 last month, but its good for low 12s/hi 11s on the stock turbo, not near as fast as that blown viper! A stock one Id stand a chance.. depending on how good of a driver they are.

11s are to come. its close now, but as with SRT-10, traction hurts! Especially with a FWD.

But back on topic. Congrats on the VERY NICE system!
                                                                B&W

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"