X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

B&W Dealer event

One of our local dealers, San Francisco Stereo, hosted Krell CEO Dan D'Agostino the other night to introduce his new Revolution line. In a word, incredible! As for the price of the components: if you have to ask, you can't afford them. This event took place at SF Stereo's Mountain View store (in Silicon Valley for those unfamiliar with the location). There was a drawing for a Krell 400xi integrated amp. Unfortunately, I didn't win it. Oh well.
    I took some photos with my wife's camera phone. Pardon the poor resolution.
    Attached Files
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Those look really nice! I take it from the size those are going to be a digital Amp line (talking about second picture from the left)? Or is that a lot bigger than the the picture looks? I don't follow Krell a whole lot so forgive my ignorance!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

No PewterTA, thats not digital amps. Second from the left is a one channel poweramp,(it is bigger than it looks). You'll need two sets of those. Pic in the middle is a 2 channel pre-amp, Totally separated (channel-wise, power supply*2).
      So, to be able to listen to 2-channel music you'll need 8 boxes!!! Available in black too...

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Okay I figured looking at it that it was a monoblock, but for some reason it just looked really small from what I'm used to seeing from Krell, guess it's just the picture. Thanks!
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

Pewter:

They're monsters. Each amp has its own self-cleaning power supply. Each preamp has its own power supply. Each amp gets one preamp. D'Agostino says his two-channel systems will always be analog. He said the styling was inspired by Robbie the Robot from the movie Forbidden Planet.
          Amps are $50,000 a pair.
          Preamps are $40,000 a pair.
          D'Agostino also told me that when he listens to amps from his older lines, he now can tell that they have a certain signature that emphasizes bass. He says he hasn't heard any coloration of sound with this line, but what else is he going to say?
          Integrated vs. separates: regardless how good an integrated is, it's a compromise and not equal to separate amp and preamp.
          Speaking of integrateds: I asked him why the 400xi came out so soon after the 300il. His answer: he found volume knobs. When the 300il first came out, he couldn't find the right part for a volume knob. There's no difference between the two units, he said, although he feels that the 400xi is better overall.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

you sure you didn't win the giveaway amp? I spoke with Derek at SF Stereo and he said some guy named Mark got the giveaway.

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

It wasn't me, I swear. Different Mark. I wish it had been me.

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

Just for my personal view they look like Christmas trees all lit up in blue - not my choice at all.

Comment

• jahlion
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by caleb
                  Just for my personal view they look like Christmas trees all lit up in blue - not my choice at all.
                  I'm sure the LED's can be dimmed.

Those prices are absolutely crazy!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"