X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

HTMD2... Should I change my center???

I have 800Ds for my fronts and 802Ns for my rear speakers in a 5.1 setup... I use a Classe CP500 for stereo with HT Passthru to a Denon 5083A for HT. I also have a pair of Classe CAM350 mono amps tied to both systems. I have for the center channel a B&W HTM7... I went with this speaker because it could fit into my TV stand. If I go with the HTMD2, I will have to build a shelf above my TV since it won't fit in my stand nor on top of my Qualia 006 TV. Do you think I will notice a major change by going with the HTMD2? The cost isn't a major issue... More of a WAF factor since the center is currenly hidden and now would be on a new shelf above the TV.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

yes. you would notice a major difference even if you went with the htm3s. the Nhtm1 was a great step up from the Nhtm2...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ColoKurt
      • Mar 2005

With the 800Ds in the front, I would guess that you would do better with no center channel speaker than with the HTM7. Your preamp should split the center channel signal equally between your 800Ds which should image the sound almost perfectly at their midpoint.

Comment

• Ash
        • Dec 2004

If I spent as much as you did on all those speakers, just to have the perfect setup. And I'm sure thats your objective. I would definatly won't have the HTM7 between them. I would never allow such a weak link to be there. I would build a little building to place it on, if I had to. So since money is not a factor I think you should go for it and get the HTMD2.

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

Viper, yes change your center speaker. However, I put my HTM1 on top of my tv at first, then down in front. In front, provided a MAJOR improvement in many respects when compared to the top position. DanR (a respected member) has also come to the same conclusion. Dan has an awsome system like you. He kept it on his tv for several years then placed it in front, he was wowed. :E

On top you will need to provide a 15 degree tilt or greater.
          You may want to consider another mono block for the center. I found the HTM1 works great with my N802's. The midrange presentation between the front three speakers is beautiful. Yours will be likewise :T

Jeff

Comment

• Stockinv
            • Jan 2005

Center Above Fireplace

I'm having a system installed in the next few weeks. I was planning on having the center speaker, a HTM2D, put above my plasma, which is above my fireplace. Your experience makes me rethink this. However, if I locate the center speaker below the plasma, it will block the fireplace and I'll be unable to use it. What's an ideal height for the center speaker? Also, how important is it to have a monoblock for the center. I'm planning on using a 7 channel amp for the center and rears and monos for the mains.

Comment

• Ash
              • Dec 2004

The "IDEAL" hight is to have the tweeter at ears level for your seating position. But thats often difficult to achieve with the center speaker, due to the TV being in the way!

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                • Mar 2005

Thanks guys... You've convinced me. Now all I have to do is convice my wife! Wish me luck.

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

Viper, just tell your wife that $ isn't a big issue and it should be ok. :B

Stockinv, it sounds like your center channel will be high. If your tv is above your fireplace and your center speaker is above your tv.... I assume your front r/l speakers will be mounted in the walls next to the tv? Or will they be down on the floor next to the fire place? I must say I haven't listed to a system with that type of configuration so I'm hesitant to say anything against it.

Myself, I've configured my system in front of my fireplace. I figure if I want to have a fire it'll have to be upstairs. Frankly with my wide screen tv and equipment, it's hard to tell there's a fireplace behind it. A person just sees a wall of brick in the backgound with is nice.

I'm not recommending you do the same, I just wanted to through that in there. Good luck on your HT room, it sounds nice.

Comment

• jericho
                    • Dec 2004

I just got my HTM-1D in combination with my 800D looks wonderful.Is a terrible speaker, if you want I post a picture.

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

id like to see the picture... what do you mean by "Is a terrible speaker"?
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• johan
                        • Dec 2004

Jericho, pictures now!!! It would be great to see that frontline!!

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                          • Mar 2005

Jericho; I just ordered the HTM2D yesterday... Are you saying it is a terrible speaker? Or did you say the HTM1D is a terrible speaker? Why?

Comment

• Stevebez
                            • Oct 2003

I would say 800D's deserve a HTM1D although it is a bit of a monster size wise. I will match a HTM2D to my 803D's hopefully by Christmas and cannot wait. Placement is difficult, and to me depends on where you cross over the unit. A high crossover (>80hz) is more flexible and can facilitate a higher position and a lower cross over should require a lower position to aid bass response.

The HTM1D and 2D have pretty good response down to 40hz .. so it will require some crossing for remainder of range to sub - for what little there is in the centre channel feed in 5.1/7.1. If you use 3 or 5 channel stereo for music, this will become an important consideration.

PLEASE let us know how this HTM2D comes along - as I am prepping myself to placing an order!

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• jericho
                              • Dec 2004

I just placed the htm1-d between the two 800d.It's really a very big speaker.I was a little startled when I first saw it.I now ordered the new ASW-875 sub but here in Belgium you can't have it before the end of the month october.Afterwards I'm going to order two 802d as surround speaker.I will be using them in my room upstairs which is 8 x 10 meter.In my room downstairs I have four 805 in combination with the old htm-1(Sorry for picture but the wife is in front).I'm just using there a bad surround amplifier JVC and it's sounding quiet well, but the old htm-1 comparerd with the new "hummer" htm-1d is the same as comparing the 805 with a 802.The weight of the new speaker is almost 100 kilogram.

The only problem I'm having is that I can't decide which amplifiers the use with the speakers upstairs in my room.It's going to be McIntosh MX-135 in combination with the mono 501 block (five pieces) or the Classe SSP-600 with the CA-M400 (five pieces)
                              Sorry guys for my bad English but in Belgium we only speak Dutch and French.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Stockinv
                                • Jan 2005

HTM2D Above Fireplace

Jeff, my l/r mains (802D's) will be on the floor on both sides of the fireplace. If I put the center above my plasma, it will be about 7 feet high. Of course the alternative is to put it in front of the fireplace. I'm sure it will sound better that way, but it will block the fireplace and somewhat clutter the look of the room. If I put the center above the plasma, you wouldn't see it because it will be behind some black fabric. I'm still debating what to do, but I need to make up my mind this week, as I'm going to start installation soon.

Comment

• Ash
                                  • Dec 2004

Jericho,

Amazing speakers. I love the HTM1D, man those things are HUGE. CAn you still listen to the N805 5 HTM1 combination after listening to the monster speakers you use in your room???

Comment

• Jeff
                                    • Dec 2004

Stockinv, with the mid range of the 802's being about 3 feet high and your center at 7 feet, it's only a 4 foot differance. If your running better equipment it will reduce or remove the directional aspect of the audio presentation (closing your eyes and having difficulty determining where the speakers are). Plan on a 20 degree angle for your center speaker. By doing so this should reduce the distinction between your center and f/l speakers. You may do pretty well at achieving a "wall of sound". That would be cool.

I assume your sub will be further away. I know a lot of people feel subs are non directional, but I stongly disagree. Granted they are less directional than primary speakers, but anyone with an audio ear can tell a sub is away from the action ( a problem which I've had). It's not a big issue with 2 channel audio. But when you turn the sub up to watch a movie, that'll change the environment.

Lately, I've been watching movies with f/r speakers set at large with the sub at the appropriate setting. At my place it seems to even out the lower frequencies.

Don't forget to take pictures of the construction of your room to share with us at HTguide. I'm looking forward to it. If you remember, send me a pm, I don't want to miss it.

Jerico, WOW that speaker is deep!! Is it intented to sit flat on the floor?? I wonder if they recommend a speaker stand so the carpet doesn't absorb certain frequencies?
                                    Very impressive.

Jeff

Comment

• johan
                                      • Dec 2004

WOW Jericho!!!!
                                      Hope you have a solid floor, there is some weight to it now. If I ever go to Belgium I'll stop by at your place, it must look and sound truly amazing!

Comment

• Stockinv
                                        • Jan 2005

Room Before Construction

Jeff, here is a picture of the room prior to construction. The bookcases on each side of the fireplace will be moved about 16 inches to the corners of the room and the mains will be located on each side of the fireplace. A plasma tv will replace the current tv. The important question is where to place the center. I can build a shelf above the plasma, or put it on a stand on the floor. My primary seating is about 12 feet from the tv. Also, the sub would probably go against a side wall. Any suggestions?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• EAmin
                                          • Aug 2004

Jericho,

Awesome set up. Please keep us posted on what monoblocks you go with and how the hummer is sounding.

BTW, it's nice to see some "24" fans abroad. I LOVE 24. Glad to see it has some fanfare overseas.

Comment

• Miroku
                                            • Jul 2004

24 is absolutely massive in Japan. When I was in Tokyo I went to a video rental shop, and they probably had about 30 racks of videos in the whole store, and iirc 3 of them were devoted to 24's first 3 seasons. Not bad, for one series to own 10% of a store hah.

Comment

• weijst
                                              • Jun 2004

That's some nice gear you have there jericho, and those speakers look impressive too... :B

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you... ops:
                                              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• jericho
                                                • Dec 2004

No problem Weijst, I take it as a compliment

Comment

• Jeff
                                                  • Dec 2004

Stockinv, given your set up I wouldn't think of placing the center in front of your fireplace. I would go for building a shelf above the tv. Don't recess it and place a black cloth over it. That will just reduce those crystal clear mid and upper ranges. What ever you build, make sure to retain the flexibility of changing the forward tilt.

You may have to play around with the sub's placement. Hopefully your first position will be the best or at least adequate for the job.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"