X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tannista
    • Jun 2005

help upgrading my aging 302's

Hello all,

Well I am finally upgrading my old DM302's. I have about 400$ to spend on this and so I am looking at the 600 series. I have an older Nakamichi AV8 amp, and my room is about 10x12. I was planning on building this into a HT system with about 60/40 movies to music, where I listen to mostly blues and jazz.

I was planning on using the 302's as rear speakers, and getting either the 601's or 600 for my mains, but I have a couple of questions. Will my Nak drive the 600 series well enough? If I am planning on using a SW does it make sense to spend the extra bucks on the 601's or will the 600's suffice? Will the 302's sound odd as rears when matched with the newer 600's?

As a side note, I probably won't be able to get the SW for about a year, funds being rather tight...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
  • anamorphic96
    • Apr 2005

I would say go with the 601's. The tend to sound fuller with better bass than the 600's. The Nakamichi unit your are using will be just fine.

With the B&W's being pretty efficient and the small room your in it requires very little power to get good volume.

Comment

• alkalay
      • Jun 2004

Hi tannista.

I think the 601 is a better speaker and a better value for the money spent, than the 600 regardless the use of a sub.

If you can just go and have a listen to them both so you'd be the judge of that.

Itai.
      Last edited by alkalay; 01 June 2005, 16:35 Wednesday. Reason: typo

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

I'd say get keep the money in your pocket a little longer and get the DM602 S3, which are, IMHO, the sweetspot of the 600 series (or you could search on the second hand market). I consider the 602's to be a major step up from the 601's and since you won't be having a sub for a while, the added bassperformance is also more than welcome...

About the 302's sounding odd... Well you're not the only one who is 'missmatching' his (/her) rears. Don't worry about that for now. Considering the fact you already have the 302's as rears, I'd finish the frontstage first, than the sub and finally the rears.

Good luck, enjoy and keep us informed!

ps: I'd skip the DM600 S3's... They're better suited as alarmclock speakers... :lol:
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"