X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

timbre matching / diff brand center?

I should know better, but I'm hoping to get some answers from people who've tried this:

I have B&W 703's up front, 705's in back, and an HTM7 in the center. I've had my setup for a year now (Rotel 1068, 1075, and 1060 dvd), and have re-discovered how much you can love 2 channel stereo music. I bought the system thinking I'd mostly watch movies, and have switched to lots of music because it sounds so good.

That being said, I still watch my share of movies, and can now hear that difference between the HTM7 and 703's, which I suspect is caused by the different cross-over and the FST driver. In the long run, I want to upgrade my speakers, and will do so based on how the front 2-channels sound for stereo. I'll build the home theater around whatever brand/model of front speakers I pick (I can't afford 2 systems). I'll probably switch to B&W 803S (can't afford 803Ds I don't think), or another brand (Aerial Acoustics 7B's are a possibility), and would thusly match my center channel to that.

So, in the meantime, I'm not happy with the HTM7. I won't be able to change my other speakers for some time (2-4 years). What can I expect to experience by buying the matching center for either the B&W 803S or the Aeriel Acoustics 7B NOW and running it with my B&W 703's for a while?

Again, I know this is a no-no, and would never do it myself, but I can't alter my budget for about 2-4 years. Just trying to decide if I'd be ahead to tough it out and wait for 2-4 years, or if i can improve what I have now and make it better later.
  • Ryx
    • Oct 2005

If you plan on upgrading to the 803Ss in the future, it my be benificial to try the HTM3S to see if it matches with your 703s any better. (if the lack of the fst driver is what causes your mismatch problem, then the HTM3S with the fst may do the trick)
    I have never tried this combination and can not comment on how well they would integate, however if you can do a demo of this setup, it may be a good solution to you problem!

Comment

• tdiciple
      • Nov 2005

I just got HTM3S to match my 804. Before I was using HTM7.

Boy what an improvement. You can feel the sound field in front of you, instead of sound coming from the speaker.

Comment

• K.K.
        • Jul 2005

While waithing for my HTM3S to arrive, I continued using my old Celestion centre speaker with my 803S. Although it didn't sound bad, it didn't sound right either. And when I got my HTM3S, it was a revelation. The seamless integration is excellent and highly recommended. If you plan to upgrade to the 803S, go with the HTM3S.

Comment

• azsyno
          • Oct 2005

I'm having issues with the same thing - although in my case I am using a 600 series center and it's just not 'right'. Yesterday I went to the trusted B&W Drug Dealer and listened to the 800 series center... much better. The dealer agreed that the Htm7 isn't working out so well with 703's and suggested I try this one.. I think I'm in love.

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

Any opinions on the HTMS3 vs the HTMS4? I'd expect the full range HTMS3 to sound more full because it directly matches the 803S and 804S, but I've also been told there are not too many low end sounds in the center channel, and I'd not miss the woofers in the HTMS4.

Also, how does the HTMS3 integrate with the 803S or 804S with respect to low-end? I noticed the 803S and 804S are open/ported (for the woofers), where the HTM3 is sealed.

Comment

• tdiciple
              • Nov 2005

Grit,

The HTM3S have FST drivers, which will match the 803, and the 804. I would think that it would be better suited for 803s & 804s companion than the HTM4S.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by grit
                Any opinions on the HTMS3 vs the HTMS4? I'd expect the full range HTMS3 to sound more full because it directly matches the 803S and 804S, but I've also been told there are not too many low end sounds in the center channel, and I'd not miss the woofers in the HTMS4.

Also, how does the HTMS3 integrate with the 803S or 804S with respect to low-end? I noticed the 803S and 804S are open/ported (for the woofers), where the HTM3 is sealed.
                As K.K. already said, the HTM3S and 803S's integrate seamlessly as would the 804S's. While the HTM3S is a full range speaker it's not exactly what I call FULL range. Still it extends further into the lower region than the HTM4S can. Depending on how you will manage bass in your system this slight advantage might be for not.

The primary reason for using the HTM3S, aside from matching drivers across the front, is the improved clarity and openess you'll hear that is obviously missing from the HTM4S. Though I think the HTM3S commands a lofty price tag, I haven't any regrets for purchasing it. I can't say I would have felt the same had I picked the HTM4S just to save a few bucks.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"