X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

How do you positon your front speakers?

I have 800Ds for my front speakers... I had the dealer place them where he thought was the best place. He placed them with a very small toe in. The sound stage was very wide however I thought the stage was a litle too wide for me (sound became confusing, again to me). I have read on the B&W site that you should have the speakers pointed directly at you or in front of you. I've also read on another site you should place them so they point at an imaginary spot 6 feet behind were you sit.

How have positioned your front speakers?

PS: I sit back from the speakers 12 feet and they are spaced 10 feet apart.
    Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 30 May 2005, 08:20 Monday. Reason: add info
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Hi, you may get as many different responses, as responses to this question, beware!
    So i'll go first:
    For stereo, very little toe-in, to increase the soundstage which was too small when pointing directly at me. But I am not a serious stereo fan nowadays.
    For multichannel, a little more toe-in (pointing 6-feet behind me is probably accurate), because the soundstage is aided by the other speakers (I use -80/-30/0/30/80 degree speaker positions)

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

I have my N802's toed in just slightly, I dont like when they're pointing straight at me, sounds to direct. Pointing them in front of you is to give listeners not in sweetspot better focus. There is a lot to win by experimenting with this, small adjustments can make really big differences.

Comment

• aphexist
        • Jan 2004

Some of my generalizations I use for stereo speaker setup.

Spacing:
        Tweeters 8 feet apart from each other and cabinets 2 feet from side and back walls.

Placement:
        Angle between the two speakers and the sweet spot should be about 60 degrees.

Toe-In:
        Speakers should point to a spot about 6" to the side of the listener's ears at the sweet spot.

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by aphexist
          Some of my generalizations I use for stereo speaker setup.

Spacing:
          Tweeters 8 feet apart from each other and cabinets 2 feet from side and back walls.

Placement:
          Angle between the two speakers and the sweet spot should be about 60 degrees.

Toe-In:
          Speakers should point to a spot about 6" to the side of the listener's ears at the sweet spot.
          I pretty much follow what you wrote except the ratio of the side and back distances should be different by a factor of 1.3 or higher to avoid resonances. So, going by the 8ft rule in a 15ft room, it leaves 40" to each side for my room. 40" x 1.3 = 52" to the back wall for my setup. All measurements are to the DRIVERS and not the cabinets.

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

I've used this document as a guide and I am pleased with the results

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
              • Mar 2005

George; Great document. Thanks! Now if I can get my wife to agree to all the new speaker moves.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"